Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Gluten Free Recipe - Linda's Brew

Guest System Admin

On another forum they have a hugh GF area and my wife wants a beer for here that is similar to "Labatts Blue"

I was not able to find one but a Brewer helped me and I am using a modified version of his recipe DKershner's - Slampbrew.

Here is my recipe based his:

Batch Size: 2.5 gal Brewer: Toby Carlson
Boil Size: 3.20 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: 4 gal stock pot

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.80 lb Sorghum Liquid Extract (1.5 SRM) Extract 55.56 %
0.60 lb Brown Rice Syrup (15.0 SRM) Extract 14.81 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer [3.40 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.70 %] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.25 oz E Kent Goldings [4.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 29.63 %

1 Pkg SafLager W European Lager (DCL Yeast #S-23) Yeast-Lager
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient (add amount per manufacture)

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.5%
Bitterness: 16.6 IBU Calories: 204 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.2 SRM

For credit for his work No Pils Pils -German Pilsner (Pils)

That sounds like an interesting brew. I've never used sorghum for a beer, but I see it listed as an ingredient for GF brews a lot. I used to use it on pancakes, but I haven't seen it in a grocery store in a long time.

Let us know how it comes out.

By the way, I googled and all Fermetis yeasts are certified GF.

Good luck with it. I hope it turns out well but my only sampling of a gluten free beer was a belgian import that was awful. :throwup: A friend whose wife has celiac disease and therefore is on a gluten free diet gave me two 16 oz bottles. I choked down one, and poured out the other to harvest the bottles.

Guest System Admin

Most GF beer that you buy in stores SUCK, they are ok for cooking (chili, beer brats, etc) but as far as drinking....

I have found one that was pretty good, but was $9 a six-pack, ouch!

Guest System Admin

bpgreen wrote:

That sounds like an interesting brew. I've never used sorghum for a beer, but I see it listed as an ingredient for GF brews a lot. I used to use it on pancakes, but I haven't seen it in a grocery store in a long time.

Let us know how it comes out.

By the way, I googled and all Fermetis yeasts are certified GF.

DKershner;1997163 said:

"Malt" and Adjuncts:

• Sorghum, both in raw form, Syrup Extract, and Syrup itself. The syrup extract is the closest thing to barley in terms of FAN, enzymes, and sugar content, but imparts a tangy, bitter, or citrusy aftertaste. This is the most highly used ingredient in gluten free beer. The syrup itself has unknown properties at this time for brewing. Raw form is also fairly unknown. Note: The roots of raw sorghum can contain cyanide and must be removed.
  • Brown Rice Syrup and Solids. Imparts a slight sweetness in taste to the brew, but ferments out similarly to sorghum or malt extract. Little FAN, may have problems converting on it's own.
  • Buckwheat, raw. Imparts a slight wheat-like flavor that can change with how long it is roasted. Often used for color. No enzymes.
  • Chestnut chips. Closest to barley flavor of the gluten free grains. No enzymes, so they must be added, typically amylase is used.
  • Corn Sugar, table sugar, candi sugar, corn syrup, etc. All impart their own colors and flavors and can be used as in gluten beer.
  • Maltodextrin. MOST of the time this ingredient is gluten free, especially in the US, check with your provider to be sure. Used for additional body in the beer.
  • Rice. Minute Rice is suggested to be used due to its ability to convert itself.
  • Oats. Make sure you get ones designated as 'gluten free' or else they could be crop rotated with wheat or packaged using equipment that also does wheat containing products. Used for mouthfeel, body, and head retention.
  • "Light" molasses= 90% fermentable
  • Blackstrap molasses = 50% fermentable

Approximate equivalent gluten free grain by common beer grain as matched by nutritional information*:
Wheat ~ Millet, Teff
Barley ~ Sorghum, Chestnuts
Rye ~ Buckwheat
Oats ~ GF Oats (duh), Quinoa, Amaranth

Hops:
All hops are gluten free.

Yeast:

Yeasts that are completely gluten free:

• All Fermentis Safale and Saflager Dry Yeasts - US05, S04, S33, T58, WB06, etc.
  • All Danstar/Lallemand/DCL Labs Dry Yeast Products - Nottingham, Windsor, etc.
  • Red Star Wine and Champagne Yeast - Montrachet, Pasteur, etc.

Yeasts that are almost gluten free:

• White Labs Yeast - All including Wine and Mead Yeast
  • This Yeast contains 12ppm in the slurry, a number slightly above the less than 10ppm requirement to be called gluten free. However, the final product (5gal of beer) only has 2ppm.

