Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
greg_herr

More Bottle Bombs!!!!

Help - OK I posted yesterday about how I brewed a batch of Big Ed's Red and bottled the whole thing in 12oz brown bottles scrubbed up from a case of beer from Tommyknocker Brewery in CO. The bottles were stored back in the six pack holders and the case box and put in a dark closet with a consistent temp of around 67 - 70 degrees. Anyway after two weeks on checking I noticed one bottle had burst. Did not think much of it until I checked again after two more weeks and had three more broken. I was thinking that maybe this was a strong batch or I somehow messed it up and put all the remaining brews in a frig to cold lager the rest of the way. No more have burst there, but I had three other boxes in the same closet ( the winter seasonal, defib dobblebock 7.0 and junk yard dog ipa. This morning two of the ipa's burst and one of the winter seasonal's. In a panic I've cleaned as much frig space as I could find (sorry veggies) and now have all in the frig (the wife is psyced). My questions is that one reply to my post yesterday said I may have over sugared the bottles, but I used the measure from MrBeer with the 3/4 tsp for 12 oz bottles and he indicated that he only uses 1/2 tsb... Is that common? Also I used just regular sugar not 'priming sugar' could that be my mistake. I've got three more keg brewing right now and want to be sure I avoid this problem again. Appreciate any input.

I'd be more interested in finding out if the beer was fully fermented or if you bottled early. How long did the wort sit in the fermemtner, temps, etc.?

yankeedag wrote:

I'd be more interested in finding out if the beer was fully fermented or if you bottled early. How long did the wort sit in the fermemtner, temps, etc.?

I am certainly no expert but I have bottled two batches per instructions and I have had no problems with botttle bombs. I did however buy a hydrometer right off from my LHBS so I was sure both batches were ready to bottle. Yankeedag is asking the right questions regarding your problem.

i would say it may be the bottles? it sounds(from your previous post)like you did everything right. i have 10 gallons(none have 2 hme 1 ume) but i primed with regular sugar and have had no problems. your bottles might be thin or something? ive used sam adams, grolsch, fischer, and corona with plenty of success(so far, and i know...corona right?)

I use 3/4 tsp pure sugar per 12 oz bottle and haven't had a bomb yet (knock on wood). I would agree that it is either not done fermenting or you may have filled them too high.

On the MrB scoop do you go to the first notch on the 3/4 side? I'm new at this too, but I've bottled a lot with table sugar and had no problems & good carb.

Have you considered batch priming?

I've batch primed every batch I've done, but for one of them. I've never had a bottle explode.

how long did you let it ferment? thats the right amount of sugar. it must not have been fully fermented.

I have not had a bottle bomb so far. I did notice that some 12oz bottles are 12 oz to-the-top. The practical amount is closer to 10 oz. Also true of the 16oz Grolsh bottles I used, they were more like 14oz.
I used the recommended sugar for 12oz in my '12oz' bottles anyway and so far not mess.
With some brews that might make a difference because you may use too much sugar with out realizing it.

Just guessing...

When you open a non broken bottle, does it gush out of the bottle or is it really carbed up? If not, maybe the bottles are not thick enough for multiple uses.

FedoraDave wrote:

I've never had a bottle explode.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAID THAT! THAT'S LIKE TALKING ABOUT A STREAK WHEN YOU"RE ON A STREAK!!

As somebody once told me, there are two types of brewers - those that have had bottle bombs, and those who will. :laugh:

Kealia wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAID THAT! THAT'S LIKE TALKING ABOUT A STREAK WHEN YOU"RE ON A STREAK!!

As somebody once told me, there are two types of brewers - those that have had bottle bombs, and those who will. :laugh:

that's funny. :P

crazybrody wrote:

Kealia wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

that's funny. :P

The reason he hasn't had any bottle bombs is because he typically and frequently sacrifices a Hydrometer and thermomoter to the Beer Gawds.

Good Evening Everyone - I really appreciate all the quick feedback. Just to toss back a few answers to some of the questions that came out.

I fermented all to the instructions and although I did not have a hydro I tasted and did not taste overly sweet on any. For the Big Ed's Red I went 23 days, instructions call for 3 weeks. All others went 14 days on the dot. Does it hurt go longer as a standard... I'm all about patience if it means I get to drink the stuff.

