Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ZekesWickedHardCoreBrew

First 5 Gallon Batch Brewed

Well I finally got the 5 gallon kit going last night. I brewed an Irish Red Ale , Here was the Kit:

6 lb. Gold liquid malt extract, 12 oz. Caramel 40L, 2 oz. Special B, 2 oz. Roasted Barley specialty grains, 1 oz. Cascade, 1 oz. Fuggle pellet hops

I used the White Labs WLP01 California Ale Yeast with this.

It was a 30 min steep at 155 degrees and then a 60 min boil.

1 oz cascades for 60 mins
1 oz fuggles for 4 mins

I have the stainless steel wort chiller and it worked great. got the Wort down to 80 degrees in under 7 mins.

I had an extra pouch of booster left over so I added this to the boil as well.

Oricinal gravity = 1.050 at 68 degrees. I will check on this in a week and see when I will rack it to the secondary.

I am very pleased with my first attempt we will see how the end results are.

FWIW I got the whole Kit and Kaboodle from Midwest Supplies , it was their everything plus a carboy kit.

that is why you got the temp down so fast if you did a full volume boil it would have taken 10 to 15 mins to chill to 68, at least for me. My water comes out of the well at 50*.

My brewpot is 16 qts but I kept it lower to avoid a boil over.

Can't wait to brew the next batch. I already ordered another 6.5 gallon fermentor ( pail) and a 6 gallon better bottle for a secondary. :)

The next batch will be an English Mild ....( extract kit from Williams Brewing)

a 6 gallon better bottle for a secondary.

That is to big for the secondary you run the risk of oxidation!

haerbob3 wrote:

a 6 gallon better bottle for a secondary.

That is to big for the secondary you run the risk of oxidation!

Ive always used a 6 gallon carboy for secondary and havent had any problems yet. If you have a kegging system or a CO2 tank after you rack to secondary you can blow all the oxygen out of th etop of the secondary replacing it with CO2

Congrats on expanding your horizons. It's definitely easier to keep you pipeline filled when working bigger batches into your repertoire. Won't be long now before you've got a nine or ten gallon pot and a 50 lb. bag of two row in the corner. Hee hee. :banana:

oly wrote:

Congrats on expanding your horizons. It's definitely easier to keep you pipeline filled when working bigger batches into your repertoire. Won't be long now before you've got a nine or ten gallon pot and a 50 lb. bag of two row in the corner. Hee hee. :banana:

Baby steps Oly baby steps.... my wife isn't yet prepared for the AG set up in the garage yet ... :barman:

you'll get there. All grain is a little rough to do in the kitchen. I will be getting a burner as soon as I go back to work. King Kooker has a dual burner that looks interresting

ZekesWickedHardCoreBrew wrote:

Well I finally got the 5 gallon kit going last night.

Congrats Zeke!

I just bottled my first 5 gal batch this evening. It was a partial grain recipe from my LHBS.

BTW: For you more experienced 5 gal brewers, how many gallons are you able to boil on an electric range? My range is showing it's age, so I had some serious problems, even doing a partial boil.

I found some workarounds on another site, but it's showing obvious that it's time for me to start shopping for a new range. Unfortunately, the way my house is laid out, putting in a gas range is out of the question.

An outside propane burner would be nice in the summer months, but we've had a foot or more of snow around here this winter, so I'd REALLY like to e able to do this inside.

Are you guys having good luck with electric ranges, and if so, what are the specs on the burners?

get yourself an induction range, or single burner. The single you'll be able to use in or outside. The largest element should be able do do a full 5 gallon boil. I had to do a fairly major renovation to my kitchen to have the gas range where I wanted it so I could have the frig where I wanted it. The easy part of that was installing and running a new gas line to that spot. The kitchen originally had no gas.

I'm seriously considering an induction burner. Tabasco has good things to say about the one he bought.

induction_burner-20110225.jpg

Yep this is how I think I will go induction coil Man this will make step mashing a breeze, no worrying about do I have enough propane. At $20 a refill won't be long till it is paid for to boot!

haerbob3 wrote:

get yourself an induction range, or single burner. The single you'll be able to use in or outside. The largest element should be able do do a full 5 gallon boil. I had to do a fairly major renovation to my kitchen to have the gas range where I wanted it so I could have the frig where I wanted it. The easy part of that was installing and running a new gas line to that spot. The kitchen originally had no gas.

Unfortunately, my kitchen sits on a slab with no existing gas line, so the cost and trouble to install gas would be prohibitive. The range I have now came with the house, and it's going to have to be replaced, beer or no beer.

I hadn't thought about an induction range. They are expensive though, typically twice what i was planning to pay for a new electric range.

However, the idea of a single induction burner is quite intriguing. Something like that would allow me to setup a small brew room in my basement.

Thanks for the info!

Take in consideration with an induction range is that they are more efficient than standard electric range. but if a magnet does not stick to you pots and pans you are out of luck. Myself I am going to have to go with a propane burner. There are a couple that can convert to natural gas, I have a NG built in grill on the patio that I can tap into.