Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Russellr2d2

Couldn't Wait ! First pour of first brew

Ok...ok ! I just couldn't stand to look at those bottles anymore.
I had to open one ....just to see. :blush:

It is a Canadian Draft + Mellow Amber UME + Honey + Cascade hops 5mins. I was going for a malty (sweet) beer with a deep amber color.
I think I got it ! :woohoo:

[img size=500]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Ty1VOSMFm0E/TWnwT_mDIWI/AAAAAAAABPA/irTg3GgO9jg/s1600/1STBREW_FEB26.JPG

The taste is great after 17 day ferment and just two weeks in the bottle. I can see where conditioning will make this ale really stand out. It's good now, but a bit sweet although not any cider or off flavors. I'm really happy with it and excited to see how the rest of the bottles will condition over the next month.

That nice big head doesn't lat very long. I believe from what I read here that boiling my own malted barley will give it extra head retention and mouth feel? I want to try a partial mash next batch.

Dang ! this is FUN ! :woohoo:

That does look quite nice. The head might be shortlived but at least its a nice thick foam, my first was not so great looking. I haven't worked up the courage to do a partial mash yet, but it will probably be in my near future. I would say though if all you want is to add flavor, aroma and head retention just steeping some grain will do that (plus its a whole lot less work than mashing). A few on here compare this hobby to a nasty substance abuse habit (probably not too far off), so I wouldn't advise moving on to harder stuff until the easy stuff isn't giving you your fix :blink:. Otherwise in a years time your mattress will probably be resting on 20 or so 5 gal buckets instead of a box spring. I have to take a break after I finish off the ingredients I have on hand (the pipes getting a little full), so I will probably take some time to read up and get a nice plan together on a partial mash.

WolfMagus wrote:

You just made me want a beer at 4 in the morning!

You say that like it's a bad thing.... :huh:

Anyway, that's a good-looking beer, Russellr2d2. Give it a few more weeks to condition properly, and you'll really be amazed at the difference.

Partial mash is easy, as long as you have the time, and using fresh grains makes a world of difference in the finished product.

Good luck, and keep on brewing.

I want to try a partial mash next batch.

you are going to love it. I can't go back to the no boil way of making beer any more. The beers are just so much better. Before you do your first mini mash make sure you read up on it. Temp control is now very important. You'll want to keep your temps in the 148 to 155 range. A strainer and a large mesh bag to hold the grains are very helpful. I use 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain, for 1 hour. I then add enough 200* water to bring the grain bed up to 170* for 20 mins, to loosen the grains. I then sparge the grains with 170* water a couple of cups at a time. Add water to bring the volume up to 2.5 gallons and start the boil. At full boil begin your hop schedule.

Thank you for the info. geeeee...that sounds complicated. Maybe "partial mash" isn't what I meant. I was thinking of just steeping grain in a mesh bag(according to Homebrew For Dummies book). Simmer for 30 mins and then drain the bag well. Add to your HME & UME recipe. They say you can then use light HME's/UME's and let the grain addition add the color. That will be something to learn...how much and all.

FedoraDave wrote:

Partial mash is easy, as long as you have the time, and using fresh grains makes a world of difference in the finished product.

Making an omlette isn't hard either, but I bet the first time you tried it turned into scrambled eggs. I've been wanting to jump into partial mashes or even all grain since I got my MB kit and started reading about brewig, but I've been holding myself back as I know its best to get the fundamentals of the rest of the process down. Once I can make a great beer from extract, I know I can make a fantastic beer from grain.

steeping will add a lot of flavor to your beers. If you can steep you can partial mash. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is. I use a six pack hard cooler for the mashing, for my MR B batches. If you want a mash temp of lets say 152 add 162 water let soak. Place the bag in a strainer and slowly rinse with 170 degree water. The reason I said boil 2.5 gallons of water is to get the most hop utilization possible. You are going to find that as gain experience you will want to experiment more. Get yourself Qbrew and have fun.