Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Hops boil for Black Tower Porter?

Guest System Admin

I'm considering a 1 oz Cascade hop boil for the Black Tower Porter premium refill because I'm a hop head and I know the porter leans toward the malty side.

For those who have brewed BTP, is this a good idea, bad idea, other thoughts?

you might wanna use LME or DME for a hops boil. both cans for the BTP are HME, you dont really wanna boil them. it will change the hop profile of the HME. then use both packets of yeast, unless you use something else.

EDIT: how long are you planning to boil?

Guest System Admin

Great point, yes I neglected to mention I would use some LME for the boil then add both HME cans at flameout.

I was thinking 1 oz Cascade at 55 minutes, but I was hoping folks who have had BTP would give input on whether that would be too hoppy for a porter.

Well, if you're a hop head, I don't think you can go wrong. One of our local breweries did a Porter IPA hybrid. Had all the characteristics of a porter, but with the hops bite of an IPA. I think it worked really well. My girlfriend isn't huge on IPAs. The porter kind of smoothed it out for her, I guess. It was very drinkable. I have the BTP in my beer room waiting to be used for my coconut porter, so I haven't brewed with it yet, but I don't think it would be undrinkable if you did what you're suggesting.

Well, 1 oz of cascade at 55 min won't give you any real flavor, just bitter the beer.

If you want to ramp up the hops profile look at these 2 charts ...
hop_utilization.jpg
hopsgraph.jpg

....these should help you to get what you want out of your beer.

Bittering will help bring down the malt profile but at the expense of taste in my opinion.

I'm a hop head too, but for a porter I'd probably stick with fuggles or willamette or goldings for just a touch more bitterness and to add aroma and flavor... I'd save my cascade (or amarillo, citra, centennial, etc.) for a black IPA that didn't have an abundance of roasty malts in it.

But that's just me, who knows it might be good with cascade. It will still be beer!

Guest System Admin

Good advice all. Maybe I'll do about a 30 min boil - good compromise between flavor and bitterness according to the chart. I'll keep that, thanks for attaching it!

Guest System Admin

30 min really will still only be bitter, just less bitter. If my understanding of the chart is correct the utilization begins on the downslope of the graph.
You get 100% flavor/aroma/bitterness at 7.5/22.5/60+ minutes respectively and then it follows the downward line from there.
So if you want flavor and bitterness maybe do 1/2oz at 60 and 1/2 or 1 oz at 22.5min.
The smarter peeps may chime in but thats my understanding.

The Dude wrote:

30 min really will still only be bitter, just less bitter. If my understanding of the chart is correct the utilization begins on the downslope of the graph.
You get 100% flavor/aroma/bitterness at 7.5/22.5/60+ minutes respectively and then it follows the downward line from there.
So if you want flavor and bitterness maybe do 1/2oz at 60 and 1/2 or 1 oz at 22.5min.
The smarter peeps may chime in but thats my understanding.

This is what I would do if I wanted hops for bittering and flavor.

Well, I disagree with Dude's statement that "30 minutes will only be bitter". At that point you get some flavor and some bitterness. Half and half according to the chart.

Personally, when I'm making anything that already has an HME, I would lean toward more simple on the hop additions, and do like you originally planned with one addition.

This way, you don't have to do a full 60 minute boil. You get soon a little sooner. Dude and Dave are talking about layering your hops, which is a good technique, and I use when not using an HME. Mr. Beer has added bittering and flavor hops for you in their HME. You have decided you want a little more

I'm not saying Dude and Dave are wrong with their layering approach with the HME. Their approach works too. It's really a matter of there being more than one way to do the same thing. Again, just a matter of leaning towards simple on my end.

Ideally, try it one way this time and the other the next time.

When I'm doing my own recipes (All grain or extract with steeping grains ... no HME's), I will layer the hops with a 60 minute (usually) bitterness addition, a 15 or 20 minute flavor addition, and usually either something between 5 minutes and flameout or will dry hop. Sometimes I'll skip the "flavor" addition. Sometimes I'll skip the aroma addition. It all depends on what you are going for. And again, you will find that sometimes different combos will give you similar results.

Anyway.... I probably rambled on too long here. Just hop it!

I agree with esheppy. I'm often pressed for time, so instead of doing three boils with optimum times for bitterness, flavor and aroma, I do two boils, one for 30 minutes for bitterness/flavor and one for 15 minutes for flavor/aroma. I figure that's where the lines intersect, so it's a good compromise.

mashani wrote:

I'm a hop head too, but for a porter I'd probably stick with fuggles or willamette or goldings for just a touch more bitterness and to add aroma and flavor... I'd save my cascade (or amarillo, citra, centennial, etc.) for a black IPA that didn't have an abundance of roasty malts in it.

But that's just me, who knows it might be good with cascade. It will still be beer!

Yep, save the cascade, try some goldings or even northern brewer in that porter.
:stout:

Guest System Admin

bpgreen wrote:

I agree with esheppy. I'm often pressed for time, so instead of doing three boils with optimum times for bitterness, flavor and aroma, I do two boils, one for 30 minutes for bitterness/flavor and one for 15 minutes for flavor/aroma. I figure that's where the lines intersect, so it's a good compromise.

Two separate boils? Or additions? Confused by the wording I suppose.

Guest System Admin

Great advice and opinions from all. I have the extra Cascade so that's what is going in and like you all say, give it a go one way this time and try another way the next. That's the beauty of this hobby!

The Dude wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

One pot with water and LME, add half the hops, 15 minutes later add the rest of the hops, 15 minutes later, turn off heat, add the rest of the LME and HME, then pour into the cold water in the fermenter and top off.

Guest System Admin

bpgreen wrote:

The Dude wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

One pot with water and LME, add half the hops, 15 minutes later add the rest of the hops, 15 minutes later, turn off heat, add the rest of the LME and HME, then pour into the cold water in the fermenter and top off.

Right on, thats what I thought, just looked weird on my initial read through and wanted to clarify.
;)