Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Mr Beer Exp. Date

Guest System Admin

So I got ahold of a can of Canadian Draft mix that says best used by May 2010. Do you think it will still turn out OK?

As long as the can isn't dented or swollen, I'd use it. It may be a bit darker than the standard HCCD, but it'll probably still result in beer.

I'd use it with some other extracts, though.

Guest System Admin

I would think that MB customer service would want to know that you received a dated HME. Let them replace it. I would want to know, after all, it is their reputation. They would be nore than happy to replace it.

Why take a chance of your brew turning out the way it was created?

I was told by a rather learned man at the LHBS that the "Best by" or experation dates on HME's is more for the yeast and even then only because the USDA makes them put them on

Guest System Admin

dferron wrote:

I would think that MB customer service would want to know that you received a dated HME. Let them replace it. I would want to know, after all, it is their reputation. They would be nore than happy to replace it.

Why take a chance of your brew turning out the way it was created?

Please don't take me wrong. I did not mean to imply that MB sent me outdated goods. I actually got a full kit at a real good price...previous owner had in basement for a while and never opened it. I wanted it for another fermentor and don't want to throw away something that's still good.

Guest System Admin

Guess I'll use it up tomorrow night then!!

Clearcut23 wrote:

I was told by a rather learned man at the LHBS that the "Best by" or experation dates on HME's is more for the yeast and even then only because the USDA makes them put them on

Whomever told you this is an idiot. Yeast doesn't care how old sugar is. The yeast will still eat the food (fermentable sugars). I hope this wasn't advise from the LHBS employee.

Sorry, this irked me and if it was an employee, I would highly suggest finding a different LHBS or order your supplies online if it was.

Tindel wrote:

Clearcut23 wrote:

Whomever told you this is an idiot. Yeast doesn't care how old sugar is. The yeast will still eat the food (fermentable sugars). I hope this wasn't advise from the LHBS employee.

Sorry, this irked me and if it was an employee, I would highly suggest finding a different LHBS or order your supplies online if it was.

I think they meant that the yeast under the lid is more likely to be too old to have much viability. So if it's past the use by date, get new yeast.

Guest System Admin

Well I brewed it up tonight. I'll let you all know how it turns out in a week or two. Then a final analysis a couple weeks after that.