Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
WolfMagus

Plastic Bottles: How long

I need to get more bottles and I'm debating on glass vs plastic. I've read that glass is better than plastic for bottling because over time plastic can let air in and make your beer go bad. Problem is I can't seem to find any info on how long you can store beer in plastic before you run a risk of contamination. Anyone know the answer? I prefer the PET bottles for a number of reasons, but I'm concerned about the longevity if I want to age a brew for a longer period of time. Any help is appreciated.

I am no expert but I have been told the plastics go bad after about 6 months. I am going to step up to glass bottles for my next batch. I use plastic now and am aging my beers a lot longer and am gettign worried they might get ruined.

I have converted to glass but I have 16 pet bottles that i use one for each batch to check coronation. That way i dont have to perv my brew boxes. I keep them with my kegs

smokediverxxx wrote:

good question.....BTW, Mr Beer has their 8 pack of 1 liter PET bottles on sale for $10

Yeah, but don't like the 1 liter bottles. Too much for just me, the beer gets warm before I finish.

TMed wrote:

I have converted to glass but I have 16 pet bottles that i use one for each batch to check coronation. That way i dont have to perv my brew boxes. I keep them with my kegs

What's coronation? :)

I've been using almost all glass for quite a while, but I had a PET that I bottled on 9/24 that I stuck in the fridge last night. It seemed to be fully carbed. I think I had some in a box once that I forgot about for 6 months and they were all okay. I don't think I'd want to go much longer than that, though.

I love the PET bottles. Just easier to wash and sanitize 8 bottles plus I don't have room to store a bunch of cases of beer. And I never have a problem drinking a liter of beer! Or two or three... :cheer:

i alow my self only 2 glasses of beer anight on weeks ends only so 1 1 liter bottle gets used per night. but at times i like to "break" a new bottle per drink so i am using a mix of pet and glass :laugh:

Guest System Admin

I like 16oz beers so I went with the Swing-top bottles. I currently have 42 bottles and also have 4 1L swing-top bottles (brown) from some seasonal beers they sold at the local shop. I found my LHBS has the 16oz swing-top for $28/case (Mr. Beer is $29 plus shipping).

larrewl wrote:

TMed wrote:

What's coronation? :)

Coronation is when a king gets his crown. Crowns are the style of bottle caps that you crimp onto a pry-off bottles. Pry-off bottles are glass and not plastic. He checks his carbonation with plastic bottles. So he must have meant carbonation. Unless he's becoming a king??

WolfMagus wrote:

I need to get more bottles and I'm debating on glass vs plastic. I've read that glass is better than plastic for bottling because over time plastic can let air in and make your beer go bad. Problem is I can't seem to find any info on how long you can store beer in plastic before you run a risk of contamination. Anyone know the answer? I prefer the PET bottles for a number of reasons, but I'm concerned about the longevity if I want to age a brew for a longer period of time. Any help is appreciated.

My uncle made moonshine for years. Then he was born again and stopped. When my mom and step dad were moving from their place in Forks,Wa to Dutch Harbor, Alaska I went home and helped them pack their stuff. Upon doing so I found 2 old bottles of shine. His stuff was 190 proof and as smooth as hell. It was awesome. Anyways, one bottle was glass and the other was a plastic gatorade type bottle. The plastic bottle had a date on it of about 5 years old. I did flame tests on both bottles and then drank from the glass bottle and then drank from the plastic. I couldnt tell the difference. 5 years 190 proof sat in a plastic bottle and by some miracle of god didnt leach any off flavors or anything into it

You CAN find 12oz. PET bottles. Kind of hard to find but their out there..

Ikaika wrote:

I was looking, but I never found them. I settled for 16oz PETs. But I guess I have to switch over to 12oz or 16oz glass because yankeedag says so :P

WolfMagus wrote:

Ikaika wrote:

I was looking, but I never found them. I settled for 16oz PETs. But I guess I have to switch over to 12oz or 16oz glass because yankeedag says so :P

Well if YD says so then we have to mail him our PET bottles for disposal! With beer inside them of coarse! :laugh:

WolfMagus wrote:

You're not gonna get contamination cause it's in plactic, maybe just won't last as long. I've kept one in plastic 1 year just as an experiment. Had good taste and carb, no head.