Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
slykryck

What water for brewing?

What water do you guys use for brewing? I've been buying spring water, but would like to cut that cost out if possible. My tap water tastes fine. Would I need some type of filtration system to use it? Would tap water also work okay for BIAB method?

Thanks for all the help.

If your water tastes fine, use it. give a batch a try, if you like it, stop buying the spring water.

I use Brita filtered water, but that's what I drink and what I use for making coffee, too. If you drink the water out of your tap, you should be able to use it for brewing.

i went to home depot and bought a 5 gallon spring water jug. I dont know if they sell them at all home depots but it was cheaper than buying individual water and you have more left for next time. if they do sell it at one near you that might be a decent option too?

slykryck wrote:

What water do you guys use for brewing? I've been buying spring water, but would like to cut that cost out if possible. My tap water tastes fine. Would I need some type of filtration system to use it? Would tap water also work okay for BIAB method?

Thanks for all the help.

I live in Chicago and used tap water and it was just fine. It good to boil the water to evaporate the chlorine. I only boiled the wort water, next time ill probably boil all of the water. Or use tap for the wort because you are boiling, and use refrigerated spring water in the fermenter.

I started with spring water but have done the last 3 batches using water out of the tap on the fridge since it has a filter built in. It's worked great.

If you're brewing with extracts, you can use distilled or RO water, but if you're doing all grain, stick with spring water or tap water (or filtered tap water).

At home we use filtered water for our drinking water, coffee and I've included my brewing water as well. Our water tastes fine out of the tap but the filtered water is so easy to use it wouldn't make sense not to use it for brewing.

I started out with filtered well water, which even unfiltered is very drinkable. But I know that my water is hard and has a high PH level from testing for the fish aquariums. I stared some brews that cost a little more and will take longer to be finished so I went with purchased filtered water to reduce some of the risk these might create in the process.. That's my logic anyway.

spunkybrewster wrote:

I started out with filtered well water, which even unfiltered is very drinkable. But I know that my water is hard and has a high PH level from testing for the fish aquariums. I stared some brews that cost a little more and will take longer to be finished so I went with purchased filtered water to reduce some of the risk these might create in the process.. That's my logic anyway.

Good call

my first batch i used filtered water from our (pur)water filter picher . took awhile, waiting for the water to run through the filter, but our water taste really chlorinated. this time i bought a 6 gallon case of spring water, from bjs, for under 6 bucks.

Guest System Admin

I'm drinking PHP brewed with tap and it's absolutely wonderful. Nevertheless the batches I've brewed since I boiled the tap because there is noticeable chlorine smell straight from the faucet. We'll see if it makes any difference.

I use filtered water as well, I found that it does take some time for it to fill to the needed levels running through the filter, so now I pre-fill two 1 gal jugs before brewing, nice to have ready to go.

Guest System Admin

marcblack30 wrote:

I use filtered water as well, I found that it does take some time for it to fill to the needed levels running through the filter, so now I pre-fill two 1 gal jugs before brewing, nice to have ready to go.

+1, that way the water is in the fridge and cold for the keg