Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jenta

Light degradation

Hi guys, I know that sunlight can degrage a brew, and fast but my question is what about just a normel light bulb as i use one to heat my cabinet to keep my yeast at an "active" temperature. My brew is exposed to this light 24/7 for the entire fermentation and bottle conditioning process. The bottles i use are brown PET ones but fermenter is opaque white. Any help will be great.
Cheers from New Zealand

Guest System Admin

There is a post in this forum "Clear Bottles" that has some pertinent info and some not so.

According to gelighting.com both incandescent and flourescent bulbs emit UV light. Brown does the best at blocking UV. Many medicine bottles are brown for the same reason ... UV degradation.

You are at a big risk with the keg not being brown. You can cover your brew with a thin towel, put the keg in a cooler/ice chest or a box. This will also help with keeping the temp constant.

I have never had skunked beer, but I understand that it doesn't take long.

Hey Jenta, how opaque is your fermenter? Is it a standard white "ale pail" type plastic bucket? Clear is a problem, but if it's opaque but still blocks UV I think you are O.K.

Welcome!!

You can definately see the color of your brew thru it but not the clarity if you know what i mean.Im not sure if it will totally block the uv light out so I think I am going to have to come up with some sort of lamp shade while still getting the required heat.

How many wats and what type of bulb is it?
Many household bulbs throw off so little UV spectum that the 'opaque white' bucket might be blocking it.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. you will be Assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: we have Beer.

I go with the "covering of the Keg" at least.
You wouldn't happen to have pictures of your set up, would you?