Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brewlove

First batch pending

Hello all,

My first ever batch of beer will be ready to drink on Friday. (It's been in the bottle for one month on Friday!) My question is, do you think it would make a difference if I went ahead and put one in the fridge on Wednesday so it will be nice and chilled on Friday for a proper tasting or would you wait until Friday to put it in the fridge and have the "tasting" on Sunday?

Either way, I'm excited! :)

Congrats on the first brew!

Chill two on Wednesday, in case it's really good, and try one Friday.
You have been patient and deserve a reward. ;)

Congratulations! Tasting your first beer is always an exciting experience.

I wouldn't think a couple of days would make a difference as far as the conditioning goes. But a couple of days in the fridge does make a difference (as opposed to a couple of hours).

I say put two bottles in the fridge on Wednesday and enjoy the fruits of your efforts on Friday!

Then let most of the rest of this batch condition for a couple more weeks. You'll be surprised at the improvement a little more conditioning will make.

Guest System Admin

fedora dave makes a great point. If you do a couple now, and a couple later, you will learn valuable lessons about conditioning.

It may have sucked after 3 weeks. I may be good after 4 weeks. It may be fabulous after 5 or 6 weeks.

FedoraDave wrote:

Congratulations! Tasting your first beer is always an exciting experience.

I wouldn't think a couple of days would make a difference as far as the conditioning goes. But a couple of days in the fridge does make a difference (as opposed to a couple of hours).

I say put two bottles in the fridge on Wednesday and enjoy the fruits of your efforts on Friday!

Then let most of the rest of this batch condition for a couple more weeks. You'll be surprised at the improvement a little more conditioning will make.

+1

And I've come to realize that a few more days in the fridge helps also. I've come to the conclusion that 3 days is the minimum amount of time in the fridge and that a week is much better. Two weeks may be even better, but my beer fridge is a minifridge and also has hops, LME and yeast in it, so there's no room to find out.

Have fun sounds like you are off to a great start. I'd break the m up into an equal number and sample at different stages of conditioning. You will find that different styles require shorter or longer conditioning periods. I found that stouts take longer than a beer that uses lighter colored malts. With IPA's you will find that longer aging will reduce some of the bitterness as the flavor meld. I have a friend you can not stand a 3 moth old IPA yet will absolutely love the beer a 6 months. Same beer same friend go figure! :gofish: