Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zebediah

Feedback on recipe using 2 Whispering Wheat HMEs

Hi, I'm Zeb. I am thinking of trying this recipe next, and would like to hear your thoughts (or your reasons why it's a bad idea):

2 cans Whispering Wheat HME
1 pack booster
.5 oz Amarillo hops for aroma (just tossing into the fermenter)

I like hoppy IPAs, but I'm wondering if this will turn out well. I plugged everything in to QBrew and (if I'm using it correctly) it says my recipe will be 41 IBU, 1.058 OG, 1.015 FG, 5.7% ABV.

I don't have any UME/LME/DME sitting around, and don't know of a LHBS nearby to grab any. What do you think?

Zebediah wrote:

Hi, I'm Zeb. I am thinking of trying this recipe next, and would like to hear your thoughts (or your reasons why it's a bad idea):

1 pack booster

I like hoppy IPAs, but I'm wondering if this will turn out well. I plugged everything in to QBrew and (if I'm using it correctly) it says my recipe will be 41 IBU, 1.058 OG, 1.015 FG, 5.7% ABV.

I don't have any UME/LME/DME sitting around, and don't know of a LHBS nearby to grab any. What do you think?

It's not going to be an IPA, but it will be a nice wheat with more than the usual hop profile for a wheat beer.

That recipe looks fine to me. I can't think of any reason it would be a bad idea. Like BP said, it won't be an IPA. It should be a nice beer, though.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be Assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have Beer.

The Dry Hopping of the Hops will add to the aroma in your beer. For the "hoppy" aspect, you'd have to boil the hops for about 50 min or so. You might want to wait until you do have X-ME to boil the hops in. Don't use the HME for that.
What you have should turn out nice though. Enjoy.

I just tried my 1st bottle of whispering Wheat/Witty Monk Raspberry Wheat - It's at 2-2-1 3/4...but turned out great so far! Think the wife will really like this one.

Whispering Wheat (1)
Witty Monk (1)
Booster
1/2 can Oregon raspberries

I brewed it up today. I was inspired in the moment, and went with the following recipe:

1 pack booster
2 packs of yeast from the HME cans
1 Orange Peel(white pith removed)
.5 oz Northern Brewer hops (instead of Amarillo, grabbed the wrong pack and didn't realize it, but once it was open I figure what the heck)

As the water was boiling for the booster, I tossed the orange peel and hops into another pot and boiled it for 5 minutes. I figure it couldn't hurt anything. From what I've read on some other posts, I may have used too much orange, but I guess I'll learn from the experience at least. One of the recipes I found called for 10 oz of marmalade, so I figured one orange peel wouldn't be too much.

I can hardly wait the 6-8 weeks until it's ready to sample.

:borg: good luck with it. should be interesting ... oh wait, that's Spock's line... never mind.

Drank the hydrometer sample today after 10 days fermenting. It's pretty tasty, still a little sweet though. Gravity came in at ~1.020, I'm going to give it another few days and measure again, but I think this one is going to be a good brew.

Guest System Admin

Looks purty tastey, thought about doing that myself. What was your OG? I think I would let it run 21 days since it is still tasting a little sweet. IMHO

. icon_tinykitball-20110307.gif

I didn't have a hydrometer when I started this recipe, but I have one now. QBrew estimated an OG of 1.058. After 10 days it measures 1.020, with a target of about 1.015. I haven't seen any activity in the keg in a while now, so it's probably winding down.

I'm pretty new to brewing so I'm not sure if it's really a "sweet" taste or if that's just a malty taste, so I'll have to rely on the hydrometer from here on out.

Zebediah wrote:

As the water was boiling for the booster, I tossed the orange peel and hops into another pot and boiled it for 5 minutes. I figure it couldn't hurt anything. From what I've read on some other posts, I may have used too much orange, but I guess I'll learn from the experience at least. One of the recipes I found called for 10 oz of marmalade, so I figured one orange peel wouldn't be too much.

Two things, just to give you something to think of for next time. I didn't know whether or not you wanted the hops for aroma or for flavor, but the 5 minute boil won't really alter the flavor of the beer, but will definitely change the bouquet. Lastly, when boiling hops they need to be boiled with some sort of malt to release the oils needed to flavor the beer. Boiling the hops with orange peels won't allow the hops to do it's job per say. For the future if you want to alter the taste of the beer with the hops, boil the hops for around 20-22 minutes with half a can of UME/LME separately and then you can add it with everything else. Remember that 22 minutes should be at flame out, so you have to incorporate stirring everything else in as well.

