Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
nate4g63

ADIPA Issue

2 Weeks ago yesterday I bottled ADIPA and my own stout recipe. A few buddies had stopped by last night so I broke out a bottle of each, just to show off my two recent brews. I know 2 weeks bottled is young but I figured what the hell. Anyway, the stout is fantastic, perfectly carbonated and we were all surprised on how well it tasted. The ADIPA on the other hand is horrible. Definetely carbonated but something isnt right. There is hardly any flavor at all. I dont get it. I used 3 packets of Mr Beer yeast and it fermented nicely, checked with hydrometer. Any ideas on whats up? I know its young but I really expected a hell of a lot more flavor. Is it really just too young? I have to say I'm disappointed. Anyone else have a similiar experience?

I haven't brewed the ADIPA (not a hop-head myself) but most folks here that have brewed it really like it.

To help they are going to need specifics:
- Exact recipe
- Length and temp of fermentation
- Priming agent and amounts

Sorry I can't be of help, but the guy below me can.

I would not jump ship yet. Not sure what would cause it to be low flavor as I have not brewed this one but like you said, its young so you shouldn't get disappointed yet. Just take note and try again in 2 weeks.

Edit: Kealia isnt talking about me LOL :P

Welcome Nate - What flavor are you looking for? :huh:
I've made ADIPA 5 or six times & I'd have to say it's one of the best beers I brew. Everybody loves it. :drinking: If anything, you should have a lot of flavor. :unsure:
I'm pretty sure it's the beer they drink in heaven. :lol:Stairway_To_Heaven_American_IPA-20110320

Considering this is an IPA, an IPA flavor is what I was looking for. Hops, hops and hops!!! LOL.. Anyway I followed the recipe exactly, as I always do with the Mr Beer recipes. Length of fermentation was exactly 11 days, but I always go a day or two longer even if I have the same hydrometer readings. Temps were stable at around 67 - 69 degrees throughout fermentation. I used corn sugar to prime with, around 1.65 oz or nearly 4 tbsp. I used BeerSmith to get the correct measurement. I just thought it was odd that there is no hop aroma or flavor. Guess I will ride this out a little longer and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.

Personally, I think the ADIPA would benefit by flavor and aroma hop additions. JMHO. It's hard for extract manufacturers to know what's really going to float peoples' boat. I think they try and strike a happy medium with varying degrees of success, especially with IPA's, which can vary so much from country to country, and within the style, i.e. maltiness, hoppiness and strength.

I'm not an IPA guy myself, but I found that it took a lot longer to condition than other premium MB recipes. Witty Monk and Pilothouse are both ready to drink in a month, while I found the ADIPA to be better after at least 8 weeks. At that point I got a hop bitterness, not a bad beer bitterness.

oly wrote:

Personally, I think the ADIPA would benefit by flavor and aroma hop additions. JMHO. It's hard for extract manufacturers to know what's really going to float peoples' boat. I think they try and strike a happy medium with varying degrees of success, especially with IPA's, which can vary so much from country to country, and within the style, i.e. maltiness, hoppiness and strength.

+1... I found it to be a nice APA, but I wouldn't qualify it as an IPA...

Guest System Admin

I have only used cane sugar to prime with, but you might need more time in the bottle for corn sugar.

Bottom line is that most problems condition out with time. In two weeks, take one bottle from the room temp carb/cond area and send it to the fridge for a day or two. Test that one. Leave the others at room temp for another two weeks. you will likely be surprised at how different they taste from the 2 wk version to the 4 wk and then the 6 wk. Probably, at the 6 week mark you will have the beer you wanted when brewing.

Good luck.

I found the ADIPA to be a bit weak on the hops side. After my first batch I have always added a pound of light or amber DME and extra hops in a 45,30,20,10 minute boil, with much better results. I have experimented with Cascade, Centennial, Citra, and Williamette hops and like the combo of Citra, Centennial, Citra, and Williamette the best.

I made two batches of ADIPA the same time as an experiment 1: just the 2 cans & 2 fromunda yeast, 2: 1 bag of booster and 1 cup of honey I let them condition almost 2 months before I tried them, both came out excellent, I wanted to see what effect the added adjunct would have. I think condition time is important, this in one of my favorite brews now.

Hey docpd, I had a couple questions about your recipe. Did you dry hop after 7 days? Also, when did you add your DME? Lastly, does anyone have any advice on raising the ABV without compromising the taste for ADipa?

I steeped 8oz of crystal 20 for head retention, added 1# of DME and did a hop boil with .25oz of cascade at 30 and 10 minutes. Turned out very nice and around 6.5% abv according to my hydrometer readings. I just finished the last bottle this weekend which would have been in the bottle for almost 8 weeks. Time definitely made this beer better (although it was still good at 4 weeks).

06___Kicked_Up_ADIPA_2.jpg

Oh wow, I gotta try crystal 20. 6.5% is pretty impressive. Did you use the yeast that came with the ADipa or did you use a different kind?

ADIPA was 1 of recipes I got with kit way back when. My palette had not yet evolved, and I didn't care for it. Now I'm a hop bomb lover, and maybe it's time to revisit it with some additions per Doc PD.

Reagan.a wrote:

Oh wow, I gotta try crystal 20. 6.5% is pretty impressive. Did you use the yeast that came with the ADipa or did you use a different kind?

I've got a couple of comments. First, don't get all impressed by the ABV. Second, 6.5% ABV isn't all that impressive. Third, the Crystal 20 wasn't what bumped the ABV up (it bumped it a little, but not much).

When you're crafting a recipe, go for the color and flavor you want. Don't worry about the ABV. I've had beers with an ABV below 4 and above 9. One of my worst tasting beers was one of the highest in ABV.

My advice is to do some simple batches, add new ingredients incrementally so you can see how they affect the taste, and learn the process.

If you just want to up the ABV, dump in a bucket of sugar. The beer will taste horrid, but it will have a high ABV.

I added the Crystal 20 and 1# of light DME before I did my hop boil. I saw those additions somewhere on this board so I decided to give it a try. I also used some S-05 ale yeast instead of what came with the cans of HME

Thanks for the advice, bpgreen. I can't imagine it would taste good either. But being new to homebrewing, I just thought 6.5% was impressive to get without ruining the quality of the beer.

I m gonna look into that crystal 20 and I was thinking about going with an amber DME and maybe a Wyeast Lab 1056 yeast.

Reagan.a wrote:

Thanks for the advice, bpgreen. I can't imagine it would taste good either. But being new to homebrewing, I just thought 6.5% was impressive to get without ruining the quality of the beer.

I agree with you.

Reagan.a wrote:

I m gonna look into that crystal 20 and I was thinking about going with an amber DME and maybe a Wyeast Lab 1056 yeast.

If you're doing your own steep, I wouldn't eve bother with the colored DME. Just go with light or extra light.

Effectively, Amber DME is just Light DME with Steeped Crystal 60L (I think). If you're steeping your own 20L, just get "plain" DME.

Reagan.a wrote:

I've had a number of batches that came in around 8%. But that's just where they happened to come it. I created the recipe with the malt bill, added hops, then brewed and he ABV came in where it came in.