Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrgoblueguy

What is the best summer beer to brew?

I wasn't goign to brew any thing for a while but want to make a summer batch. What do you guys like best? I was thinking something fruity. I have friends that want me to do something blueberry, cherry, or raspberry. I am open to suggesstions and other fruits as well.

I'm going to be doing a wheat brew using crushed coriander seed and grains of paradise. I've been working on a recipe that i should ready to go soon. It's not a Sam Adams Summer Ale clone, but i'm aiming along those lines

I did a variation on the Pick N' Roll Pilsner that I enjoyed.

The recipe calls for Classic American Light - I used the Classic American Blond Ale (I never knew if the blonde was a new name for the light, or if they differ). I added a packet of booster to the recipe and used Northern Brewer hops instead of the sterling since that is what I had on hand.

I boiled the hops in the booster/UME - Northern Brewer for 40 mins, Saaz for 20 minutes.

It was a nice, refreshing summer beer. A friend described it as "what American beers could have been."

BrewHaHa78 wrote:

I'm going to be doing a wheat brew using crushed coriander seed and grains of paradise. I've been working on a recipe that i should ready to go soon. It's not a Sam Adams Summer Ale clone, but i'm aiming along those lines

Please reply with the Mr Beer summer beer kit I might try. :)
Got the following being shipped now:
https://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/330/nm/Whispering_Wheat_Weizenbier_w_Golden_Wheat
https://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/240/nm/Cowboy_Honey_Wheat
https://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/101/nm/American_Devil_IPA

I'm also doing a wheat beer for the summer. Click the "Orange Wheat" link in my sig to see the recipe.

mrgoblueguy wrote:

I wasn't goign to brew any thing for a while but want to make a summer batch. What do you guys like best? I was thinking something fruity. I have friends that want me to do something blueberry, cherry, or raspberry. I am open to suggesstions and other fruits as well.

Sounds like you have a plan for a fruit/wheat beer.
But here is some good info on seasonal styles...

Zobl wrote:

Winter Beer Styles – Beers to Brew in Fall, Drink in Winter: :freeze:
Holiday Ales
Christmas/Winter Beer
Stouts, Porters and other Dark Beers
Barley Wine (needs long aging – start a year or more in advance)
Winter Wheats
Smoked Rauchbier
Scotch Ale
Old Ale

Spring Beer Styles – Beers to Brew in Winter, Drink in Spring :drinking:
Irish Ale and Irish Stout
Green Beer for St Patty’s Day
Bock/Doppelbock
India Pale Ale
Fruit Beer
Wheat Beer, Weizen and Weisse – particularly Hefeweizen
Saison
Blonde Ale
Belgian Wit/White Beer

Summer Beer Styles – Beers to Brew in Spring, Drink in Summer :sweat:
Bavarian Weizen/Weisse
Pilsner
Cream Ale
Steam Beer – California Common
Kolsch Beer
Summer Ales
Saison
Fruit/Wheat Beers

Fall Beer Styles – Beers to Brew in Summer, Drink in the Fall :chug:
Marzen/Oktoberfest
Pumpkin Beer
English Pale Ale
Brown Ales
Dunkelweizen
Harvest Ale

larrewl wrote:

BrewHaHa78 wrote:

Please reply with the Mr Beer summer beer kit I might try. :)
Got the following being shipped now:
https://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/330/nm/Whispering_Wheat_Weizenbier_w_Golden_Wheat
https://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/240/nm/Cowboy_Honey_Wheat
https://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/101/nm/American_Devil_IPA

The Whispering Wheat recipe you have coming is good for a summer brew. Just make a few additions. Off the top of my head, 1/4 tsp crushed coriander, 1/4 tsp grains of paradise and some orange zest for a 10 minute or so boil. I would also recommend a different yeast. Safbrew WB-06 Dry Wheat Yeast.

If you don't know already. A little spice goes a very long way.

Ultimately, only you can be the judge of what to brew for a good summer beer. We can make suggestions, but everything depends on what kinds of beer you like.

My personal preference is something light, crisp, yet flavorful. First Pitch Pilsner fits that bill, but so does Bombay Bliss IPA.

Zobl's breakdown is a great guideline, but I'm sure he'd agree it's not carved in stone. If you want to drink a porter in the summer, the Beer Police won't arrest you.

Mr. Beer has Seasonal Recipes throughout the year. You can also scroll around through the recipes off the home page and read the descriptions to see if anything appeals to you.

FedoraDave wrote:

Zobl's breakdown is a great guideline, but I'm sure he'd agree it's not carved in stone. If you want to drink a porter in the summer, the Beer Police won't arrest you.

Dave called that one right. I drink Guinness and IPA's 12 months a year.
But sometimes it's fun to enjoy a certain style that's "just right" for the season. This list I found caught the interest of the home brewer in me.

me i prefer malty for summer and hoppy in winter. the hoppy warms me better than malty and malty cools me better than hoppy.

thats just me though :laugh: :silly: :woohoo:

Brian1179 wrote:

me i prefer malty for summer and hoppy in winter. the hoppy warms me better than malty and malty cools me better than hoppy.

thats just me though :laugh: :silly: :woohoo:

What? That's absurd! :ohmy:
You can't like what you like! ;)

Zobl wrote:

What? That's absurd! :ohmy:
You can't like what you like! ;)

hahahahahahahahah :silly: :laugh:

im different :silly: :)