Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
merline

2 new-brewer questions

Hi,
I'm new to this stuff but have made 2 successful MB batches so far. I do have a couple general questions:
1) When dealing with multiples HMEs, should one use all the yeast packets (assuming the dry yeast is what's called for in the recipe)? In other words, if I make something with 2 HMEs should I use both packets? But what about the UMEs? No need to increase the yeast with these?

2) I have read some of the recipes and it looks like some of the more complex ones suggest a 3 week fermentation time, as opposed to 2 weeks (at ~66-70 *F). If I do that, would it then be bad if that 3 weeks got stretched into 3.5 weeks? I'm trying to time the fermentation start for my next batch but will be out of town right at the 3 week point.

Thanks much for the assistance!
-Ellis (Raleigh, NC, USA)

merline wrote:

1) When dealing with multiples HMEs, should one use all the yeast packets...

Yes. Use both packets of yeast

2) I have read some of the recipes and it looks like some of the more complex ones suggest a 3 week fermentation time, as opposed to 2 weeks (at ~66-70 *F). If I do that, would it then be bad if that 3 weeks got stretched into 3.5 weeks?

No. 3.5 weeks of fermentation should be no problem. But are you sure the instructions are not referring to conditioning time? Either way, your fine.

Edit: Welcome to the forum!!!!!! :chug:

Welcome merline!

3 weeks is generally the max time but i would assume a few extra days wont be a big deal.

If using 2 HME's I'd use both packets....it takes alot to over pitch and this way your covered. That being said, I have used 1 packet on recipes with i hme and 1 ume equivelant. If it were me, and I was going to be away and cant monitor if its moving along ok, I'd get a pack of 11.5g yeat at my Local Home Brew Store (LHBS) and use that instead of the under the lid yeast....just my opinion

Mr Beer actually instructs you to use both packets of yeast.

2.2. Remove yeast packet from under lid of both HMEs, then place unopened cans in hot tap water (warm liquid pours more easily).

2.6. Sprinkle both yeast packs into keg and ALLOW TO SIT FOR 5 MINUTES. Stir vigorously again, then screw on lid.

Guest System Admin

Welcome to the Borg! smiley_welcome1-20110310.gif

packerduf wrote:

2.2. Remove yeast packet from under lid of both HMEs, then place unopened cans in hot tap water (warm liquid pours more easily).

2.6. Sprinkle both yeast packs into keg and ALLOW TO SIT FOR 5 MINUTES. Stir vigorously again, then screw on lid.

Yeah. Seems a bit silly to me that they don't give you a yeast packet with the UME too. They're the exact same thing other than the hops, and any extra cost would be counted in pennies.

Guest System Admin

I've seen recipes that use two yeast packets for two HMEs and other recipes for one yeast packet (min) for HME/UME mixes.

a couple of days different on your fermentation time is no big deal. As long as you have finished fermenting (consistant Final Grav with a hydrometer or no more bubble/kreusen on the surface) you are good.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be Assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: We have Beer.

What temps are you planning on fermenting at?

oly wrote:

packerduf wrote:

Yeah. Seems a bit silly to me that they don't give you a yeast packet with the UME too. They're the exact same thing other than the hops, and any extra cost would be counted in pennies.

Couldn't agree more. I throw in 2 or 3 packs if I'm using MB yeast. I use US-05 on most of mine so I usually have quite a few packs of MB around.

gophers6 wrote:

oly wrote:

packerduf wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I throw in 2 or 3 packs if I'm using MB yeast. I use US-05 on most of mine so I usually have quite a few packs of MB around.

I think the reasoning is that when you brew from a kit, you'll always have an HME, but you won't necessarily always have a UME. They sell the yeast by itself for 95c, so if they added it to the UME, it would increase the cost accordingly. I'm sure it's not costing Mr Beer 95c per packet, but they've got their costs, so for it to make sense for them to do it, they'd need to increase the cost by that much. While it's true that the cost is counted in pennies, you have to count to 95 to count them all.

oly wrote:

packerduf wrote:

+1

Thanks for the replies! I will use the multiple yeast packet suggestions. And as for the fermentation times, it shouldn't exceed 3.5 weeks so I think that will be ok as well. The temp in my basement (in North Carolina - moderate climate) is around 68 degrees F.

It's good to be part of this collective! Thanks for the welcoming comments. Have a great day everyone!