Yeasts that are not gluten free:

• Any Wyeast Yeast, including Wine and Mead Yeast

For strategies on how to reduce or eliminate gluten from yeast, see this link.

Any additions or suggestions, let me know.

Links to other helpful stuff:

* Source: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/gf-grain-equivalents-168609/

from the other site

My girlfriend will be so happy you posted this!!! :woohoo:

How exactly does the brew process for this break down?

Add the extracts to the water.... boil the hops in the wort...

do the 60 min boil first? then the 10 min boil? then dry hop the last ones after flame-out?

My LHBS has the rice extract, so I'll probably be trying this one soon... thanks again for posting this. :cheers:

Guest System Admin

Missed your post, sorry.

You do a 50 min boil then add the Cascade for the last 10 min, after flame-out you add the Kent Goldings as a dry hop to keg when mixing

Guest System Admin

Going through qBrew I had to modify the recipe alittle to get it right, here is the update for when I get my new keg next week:

Linda's GF Beer #1
------------------
Brewer: Toby (Trollby) Carlson
Style: Premium American Lager
Batch: 2.50 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.047 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 23 IBU
Recipe Color: 5° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.012
Alcohol by Volume: 4.5%
Alcohol by Weight: 3.6%

Ingredients
-----------
Brown Rice Extract 0.60 lb, Extract, Extract
Honey 1.00 lb, Sugar, Other
Sorghum Liquid Extract 1.80 lb, Extract, Extract

Cascade 0.50 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Hallertauer Saphir 0.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Kent Goldings (U.K.) 0.25 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes

Saflager S-23 Dry Lager Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Temperature Range: 51°-59°(optimal), up to 75°F 11.5 GRAMS
Yeast Nutrient 2.00 unit, Additive, 1 teaspoon per Gallon of beer at pitch time

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Add 2 gallons of filtered tap water, Sorghum Liquid Extract, Brown Rice Syrup. then add additional water until reach 3.20 gallons of liquid.Bring to a boil add Hallertauer hops and boil for 50 min, now add the Cascade hops and boil an additional 10 min.
Remove from heat, stir in Honey and mix well, now place in ICE bath until temp reaches 70* F.
Pour cooled WORT into fermentor, add Goldings hops, aerate well and take OG sample then add Yeast nutrients and pitch yeast.

Batch Notes:
Batch Size: 2.5 gal
Boil Size: 3.20 gal
Equipment: 4 gal stock pot or larger

Sanitize all equipment including hop-sacks
Ferment beer 21 days at 55-60* F

Trollby wrote:

Missed your post, sorry.

You do a 50 min boil then add the Cascade for the last 10 min, after flame-out you add the Kent Goldings as a dry hop to keg when mixing

Awesome, thanks for the summary/clarification.

This recipe inspired me to do my homework and read John Palmer's How to Brew.

My girlfriend must really be ready for me to step it up too, because I came home the other night and found she had bought me these...

003-1.jpg

I better get to brewing! :work:

Guest System Admin

I think I may try this...

Sounds good.

Guest System Admin

Got it done, changed it up some due to LHBS was missing some stuff.

Made 1 mistake, I threw the Kent Goldings in when was cooling wort, so I noticed it after about 10 min and pulled the hop sacks out and put in fermentor until I filled fermentor.

With 2.5 gallons water and all the stuff for boil it ended up at 6.5qts in the keg so I added water to 8.5qts and added 2 cups more (2.25 gallons). Taste was pretty good, slight bitter but honey flavor was there.

Linda's GF Beer #1
------------------
Brewer: Toby (Trollby) Carlson
Style: Premium American Lager
Batch: 2.25 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.051 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 16 IBU
Recipe Color: 3° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.013
Alcohol by Volume: 4.9%
Alcohol by Weight: 3.8%

Ingredients
-----------
Honey 1.00 lb, Sugar, Other
Rice Syrup Solids 0.50 lb, Extract, Extract
Sorghum Liquid Extract 1.80 lb, Extract, Extract

Cascade 0.25 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Hersbrucker (Germany) 0.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Kent Goldings (U.K.) 0.25 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes

Saflager S-23 Dry Lager Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Temperature Range: 51°-59°(optimal), up to 75°F 11.5 GRAMS
Yeast Nutrient 3.00 unit, Additive, 1 teaspoon per Gallon of beer at pitch time

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Add 2 gallons of filtered tap water, Sorghum Liquid Extract, Rice Syrup solids. then add additional water until reach 2.50 gallons of liquid.Bring to a boil add Hersbrucker hops and boil for 50 min, now add the Cascade hops and boil an additional 10 min. Remove from heat, stir in Honey and mix well, now place in ICE bath until temp reaches 70* F.
Pour cooled WORT into fermentor, add Goldings hops, aerate well and take OG sample then add Yeast nutrients and pitch yeast.