On the sugar measure I made it flat to the bottom of the notch not any higher. My 1st bottled batch, the cowboy ale that came with the kit, was bottled in the same bottles without problem, but I suppose these brews are bigger and therefore more room for this type of stuff. Honestly the bottles don't feel that thick maybe just cause they came from my fav micro brewery does not mean they are good. Pic attached. bottle-20110221.jpg

Have not opened one yet to test the carb... the Winter seasonal will have gone 4 weeks on 3/5 and that was when I was going to test it. So far putting everything in the frig seems to have calmed down my bombs, but the bad news about that is that may be a sign I bottled too soon and they are gonna suck...

Also I'm in the NW Panhandle of Florida and although my storage temps are very consistent between 67 and 72 the humidity can swing from 40% to 80%... Could that be a factor?

Thanks again for the input... I think when I bottle the next three I'm gonna use some mrbeer plastic, half gallon growlers and maybe one six pack of 12oz.

I'm a little baffled here. I've done about 10 recipes or so with no bottle bombs. On the other hand i did have a few volcano bottles in my very first batch. I chalk that up to moving the keg to my bottling spot and not giving it time to settle before actually bottling, so i got more trub in the bottle. Could this be a possibility for your exploding bottles?

Kegs were keep totally still for the 3 or 2 weeks with a temp gauge right next to the kegs to check for consistent temps. I did move them to the kitchen for bottling and did bottle as much as possible... even some fairly cloudy stuff at the end. I wish I had marked the bottles as I filled I would know if the last ones were the bombs, huh?

yeah, check the trub levels. Humidity won't matter.. I live in south Texas.. it was invented here apparently. Beer in the fridge.. well, that puts the yeast to sleep. a delima. you might have to bring the timps up to 55* and age for 6 months.

Kealia wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

I've been lucky so far. The only bottle bomb I've had was when I was using PETs and they had a sale on 1 liter root beer in amber bottles. I was soaking them in oxiclean to try to neutralize the odor. It worked, but I put too much in one bottle and it blew and spewed cleaner all over several rooms.

I think i've narrowed down the problem. You see, there was a high pressure system coming through when a low pressure system tried to push it out of the way creating a very dangerous Friction Layer. Well the High pressure systems girlfriend, Delores (a High Front), got really pissed at the low pressure system and decided to threw Clear Air Turbulance at the Low pressure system causing mass confusion between all the pressures and fronts. Therefore the bottles didn't know if the pressure in the bottles was too high or too low due to the weird pressure differences outside and causing them to die a painful death of explosion!

greg_herr wrote:

Honestly the bottles don't feel that thick maybe just cause they came from my fav micro brewery does not mean they are good. Pic attached. bottle-20110221.jpg

Also I'm in the NW Panhandle of Florida and although my storage temps are very consistent between 67 and 72 the humidity can swing from 40% to 80%... Could that be a factor?

How are you getting Tommyknocker in Florida?

Based on everything written my best guest would be to suspect the bottles. I have used Tommyknocker bottles without problems, but I don't have a lot, and I'm not sure any are in my bottle collection right now. For the most part, if I want a Tommyknocker beer, I get in the car, drive 20 minutes to Idaho Springs and get it on tap. I wonder if something about the trip from Idaho Springs to Florida was rough on the bottles causing some sort of structural weakness.

Good luck.

esheppy wrote:

How are you getting Tommyknocker in Florida?

Ok, I looked on their website and see they do distribute out there.

I didn't think their brewery was big enough to handle much more than the brew pub and local distribution, but I guess I was wrong.

I still suspect, your bottles, though.

My local beer and wine store orders special for me, but yes they go from CO to Tampa and then back up to the panhandle. Plus not as fresh as what I'd get even when Tommyknocker does the doorway firesales for $20 a case (or at least they use to). I lived in Breck and Silverthorne for 12 years and the butthead has been one of my favorite beers for years. I wish I was 20 mins away the micro brew beer scene in FL is the pitts!

D Rabbit wrote:

I think i've narrowed down the problem. You see, there was a high pressure system coming through when a low pressure system tried to push it out of the way creating a very dangerous Friction Layer. Well the High pressure systems girlfriend, Delores (a High Front), got really pissed at the low pressure system and decided to threw Clear Air Turbulance at the Low pressure system causing mass confusion between all the pressures and fronts. Therefore the bottles didn't know if the pressure in the bottles was too high or too low due to the weird pressure differences outside and causing them to die a painful death of explosion!

This is why he's the BOM! :laugh: