Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kealia

Spring Seasonal Maibock: How are you brewing it?

I bottled mine yesterday, and the color was beautiful, a little cloudy but I know it will clear up, it tasted great, can't wait , and I moved mine to my garage where the temp stays at 60 to 64 degrees, :stout:

I take it you bought two of these? What yeast are you looking at using (just curious)?

ricewing wrote:

Just brewed up the Spring Maibock. :cheer:

The weather started getting warm last week, I didn't know when I'd be able to get this one started.
Now a cold front has passed through and temps in WV are going to be in the 40s for the next week to 10 days. Figured it was a perfect time to brew then ferment in a cooler in the garage.

OG was 1.060, it's gonna be a good one!! :gulp:

Remember....the waiting is the hardest part!!

I'm using a digital thermometer to keep track of temps. I just put the probe into the cooler with the keg, run the cord outside, close lid and bingo, temp checking is easy.

Hey ricewing, good luck on the brew, I started mine a week ago, and have it in a small fridge. I could not get the fridge to stay at a temp of approx. 55, so I turned it off, and started putting bottles of ice in it(go figure) :laugh: Anyway, it is holding very well. And I wanted to say HI, I am from Charleston, WV.

ricewing wrote:

Just brewed up the Spring Maibock. :cheer:

The weather started getting warm last week, I didn't know when I'd be able to get this one started.
Now a cold front has passed through and temps in WV are going to be in the 40s for the next week to 10 days. Figured it was a perfect time to brew then ferment in a cooler in the garage.

OG was 1.060, it's gonna be a good one!! :gulp:

Remember....the waiting is the hardest part!!

I'm using a digital thermometer to keep track of temps. I just put the probe into the cooler with the keg, run the cord outside, close lid and bingo, temp checking is easy.

Hey ricewing, good luck on the brew, I started mine a week ago, and have it in a small fridge. I could not get the fridge to stay at a temp of approx. 55, so I turned it off, and started putting bottles of ice in it(go figure) :laugh: Anyway, it is holding very well. And I wanted to say HI, I am from Charleston, WV.

I bottled today after 2 weeks. Don't have the hydrometer, but it tasted flat. Will carbonate/condition for 4 to 6 weeks, refrigerate, and try it out.

Have another week to go on mine, going to go 21 days, been keeping it at the bottom aroung 51 deg. then the last couple days will bring it up a little then cold crash for 3 or 4 days.

15 more days for me in the bottles at room temp. Since I let this one ferment for 3 1/2 weeks then lagered for a week before bottling there's a good chance that one may get sacrificed soon. As of tomorrow, they should be done carbing...

I'm new to Mr. Beer and I just started fermenting the Maibock. How did you let it lager before bottling?

Can I put the fermenting keg in a fridge for the last week before bottling or will that be too cold

If you are refering to "cold crashing" AFTER it has fermented for about 21 days, yeah, sure. go for it. But if you're thinking that temp for the last week of fermentation, yeah, WAY to cold for it.

Guest System Admin

I just started mine the end of last week. Getting excited to the process to clean up as it smells really good.

I have company coming in, on or around the 26th of this month, and that will make it about 3 1/2 weeks of carbing and conditioning of this Spring Maibock. I would like opinions on whether or not this beer will be ready to drink. I don't plan on drinking all of it,but I would like to share my first ready beer, not my first brewed beer, which is still conditioning(Witty Monk 3 to 4 months),so the remainder could be conditioned longer.

Do you think the taste will be at or near peak for this particular brew? From replies to this thread, it would seem that this beer only takes 6 weeks total to be ready to drink. Will this one be better with a much longer conditioning time such as the Witty Monk.

Does the taste improve or what?

Just explain it's a young beer, and only have a few of them. Yes, it should get better with age.

I would expect that this one, along with most beers, will get better with time as did the previous Seasonals.

Still waiting.......must....be....patient.....

I'm getting close boys. 4/16 I'm putting some in the fridge. I'll taste on 4/17. Mine have really cleared up nicely. Maybe just a little haze.
Blonde Dynamite is what I'm calling mine. Blond_Dynamite-20110406.jpg

Has ANYBODY tried one yet? I feel like a newb again....dying to try one of these. A few more days...... :woohoo:

Guest System Admin

Kealia wrote:

Has ANYBODY tried one yet? I feel like a newb again....dying to try one of these. A few more days...... :woohoo:

So still being a noob and trying to learn the art of patience, I put one on mine in the fridge yesterday at 3 weeks in the bottle and tried it today. WOW! Now I really can't wait for the next 3 or so weeks to pass by. If the taste today is any indication of what the future holds, these won't last too long. Oh, and carb is really good so I guess my first batch prime was a success! :woohoo:

What FG are you all getting? Mine should be ready to bottle soon. :)

My OG was at 1.060 and it's at 1.020 now.

