Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Clear Bottles

Guest System Admin

I've read that clear bottles are not advised because they let light in and lead to skunky beer. Is it only sunlight that damages the beer or house light as well? I have a ton of clear bottles (new castle) that I would like to use.

You could use the clear bottles. If you do, be sure to condition in a daqrk place, like maybe a hallway closet ot somewhere you would not get any light. Actually from what I've read it's the UV light that will skunk out a beer so artificial light would be ok (preferably incandecent). so if you got'em go ahead and use'em. but be fore warned. BTW that would look really cool for presentation of your beer.

Florescent lights will skunk the beer too. Tried a bottle of Newcastle the other day. Couldn't drink it it smelled so stinky.

You can use clear bottles, but just keep them out of the light while conditioning and storing. Those are called vampire beers.

Guest System Admin

So does bottle priority go like this:
1) Brown(always good)
2) Green (next best if you can't get brown)
3) Clear (least desired, but will work and produce good beer if protected from light)

I have a buddy that is a Huge new castle drinker, do he gives me lots of free bottles. I use them for cider and for my hard lemonade that I just bottled. I LOVE how they say the one and only in the glass, makes for good presentation with a label directly below. I Prolly will use them for beer at one point since I keep my brew in 24 pack beer boxes lined and covered with a black trash bag.

Guest System Admin

According to gelighting.com both incandescent and flourescent bulbs emit UV radiation/light. Though this is not generally harmful to us, many bacteria love even a small amount. So for most of us, clear glass is out.

as stated, if you have clear glass bottles, just treat them as you would a Vampire you want to keep around for a while. Keep them out of the the light and you'll be fine. The UV light interacts with the Hops and produces a Skunky smell/taste. So just keep them in the dark... or paint them black...oh oh... old rolling stones song is fermenting in me head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BhHTA6Gzn0

Beer Daddy wrote:

So does bottle priority go like this:
1) Brown(always good)
2) Green (next best if you can't get brown)
3) Clear (least desired, but will work and produce good beer if protected from light)

I may be wrong, but I don't think green is any better than clear for blocking UV light.

From the articles I have read and watching the Basic Brewing Skunking Video it would seem that green glass does offer some protection but not as much as brown. I was also very surprised by the rapid rate with which the exposed beers skunked.

I always store mine in a dark closet with no direct sunlight in closed 12 pack boxes. I have used brown, amber(Not sure what the official color is but clearly less brown than brown), green, and clear. I have not had any skunked beer.

Back in my younger day, I drank a little (read alot) Miller HighLife in clear bottles. Let it sit in the light or some heat = SKUNK otherwise a good factory beer. Brown bottles all the way for me, I even like them to be in the dark, except when the fridg is open, maybe should take the bulb out, never mind they don't stay in there that long anyway.

Guest System Admin

My main concern is the light while storing them in the fridge. They stay in a dark closet during conditioning and all other times. I'll just have to drink my other beer quicker so I have more of the dark bottles. :woohoo:

Tim28 wrote:

My main concern is the light while storing them in the fridge. They stay in a dark closet during conditioning and all other times. I'll just have to drink my other beer quicker so I have more of the dark bottles. :woohoo:

The light in the fridge goes out when you close the door, and the minimal exposure when you open the door isn't going to significantly affect the beer.

I use brown glass bottles, although I should probably treat myself to some Newcastles now and then, and reuse those clear bottles. I carb and condition in a closed closet, and even put the bottles in black plastic garbage bags, to contain any bottle bombs (hasn't happened yet, but better to be safe, sez I).

Guest System Admin

FedoraDave wrote:

Tim28 wrote:

The light in the fridge goes out when you close the door, and the minimal exposure when you open the door isn't going to significantly affect the beer.

I use brown glass bottles, although I should probably treat myself to some Newcastles now and then, and reuse those clear bottles. I carb and condition in a closed closet, and even put the bottles in black plastic garbage bags, to contain any bottle bombs (hasn't happened yet, but better to be safe, sez I).

I do realize the light goes out :S I was thinking that if it sits in there two weeks or more and gets opened 40 times, I'm not sure how much light affects it.

Tim28 wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

Tim28 wrote:

I do realize the light goes out :S I was thinking that if it sits in there two weeks or more and gets opened 40 times, I'm not sure how much light affects it.

I wouldn't worry about the light from opening the refrigerator door. The light that causes the reacion in hops is UV light. Unless you're using a CFL bulb in the refrigerator (which isn't likely due to the delay they have in lighting) or unless you've got fluorescent lighting in the room and stand with the door open for prolonged periods, the beer isn't getting significant exposure to the light.

I have a few clear Newcastle bottles and I like to do one beer from each batch in it so I can see the beer's color and make note of the trub accumulation.

As mentioned above, I also like the tagline in the glass B)

In my previous post I was just kidding about the fridg light, meaning I open the door quite a few times some nights. I'm sure the light would have no bad effects.