Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
d3EP

Settling and Pouring

my question is if you let the beer settle long enough will the junk stay at the bottom when you pour? Would it better if I siphoned the beer into a pitcher? i used liter bottles, not sure if that will change the physics too much... i just started to drink one and the first couple glasses were ok (little 6oz glass), but the third tasted off and I held the bottle up to the light and saw a cloud moving around in there. How long for this stuff to settle and stay settled or it is always going to stir up after a couple pours? ... i am seriously considering a siphon right now that way i dont have to tip the bottle at all....

Im not sure I understand your question. I wouldnt siphon carbonated beer. Are you concerned with bottle trub leaking into the glass when you pour it? Ive never had a problem with the small amount of trub in my bottles pouring into my glass and making it too cloudy. I assume thats what you were talking about. How long has your beer been in the bottle? Did you use the correct amount of sugar to carb with? Did you shake or move the keg around right before bottling? If you let the beer carb for 2 weeks and then condition for two weeks and then trow it in the fridge it should be pretty clear. Are you storing the bottles in the fridge upright or on their sides?

I did move the keg gingerly from one room to the next, but i left it on that table over night (the lady might have moved the table once during that time). i was very careful not to add too much sugar, it is highly carbonated so perhaps I need to condition even longer. it has been conditioning for 31 days already, it had only been in the fridge, upright, for about 8 hours.

Hmmm. What brew was it? The only thing I can think of is maybe too much sugar contributed to too much bottle trub. The siphon isnt really a good idea. Im guessing it would just foam up like crazy. Any way you could post a pic of the bottle before you pour it and then the glass you pour it into?

it was WCPA. and if anything i used less sugar than recommended by the guide that came with the kit. It may foam up a bit but it might be worth it to avoid the trub. i would post a picture but my camera wouldn't be able to pick up the the detail. so do you think letting it sit long in the fridge would help, and or conditioning longer?

Letting it sit in the fridge longer than 8 hours will help alot. Most people on this board recommend letting it sit in the fridge for a week but I just cant do that. I usually load my fridge up on a Thursday night after work and then start cracking them open Friday night after work and I havent had a problem yet

A week or more in the fridge will allow a lot of trub to settle and clear up the brew.. I try to wait at least 2 weeks in fridge, but the Mixer 6'ers have been running out too quickly and I've been opening them at 1week with no problems.
I have read on other threads that waiting 2+ weeks in fridge makes an even more noticable differance, though I havn't had the patience to try it yet. :)

First of all, conditioning isn't going to change the level of carbonation. That's a function largely of how much sugar you prime with.

The others are right in recommending that you extend your fridge time. You say it's been conditioning for 31 days, which should be a good amount of time. You're not drinking green beer at this point, in other words.

I've noticed that the longer a homebrew is kept in the fridge, the more solid and compact the bottle trub becomes (which makes sense, considering what's going on in there). Eight hours is enough time to chill the beer to a pleasant drinking temperature, but not enough to allow for settling and consolidation of the suspended matter.

I think either I'm misreading the original post here, or the others are.

You say you pouring from a liter bottle into several 6oz classes. Right? That is 5 or 6 times of tipping, pouring, (mixing) and having to resettle.

Yes, you'll almost certainly get the trub mixed into that liter bottle over that amount of time. It isn't going to completely resettle during a drinking session.

You want one pour. Get yourself a bigger glass. Or, carefully pour the whole liter into a pitcher and serve from there (no need to siphon, just pour it). During that one (slow) pour, simply stop before your level gets down to the trub area. You may get a little yeast into the drink, but not nearly as much as the way you're doing it, and it should not be enough to affect the taste.

The trub will get more compact the longer you store it upright in the fridge too. That helps. The other things mentioned it the thread also help keep the trub in the bottom. But, the multiple pours is what is causing you the most problem here.

:cheers:

because I am (a)slow (reader), esheppy beat me to it. You've got to increase your drinking glass size, or lower your bottle size. Your shakeing up the trub every time you pour.

Yes, you will also be the Main Star in the Bum Band. Return all your exlax. You won't be needing it. And you shall learn a lesson us old pharts know to be true: Never trust a phart.