Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bud76

new brewer. first batch.

WCPA turnd out pretty good. cant wait to start my second brew!going to do the deluxe american blond. just waitng for it to come in the mail. ;) would like to know what ingredients/recipes/refill combos would make a beer close to the big name brewers? ie: coors,coors light,bud,miller....etc...thanks

More WCPA or American Blonde ale. I havent really made alot of the Mr.Beer kits just what was given to me as gifts. The American Devil IPA is a good brew. Not as hoppy as I would like but still good. Pilothouse Pilsner is good

Well, for a beer close to Coors, Coors Light, Bud, Miller ... etc... buy Coors Coors light, bud, miller.. etc. I don't see your first entry here, so I'll just say:
:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information center. You could be assimilated. Resistance is not recommended: we have Beer.
You've a lot to learn Grasshopper. Give it six months and see if you still want to drink that stuff.

welcome! Why would you want to brew those? It is a lot less trouble to buy them if that is what you want to drink. As you brew more you will come to find most commercial beers are lacking. Try the stout recipes quite goo they do need some conditioning time.

As you've seen, you'll get some ribbing for wanting to make something like the BMC (Bud Miller Coors) beers. Most home brewers start with simple recipes and then experiment, add ingredients and discover that they like more full bodied beers and usually beers with more complex flavors, also. Even those who weren't craft beer drinkers tend to drink more craft beers and less of the BMC beers.

The typical American light lager is fairly bland, with low IBUs. It's also fairly high in adjuncts, largely to help keep it very light in color and thin bodied, but also because that helps keep the flavor profile where they want it.

Although it might seem as though brewing a light bodied beer with simple flavors would be easier than a full bodied beer with complex flavors, the opposite is actually the case. When you make a full bodied complex beer, if you make a small mistake, the other flavors can mask it. If you've got a simple beer, you have little or no room for error because anything you do is going to come through.

If you're going to try something based on a Mr Beer refill or Mr Beer ingredients, I'd first try some of the lighter colored standard refills (HCCD, CGL, CABA, WCPA) as-is and see how you like them. The standard refills are actually probably higher in IBUs than the big three, so you may want something a little less bitter.

A few things you could change would be to get some of the Premium HMEs, but only use one of them (hint: the premium refills are currently on sale, so this is the time to try this). The Grand Bohemian Pilsner and Pilothouse Pilsner each has 9 IBUs. But one can would only give you about 2% ABV.

Since American Lagers are light bodied, you might want to try a few creative things that aren't available through Mr Beer. You could add some Rice syrup or rice syrup solids in place of Booster. That will increase the alcohol level and thin the beer, but won't be quite as cidery as using white sugar would be. Some Asian food stores sell maltose and some versions of the maltose list rice as the first ingredient. That might also do the trick.

One thing I've left out so far is the yeast. The standard yeast that comes with Mr Beer is an ale yeast and will give more of an ale flavor to your brew. If you can keep temperatures below 60 and preferably around 50-55, you can switch to a lager yeast. If you can't manage that, but can keep temperatures in the upper 50s to low 60s, consider switching to either US-05 (available through Mr Beer) or Danstar Nottingham. Rehydrate the yeast and use the whole packet and you'll get a clean fermentation that comes close to a lager taste.

lol yeah I noticed the ribbing. wow thats alot of info... Thanks. The WCPA that came with the kit turned out good. I used the pet bottles. I noticed when first poured it was fizzy and kinda light. the closer to the bottom of bottle the more cloudy and tasted alot better. I may turn the bottles upside down before drinking next time. got the deluxe american blond coming next and thinking about trying the pilothouse. from there i might start to mix and match and experiment with finding my own brew... I know I only did my first brew but man... this is fun!

I wouldn't turn the bottles over before pouring... You'll stir up the trub. Just pop open, pour, and stop the pour before the trub pours into the glass...

bud76 wrote:

lol yeah I noticed the ribbing. wow thats alot of info... Thanks. The WCPA that came with the kit turned out good. I used the pet bottles. I noticed when first poured it was fizzy and kinda light. the closer to the bottom of bottle the more cloudy and tasted alot better. I may turn the bottles upside down before drinking next time. got the deluxe american blond coming next and thinking about trying the pilothouse. from there i might start to mix and match and experiment with finding my own brew... I know I only did my first brew but man... this is fun!

If you're thinking of PHP, now is the time. The premium refills are on sale through the 28th.