And I forgot always make sure to add the HME last at flame out as you do not want to boil the HME! It will drastically change your beer's flavor, and not for the good. :blink:

dodgerblue wrote:
Two things, just to give you something to think of for next time. I didn't know whether or not you wanted the hops for aroma or for flavor, but the 5 minute boil won't really alter the flavor of the beer, but will definitely change the bouquet. Lastly, when boiling hops they need to be boiled with some sort of malt to release the oils needed to flavor the beer. Boiling the hops with orange peels won't allow the hops to do it's job per say. For the future if you want to alter the taste of the beer with the hops, boil the hops for around 20-22 minutes with half a can of UME/LME separately and then you can add it with everything else. Remember that 22 minutes should be at flame out, so you have to incorporate stirring everything else in as well.

Yeah, I've read you're supposed to boil hops in malt if you want any flavor/bitterness. I really just did it because I was boiling the orange peel anyway, and I had planned on dry hopping for aroma. I guess it didn't make sense to toss the hops in w/ the orange peel, I thought it might increase the aroma a small amount. I will probably just dry hop next time if I do this recipe again.

I made a raspberry wheat by combining a Wiity Monk and a Whispering Wheat. It's ready now and it's very good. :)

Hmm, after another 2 days, the brew is still about 1.020, but perhaps just a tad less. I'm going to wait to measure again until Saturday, and if it's still 1.020 I'm going to bottle it. I expected it to get closer to 1.015, but perhaps the orange peel and hops have changed the gravity a bit?

you could try adding just a wee bit of yeast to the wort. sometimes that will kick start it.

yankeedag wrote:

you could try adding just a wee bit of yeast to the wort. sometimes that will kick start it.

Hmm, I hadn't considered that. I have an extra pack of fromunda yeast I'm probably not going to otherwise use. A few questions:
[ul]a) How much should I add?[/ul][ul]B) Do I need to worry about aerating the wort?[/ul][ul]c) I presume I shouldn't mix it vigorously like the first time but I have some spare DME, so maybe I should make a mini starter and pitch that?[/ul]

yankeedag wrote:

The Dry Hopping of the Hops will add to the aroma in your beer.

I was under the impression that true "dry-hopping" was done after the initial fermentation process. Where as adding the hops to the fermenter (with no boiling time) will add some aroma, adding after the initial fermentation will add the best aroma. Thoughts on this?

yankeedag wrote:

just sprinkle the pack on the top and put the lid back on.

Alright, sprinkled. This brew was an experiment to begin with, so I guess we'll see what happens. The smell from the keg was fantastic, but the flavor of a small sample I just tasted was still not ready, so I hope this helps move it along.

Finally bottled today. Since I didn't have a hydrometer when I brewed, I'm going w/ the QBrew estimated OG of 1.058. My measured FG was 1.012, giving me just about 6.0% ABV.

The sample I pulled tasted pretty good, can't wait for this to be carbed and ready to drink.

Cracked open a 12oz bottle today... Wow, I made this? This is a legit brew. It's like an Orange IPA almost. Doesn't have that Mr. Beer twang that my first two batches had, which is a relief.

It's been carbing/conditioning in my basement at about 56 degrees for 19 days (yes, I know I broke the 2/2/2 rule, but it was in the keg for about 3 weeks). I'm glad I tried it when I did, it has the perfect amount of orange taste.
orangewhisper.png

Zebediah wrote:

1 pack booster

I Zeb, my name is Daniel. Sounds like you already made it thats cool. But FYI if you want to boil your hops, it wouldn't hurt to boil them with water and a spoon of the HME. I know lots of people say don't boil that! But even the Mr Beer radio show says something like "if you have nothing else doing a tablespoon or two" won't alter the overall flavor profile too much, if noticeably at all, especially since you are going to be adding more hop flavor with a 5-15 minute boil. A couple brews ago I boiled a couple spoons of the HME with 1 oz of Cascade and some steeped grain, and it turned out YUMMY

edit= er I am feeling off today brain is not working

d3EP wrote:

But FYI if you want to boil your hops, it wouldn't hurt to boil them with water and a spoon of the HME.

Interesting, never heard that before. I've been doing full hops boils the past few batches w/ DME, so I'll generally have DME on hand from here on out.

Guest System Admin

Zeb,

I didn't read back far enough to see how you did it, but when and how did you add the orange?

Thanks

Beer Daddy wrote:

Zeb,

I didn't read back far enough to see how you did it, but when and how did you add the orange?

Thanks

In this instance, I boiled it for a few minutes in a small amount water first to sterilize it, then added the water to the wort in the keg. I'm not sure if that was necessary, but the result has turned out nicely.