Quite cloudy yet, I may consider racking to a secondary to cold crash this one. The trub is quite thick (and hanging to the sides) and I think that my sample tonight may have pulled some trub out with it.

photo-6-6.jpg

Guest System Admin

I didnt have a hydrometer when I brewed this batch so I couldn't get an OG but my FG was 1.018.

I'll have to check my notes tonight, but I think my OG was 1.062 and I finished at around 1.016. But that was after raising the temp for a few days before cold crashing for a week.

:huh: 21 days ferm basement 50-59 good head.2days upstairs 60-67.10 days fridge.P+B 14 days in bsmnt.2 day fridge+taste.Crack it...Phiss...IT"S FLAT!!!!!THEIR ALL FLAT!!!!OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...!! I'm new,what did I do?

If I read correctly, ferment 21 days then 2 days at 60-67? I believe 2 days is too short for carb and the temp should have been 68-70.

I did misread, sorry. As YD asked, what did you prime with and how much? And you bottled then put right in the basement to carb which was 50 - 59 degrees?

If I read that right, after you primed and bottled you put them in the basement again at 50-59, right?

Put them at room temp (66-72) for two weeks and then try one again.

valid question: What was the temp for the carbination portion of this endevour? and...you stored them at what temp? If it was all cold, your yeast may not have had time to do squat for carbination...

Just popped one in the fridge....tomorrow she will be mine.
Oh yes, she will be mine.

I can't wait to wrap my hands around her sweet curves and watch the beads of sweat slowly drip down her neck while the anticipation builds.
Then, that sweet first hint of her aroma will drift into my nose, teasing my senses.

Then, once I've fully eyed her beautiful body I'll take her. Slowly at first and then likely in a crazed rampage to have more of her....

Bottled last night, now the waiting game. I think it's go'na be good. Cold crashed for 3 days. looking good

Guest System Admin

Kealia wrote:

Just popped one in the fridge....tomorrow she will be mine.
Oh yes, she will be mine.

I can't wait to wrap my hands around her sweet curves and watch the beads of sweat slowly drip down her neck while the anticipation builds.
Then, that sweet first hint of her aroma will drift into my nose, teasing my senses.

Then, once I've fully eyed her beautiful body I'll take her. Slowly at first and then likely in a crazed rampage to have more of her....

So, how was she? :P

Have to let you know tonight/tomorrow.
I didn't get a chance to partake of her last night as planned.

I'm drinking mine & they are fantastic. Once again, Mr Beer makes a winner. Great head/lacing, great taste & real smooth. I'm going to pop one right now. Cheers! :gulp: Blonde_Dynamite_Sample.jpg

Just put mine into a cooler for a 3 week nap... I hit 1.060 ish on the hydrometer, went to the "q" line.

I've had a few of these. To me they were just ok. I thought there was a weird hop twang. My wife really liked it though. I brewed it straight up except adding a 1/2 pack of booster and I switched the yeast to US-05.

ammob1013 wrote:

I've had a few of these. To me they were just ok. I thought there was a weird hop twang. My wife really liked it though. I brewed it straight up except adding a 1/2 pack of booster and I switched the yeast to US-05.

So...that wouldn't be 'straight-up' then since you changed two things, would it? ;)

Not picking on you as I've actually seen a lot of posts lately saying things like "I brewed it exactly like MrB said to except that didn't use....or I added....." and I think it's funny. (I added the bold)

In any case, I had one last night and it was nothing like I expected. I don't know that I've ever had a maibock before so I had a pre-conceived notion of what I *thought* it would be like. I was expecting a hoppy and malty kick in the teeth based on the Fall Seasonal.

What I got was a super clean lager with a nice crisp taste and a sweet honey flavor. Not too unlike a honey wheat that I did a while back (many similar recipes on here).