Batch Notes:
Batch Size: 2.25 gal Brewer: Toby Carlson
Boil Size: 2.50 gal
Equipment: 4 gal stock pot or larger

Sanitize all equipment including hop-sacks
Ferment beer 21 days (going to try and keep 66*F or less)

OG = 1.056 @ 66*F

Guest System Admin

Well bottled it today, got 22 bottles from the test batch.

OG = 1.056 @ 66*F
FG = 1.010 @ 66*F
ABV 6%

I did a test with 10 bottles added Raspberry extract (2ml) in 6 bottles and 2ml Strawberry Extract in 4 bottles for a test of a fruit flavor since wife loves raspberry and strawberries

Guest System Admin

smokeymountainbrewer wrote:

Have you tasted any of this yet?

Kinda been holding off on brewing it to see how it turns out.

First pour is June 10th

The guy that helped me said give it 6 weeks conditioning so that is 6 weeks in bottle.

Also I Lager conditioned for the first 4 weeks, then put at basement temp (normally 66-68 for summer) so it has had 2 weeks at that temp, Sunday I will put one in fridge for next Friday sample.

It ended up being higher ABV than expected and more than his original recipe so may take a little longer for conditioning.

Guest System Admin

dsci2386.jpg

Simply amazing, Linda loved it!

The first question she asked was:

You did write down what you did and can make more right?

Sounds great. I have a friend that I am planning to teach/work on a sorghum recipe with. As a result, I am drinking a Red Bridge as we speak as a little research. I may crib some of your recipe. The other two I've been analyzing are from Briess' website. They list a lager and a pale ale. Now, I see that you used a lager yeast. What lager temps were you able to maintain?

Guest System Admin

swenocha wrote:

Sounds great. I have a friend that I am planning to teach/work on a sorghum recipe with. As a result, I am drinking a Red Bridge as we speak as a little research. I may crib some of your recipe. The other two I've been analyzing are from Briess' website. They list a lager and a pale ale. Now, I see that you used a lager yeast. What lager temps were you able to maintain?

I kept my LBK at 50-51*F for 19 days, then raised to 59* on day 20 and 66* on day 21 for bottling.

Then I lagered at 55*f for 4 weeks then moved to basment shelf (room temp running about 68*F now)

I'm leaning toward an ale as this friend's first go just for simplicity, but I'll likely run Notty as low as possible (though this week, 66-68 has been a real chore). I'm thinking of following a similar lagering process for a can of OVL (with add-ons) for me shortly though. Thx for the info...

When you base a brew on this much Sorgum how do you get control over that molassassy bitterness it has? I have friends who could really use a gluten free beer, but Sorgum scares me. I have never had molassas in beer that I liked, except for very small amounts (tablespoons) of really light stuff... which seems comparable to Sorgum in flavor. The molassas bitterness isn't at all like hop bitterness, it's a different animal, and I don't really like it in any quantity.

Trollby wrote:

Nice!

I want to brew this but don't really have lagering capabilities at the moment.

Can you suggest an alternative yeast?

Or should I just go with another recipe completely? I'm gonna check out that pale ale recipe swen linked to.

Guest System Admin

Trollby wrote:

Nice!

Or should I just go with another recipe completely? I'm gonna check out that pale ale recipe swen linked to.

The yeast I used is good up to 75*F, I chose to Lager to get that flavor profile. As long as you can try and keep it 70* or less I bet would be fine

swenocha wrote:

Briess produces a debittered sorghum extract designed for brewing.

Ah, thanks!

Trollby wrote:

Nice!

As for an alternative yeast, I would choose something like Nottingham, which, though it is an ale yeast, will ferment clean similar to a lager if fermented at a low temp...

Sampled a bottle last night.... delicious!

I said, "Damn baby, I'd drink these!" She says..."No you wont... these are MINE!!"

The beer is still really cloudy though... looks kinda like lemonade.

Any thoughts on why so cloudy? Maybe just needs more time in the fridge before opening?

Guest System Admin

That is a traite of the sorguhm.

I heard that if you cold crash and move to secondary it may help, but heard that the flavor is best "All-natural"

Trollby wrote:

That is a traite of the sorguhm.

I heard that if you cold crash and move to secondary it may help, but heard that the flavor is best "All-natural"

Cool deal.

Thanks again for doing the research and posting the recipe.

Kristin and I love it!