Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
iamgoing54

Brewing Mad Dog IPA right now-Question

Im brewing the Mad Dog IPA.

1 Can Cowboy Golden Lager HME
1 Can Mellow Amber UME
1 Pouch Booster™
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HME)
1 Packet Northern Brewer Pellet Hops
1 Packet Columbus Pellet Hops
1 Packet Cascade Pellet Hops

YOU PR0VIDE:
1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar

Im thinking of adding a Creamy Brown UME to the recipie. If I do this I may take out the 1 Cup of Dark brown sugar. I also doubled the hops and am going to do a hop boil to offset the maltiness. My question is would the standard Mr. Beer yeast work with the Higher ABV that adding the Creamy Brown UME to the recipie would bring?

Did you put it in into Q Brew to determine your OG? Im thinking the yeast shouldnt have a problem but others might have a little more scientific answer for ya. Ive always just brewed. I never stopped to think if the yeast would handle the ABV or not. Unless Im making a wine or a barley wine. I think you'll be ok. Standard brewers yeast will withstand quite a bit really. But like I said if its projected over 12%abv then you may want to add some nutrient or sumthin

EDIT-

Also, if this is a Recipe kit you bought from Mr.Beer then the yeast they provided will handle the ABV no problem. They wouldnt sell you a kit with not enough yeast.

It should be fine if you replace the brown sugar with one can of Creamy Brown. But if it were me I would add the Creamy brown along with the Brown Sugar to up the ABV. But thats just me. I dont like making anything less than 6% ABV because it doesnt last very long in my house if it is

That kind of depends on what you mean by "handle it."

The Mr Beer yeast can survive in alcohol levels up to around 11%, but for higher gravity beers, its attenuation goes down. Also, if you're using just 1 packet, it's going to have to struggle to get going. I would probably use at least 3 packets of Mr Beer yeast or switch to a different yeast if I were brewing that.

I only have 2 packets of Mr Beer yeast right now and no other yeasts. So I should probably stick to the regular Mad Dog IPA recipie then?