Was it good? Yes. But it was so far from what I expected that I'm not sure I fully appreciated it. It's sort of like grabbing a sports bottle and expecting to get a mouthful of water but instead getting Gatorade. Is it good? Sure, but it wasn't what you expected.

Fortunately, I have 22 more bottles to really take it in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed. I really like the clean taste and the hint of honey sweetness in the finish. In fact, I was trying to replicate that same sweet finish in my hef a while back - but that's another story.

So.....I would summarize this as a lighter, crisper very clean brew with a nice (but not over-powering) aroma with a light, sweet honey finish. VERY drinkable and possibly my clearest brew yet which I would attribute to the yeast and the lagering + cold crashing.

Need to pop some more in the fridge now!

First look:

maibock1.jpg

(It's a frosted glass so the clarity is a bit fogged up)

I assume by cold crashing you mean in the keg right?

Hmmm, I went straight to bottle with priming... Hope it clears up while conditioning...

Guest System Admin

BigPapaG wrote:

I assume by cold crashing you mean in the keg right?

Hmmm, I went straight to bottle with priming... Hope it clears up while conditioning...

I cold crash in keg. You can transfer to a secondary (or something like a slimline) then cold crash that if you prefer. I also raised my keg temp up for 3 days before cold crashing.

Mine was still somewhat cloudy when I bottled (after a week of cold crash) but it will be 6 weeks in the bottle this weekend and I can watch TV though the bottles. I got one in the fridge that I'll be trying tonight.

Don't sweat it, they will clear up whether you cold crashed or not.

I haven't had one of these since my first try almost a week ago due to schedules, a slight cold, blah blah blah.

Hoping to have another one tonight.

Kealia wrote:

I haven't had one of these since my first try almost a week ago due to schedules, a slight cold, blah blah blah.

Hoping to have another one tonight.

Let us know how it is....

OK, I had the second one last night and it was mighty different than the first one. Could have been the time in the fridge, my perception or any other of a million factors. In any case...

It poured with a nice head and a perfectly clear golden color. The head didn't disappear right away as with the first one that I poured.
The aroma is slightly hoppy with a hint of honey sweetness, but cloyingly so.

I'd have to describe the taste as nicely hop-forward but the honey malt presence is there, too. It finishes pretty dry which is nice.

In short: very different than anything I've brewed yet.

Another winner. You will be pleased.

Kealia wrote:

It poured with a nice head and a perfectly clear golden color. The head didn't disappear right away as with the first one that I poured.
The aroma is slightly hoppy with a hint of honey sweetness, but cloyingly so.

I'd have to describe the taste as nicely hop-forward but the honey malt presence is there, too. It finishes pretty dry which is nice.

Good description.
Just tried mine tonight only been 2 1/2 weeks since bottled, but very good, I know it needs some more time. It was a little sweeter then I thought it would be, nice little hop flavor. A couple more weeks it'll be excellent. I brewed mine on the lower end around 50 52 deg. I also cold crashed for 4 days, it's very clear. I would do this brew again if offered.

Kealia wrote:

OK, I had the second one last night and it was mighty different than the first one. Could have been the time in the fridge, my perception or any other of a million factors. In any case...

The aroma is slightly hoppy with a hint of honey sweetness, but not cloyingly so.

Whoops - added bold above to correct my statement.

Had first liter of this on May 2nd. Has a dark golden color, the head was thick and large, does not dissipate quickly, actually stays around quite a while. It has a sweet and bitter taste, but no after taste. Has a heavier taste not crisp and light like the standard ales. I'm not a sweet beer drinker, I like bitter, so this is the last I'll brew this. In fact I can't believe I have 5 more liters left, not sure I'll be able to get through it all. If you like your beer on the sweeter heavier side this may appeal to you.

Not bad, just not to my taste.

:cheers: Drank my first one of these on Sunday night to celebrate the death of a madman :50cal: I thought it was a very fine tasty beer a little sweet but not overly very clean finish for me and now i am sad that i only have the one batch :(

Guest System Admin

You guys are killing me!!!

I screwed up and did not order in time, the day I went to place order was sold out :(

Drank my first two 16 oz. tonight, and I enjoyed. Not a connoisseur, but taste very good. Will invite a few friends to help with these. But this is only my second beer that I have tried from Mr. Beer, and I like it very much. It does have a nice head, and the carbonation looks real nice. Anyway, very happy and excited.

Anyone else?

