Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
truckndad

This sure looks like a lot of yeast.

This was my first venture into DME. True Brew Amber Ale brewed on 2-8, so we're at 20 days fermenting now. OG was 1.046, today's reading is 1.010, so I'm at the right FG. But I've never seen this much yeast on top this far into fermentation. Is this something different by using DME? Or am I just perving it and worrying too much like a newbie since this is my first DME. yeast.jpg

What yeast did you use and how much? I'm on my second brew and I used dme along with blonde ale hme and booster. Its been 14 days and still some yeast going on but not that much. I used half a packet of us-05.

Twiz wrote:

What yeast did you use and how much? I'm on my second brew and I used dme along with blonde ale hme and booster. Its been 14 days and still some yeast going on but not that much. I used half a packet of us-05.

Used a half pack of US-05 in each fermenter. It really is strange. One fermenter looks fine, and you see the pic of the second fermenter. Im perplexed. :side: :S :unsure:

Did you dry hop one fermenter and not the other?

One time I had what looked like another fermentation occur after adding a dry hop. It caused nucleation and a brand new froth appeared...

20 days you say? I've never seen anything like that past the first 7 days. Very strange.

Did you taste the beer? Does it taste OK?

Ya, 20 days. That's why I'm so perplexed. It tasted ok from the sample I took for FG. I planned on bottling tommorow. Think I may still do that, but not drain as much of the keg as usual.

truckndad wrote:

Ya, 20 days. That's why I'm so perplexed. It tasted ok from the sample I took for FG. I planned on bottling tommorow. Think I may still do that, but not drain as much of the keg as usual.

I bet if you cold crash for a few days before bottling, that will all settle out.

VTGroff wrote:

truckndad wrote:

I bet if you cold crash for a few days before bottling, that will all settle out.

Unfortunately I don't have a beer fridge. And SWMBO spent a small fortune at the grocery store this weekend.

Sounds like you got some over achieving yeast...bastards think theyre so much better than the rest of us.

ar588 wrote:

Sounds like you got some over achieving yeast...bastards think theyre so much better than the rest of us.

As strange as that sounds, that's all I can think of as well.

Well, I went ahead and bottled this thing today. Used all PET bottles because I'm worried about the amount of yeast and I can keep an eye on easier that way. Usually use 2 2/3 tsp to 1 tbsp of sugar, but went with 2 1/2 tsp just in case. Now it's just the waiting game.

That's wacky. Can't say I've seen a krausen like that after so long either. It makes me wonder if you've got a gusher infection. I think you made the right move bottling it in plastic. Let us know how it turns out.

Guest System Admin

I think ya just need to bottle it up and send to *ME* for proper disposal. It looks severly infected, cann't have you drinking it ya perv!