Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
myndflyte

Reusing Trub

So I just brewed a wheat beer and used a liquid yeast for the first time. I was planning on brewing the same wheat beer but using fruit so I just planning on using 1/2 cup of the trub as my yeast. Unfortunately, I may not be able to brew the beer the same day that I bottle this beer. So how long can I keep the trub in a sanitary container and reuse it? I got no problem washing the yeast but I don't have the equipment to make a starter. Would a week be ok storing it and pitching it on the next beer?

Forgot to mention, it's just going to be a 2.4 gal batch.

From what I've seen, all you need to make a starter is a little exract to boil and use the resulting wort as a starter nutrient for the yeast and a container to put it in. Also, your best bet is to use ALL of the trub and wash it to get all the yeast you can out of the trub.

Well yeah, if I wasn't going to brew the beer at the same time I bottle, I was going to save it all.

Sanitation is key. Use a Ball (or Mason etc) jar. Sanitize the jar, boil some water in it, wash the yeast and store it in the sanitized jar. if possible, add some malt extract to it so it ferments a little and gives you a layer of CO2.

bpgreen wrote:

Sanitation is key. Use a Ball (or Mason etc) jar. Sanitize the jar, boil some water in it, wash the yeast and store it in the sanitized jar. if possible, add some malt extract to it so it ferments a little and gives you a layer of CO2.

How do you wash yeast?
Also, if you don't have any malt extract to feed it could you use a little sugar or honey instead?

WolfMagus wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

How do you wash yeast?
Also, if you don't have any malt extract to feed it could you use a little sugar or honey instead?

I was wondering the same thing and what are the advantages/disadvantages of reuse?

See http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html for appropriate pitch rates.

It's best to not overpitch - or underpitch, for that matter - your yeast. You CAN pitch on the trub, and I've done it myself. However you will have too many yeast cells in the fermenter, and they won't properly spawn new yeast, and it is very important to have young and active yeast in your wort to properly ferment.

myndflyte wrote:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

It's a pretty straight forward process. Essentially it's just a way to save the yeast and reuse it. I'm just going to use it because I'm essentially brewing the same beer and I don't see a reason to buy another vial of liquid yeast if I don't really have to.

Thanks for the link. I might give this a try just for the experience.