Guest System Admin

amerikes wrote:

Drank my first two 16 oz. tonight, and I enjoyed. Not a connoisseur, but taste very good. Will invite a few friends to help with these. But this is only my second beer that I have tried from Mr. Beer, and I like it very much. It does have a nice head, and the carbonation looks real nice. Anyway, very happy and excited.

Anyone else?

Funny you should ask, I had one of these tonight after 8 weeks in the bottle and it is very good. I wish I had put a few more in the fridge. Only strange thing is that 2 weeks ago when I tested one, the head was about 3/4 inch but tonight it was maybe a 1/4 inch. Only thing I did was moved them to the basement for the last 2 weeks where the temp is about 8 to 10 degree cooler. Either way, very good beer.

Having another tonight. Like most beers, this one only gets better.

Good stuff MrB.

i agree. it is really good. im almost done with all of them (drinking) and really not happy that i did not get more than one damm. :angry:

I had one of these 10 days ago, and it seemed a little...too much? Like wort soup... Left as few in the fridge and had another last night - wow, what a difference 9 days made. Nice taste. Guess it needed just that little bit of extra time.

ill be drinking the last of mine this weekend before i goto florida :(
and im still mad i did not get more than one. ill brew a 2011 Summer Seasonal the day before i leave for two weeks yea!!!

I'm seeing a definite pattern with the seasonals of people saying "I wish I ordered more....". I have yet to see anybody say "Glad I only ordered one!"

I'm glad that I have about 10 more of these hanging around conditioning...

Then you didn't read mine. Too sweet, too heavy. Last of this for me.

Bizdoc wrote:

Then you didn't read mine. Too sweet, too heavy. Last of this for me.

I stand corrected.

This was my first seasonal and I am to am soooo disappointed that I only ordered one of these. But I am elated that I was able to sample prior it to ordering the summer seasonal. So I ordered two Imp. Hefe!

Pretty much looks like mine, although I didn't chill mine real cold, and it looks clearer.
This is a real good beer. Perfect record, never disappointed with a MrB seasonal. I lager brewed with the lager yeast, got lucky with temps in my garage over six weeks ago. It really worked out nice.
Summary: another great beer with another taste not quite like any other brew that I've done. Now, see, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' BOUT! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God, I love this stuff. It taste pretty balanced to me. Full bodied, almost heavy. I didn't really hit the OG/FG targets. Don't care.
It's got enough alc, and it taste good, and is a real treat.

I just drank another tonight and at 1 month in the bottle it's getting really good.

Seasonal = countless times better then any of the standard refills

amerikes wrote:

Anyone else?

To follow up on this brew, I had a liter bottle of this last night, and I think it tasted better after another week. Like others have reported, it has a very rich thickness to it and a more sweet than I expected, kind of filling. I really liked it though, because it was so much different than the American Devil IPA that I had with it last night. Also, as reported, it had a nice head of about 1" after pouring it fairly slow into my glass, and did maintain the head for some time.

I enjoyed it, and the ADIPA that I drank. It too tasted better after more conditioning, but a fairly striking contrast to the Spring Maibock.

As long we are commenting on this brew I'll report again on my thoughts. I'm into 7 weeks after bottling, it's good and I'd make it again, it's different then what I'd call my favorite type of beer, starts off with a good hop flavor/bite finishes with a sweet after taste. This ones gotta' be cold to enjoy (I drink some of my brews at room temp) and yes as with all, gets better with age.

Guest System Admin

The Maibock was my 6th batch of Mr. Beer and my second seasonal. I was extremely impressed with the amount of body and flavor the winter ale had and still have a few resting in my refrigerator, enjoying them at slow intervals.

As for the Spring, I generally am a big fan of Bocks (and lagers in general) because of the big body and malty-ness. However when I first tried this seasonal, I was kind of disappointed. It was very weak in flavor. I may have slightly over carbed it by mistake, which may not help, but it was very weak. However, after reading several posts here, I fear I may have just not let it lager for long enough. I just tried one the other day (about 5 weeks after bottling) and it was considerably better. It is still far from my favorite, but I'm hoping that with a couple more weeks in the fridge, it will continue to improve.

Guest System Admin

Well after 4 months in the bottle the last is being drank. Def the best kit from Mr Beer I have done yet.
photo2-2-6.jpg
photo1-1-6.jpg

Going
photo-7-2.jpg

Gone :( was real good.