Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
harpdog

Broken swing-top

3 days ago I took a i litre swing-top full of St. Patrick's Stout (with creamy brown UME) out of it's snug cardboard box, just to look at it. It's conditioning till St. Paddy's day. Next day, I noticed that the bottle was hung up in the box top flaps, so I put it back with it's friends.
Yesterday I came home from work to a wonderful beer smell.
The bottom was broken out of that bottle....guess I clunked it on one of the other bottles.

1 litre of precious brew soaked into the bottom of the box....and into the carpet below....

I guess when I get home today I'll soak the area in a mix of Oxiclean and hot water, then use a wet/dry vac on the area. Luckily, it's a dark carpet and the spill doesn't show.

I moved the remaining bottles to a plastic storage box, but I need to be more careful. I'm pretty sure it wasn't pressure that caused the break - wouldn't the cap have vented excess pressure?

But it SURELY smells wonderful...

wire probably caught on another...flippers & caps can be replaced @ midwest( dozen lots)...MRB does not have them?? I dont think pressure did that...t

True, you can buy new flippers & Caps, but I don't think they sell new "bottoms". You have to buy the whole bottle.

It was broken sort of like this picture. I don't have experience with "bottle bombs", but I figured that this was from an impact and not from pressure:
broken.JPG

I would test the Oxiclean on a small area before using it where the beer spilled. It might cause discoloration. Come to think of it, the beer might also (I think the yeast can cause a reaction in some coloring agents).

I think you're right, that it was an impact break. The only way I think pressure could have done it is if by chance the bottle was just defective and weak in that spot and "normal" pressure caused a blowout. Otherwise you'd have more than one bottle bomb.