Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BigBlue10EM

Hello. Newbie Here.

Hey guys/gals. My names Matt and I just got my Deluxe Mr. Beer Kit today. I am going to be brewing my first batch (West Coast Pale Ale) in a couple minutes here. Any essential tips?

Thanks!

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be Assimilated. Resistance is quite Futile: we have Beer.

Yes. Read the Simple Guide Line in the New Brewers and FAQ's.

Sanitize thoroughly all of your equipment. Ferment at least 14 days bottle 'em up then wait at least a month to set one in the fridge to chill. Brewing takes time and patience !

READ / HEED / BREW
Read the instructions and the forums
Heed the instructions and the advice of people who have been brewing for awhile (ie - been there, done that club)
Then Brew true!!

And welcome to the group!!

Guest System Admin

Welcome to MB!

Welcome ! + 1 to what everone already said. Take your time, have fun, your make Beer.

BigBlue10EM wrote:

Hey guys/gals. My names Matt and I just got my Deluxe Mr. Beer Kit today. I am going to be brewing my first batch (West Coast Pale Ale) in a couple minutes here. Any essential tips?

Thanks!

BigBlue10EM buy yourself a thermometer and cool your wort to 70-74F before pitching your yeast, then sit back and wait for beer!

Welcome!

Follow the Borg Commander's instructions

+1 on Yes. Read the Simple Guide Line in the New Brewers and FAQ's

Hydrometer & thermometer are must haves
download new coding

START {
acquire all necessary equipment;
acquire DME;
acquire LME;
acquire GRAINS;
acquire HOPS;
acquire more HOPS;
brew
}
repeat START till infinity

Most of all remember that in life patience is a virtue but in brewing it is a requirement

+1 to what everyone else has said. Welcome. You will love this hobby. Patience is the key.

Guest System Admin

Welcome aboard!

A friend and I both got Mr. B kits for x-mas and brewed at the same time, he only waited 2 weeks to chill and drink (Beer was very cidery) I have only drank 1 bottle last weekend after 4 weeks, I think the extra 2 weeks really made the difference and longer will even make better.

enjoy and have fun

Guest System Admin

to begin with... just follow the instructions and you can't go wrong. When you are worried about something going wrong, look for it in the New Brewers FAQ and Simple Guide, or post your concerns here.

Most anything (I have seen here) can be fixed with time. More time fermenting, more time carbonating or conditioning, etc.

Have fun!! :woohoo:

welcome...all questions are considered here...we all started at the same place...good luck...now start collecting bottles!... :chug:

Welcome! I brewed my first MB run on Sunday night. Everyone on here is super friendly and some should have doctorates in beerology! Any questions you have someone will have an answer to. And if they don't, they will give you their honesty or at the least, a good link to find the answer! Like everyone said above, following the instructions, controlling temperatures, and being patient is the foundation of brewing. One those are established, everything else will fall into place. Cheers!

Well thanks for all the tips. My first batch is in the fermenter and I'm pretty confident. There is one issue though. My spigot is leaking at the seal between it and the keg. I didn't notice it before but now it is obvious. It's small enough that I'm not concerned of losing any wort but I'm more concerned about infection. What do you all think?

If there is any sort of opening this creates two variables: one is the introduction of oxygen, and the other is the possibility for something foreign to enter your brew. When you first get any new fermentor, after you put the spigot on you always want to fill it with water to make sure it doesn't have any leaks. Obviously with it being new you wouldn't expect any defects, but also MB will also replace parts within the first 5 days of receiving the product from what I understand.

So to answer your question, it could be a problem but as long as you're not moving the keg and it's stored somewhere safe, all you can really do is wait I guess. :dry:

is it still leaking or did it stop? If it's still leaking, you might want to sanitize your hand and arm, reach in, and give that nut an extra bit of a twist.

Always fill any thing that has something that could could cause a leak & check for them. Another good time to check for leaks is when you dissemble & assemble for cleaning. Remember that your spigot needs to be cleaned thoroughly. More than batch of brew has be lost because leprechauns took up residence in the spigot!

haerbob3 wrote:

Remember that your spigot needs to be cleaned thoroughly. More than batch of brew has be lost because leprechauns took up residence in the spigot!

Especially in March! Those leprechauns run rampant and they're thirsty!!!