Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
hagelini

New Brewer

Hello everyone. I got a Mr. Beer kit over Christmas, and created my first batch of West Coast Pale Ale. I looked on the forums before I brewed and went along with the 2-2-2 method that so many have said works well. The batch came out okay, slightly cidery, but its probably my fault for not having the best measuring device for priming sugar. I am moving on to a recipe that does not use booster, Bewitched Red Ale w/Mellow Amber. I am also planning on using glass bottles so I can give out some to friends/family and not care so much about getting the bottles back.

Anyway, my true question is that my wife found out that Mr. Beer also offers a root beer making kit and she really loves root beer. I have ordered a refill kit, but after I did that, I got to thinking. Does anyone know if brewing root beer in the Mr. Beer kit is going to make any following beer brews have a root beer taste or aroma? What about the PET bottles?

I have read in another post that it does leave an aroma, but I think they also said it was slight and eventually went away. I'm sure someone will post their personnel findings though.

First off Welcome to the Borg. We have Beer! To answer your question, Yes if you make rootbeer in the fermentor you use for beer. it will have an affect on batches of beer brew. best to order a fermentor to use only for rootbeer. You should also get a hydromoter, and a extra fermentor for beer. this way you can brew more beer.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be Assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have Beer.

I suggest that you have a dedicated fermenter for your rootbeer. Also, the bottles you use should be just for the Rootbeer and not the beer. May I suggest that you use Root Beer Pet Bottles for it.

Thank you all for the answers. Since I am not using the plastic bottles from the Mr. Beer kit, that will work out well.

Back onto the beer topic then, is it much more worthwhile to batch prime instead of bottle prime? The biggest issue I've noticed with my first batch is some bottles have excellent carbonation while others are basically flat. It would be nice to have each bottle be the same.

I cannot seem to find the slimline at my local wal-mart or target, so if I were to buy a second Mr. Beer fermenter, is it possible to use that to batch prime as long as I plug up the holes where air could escape, or should I invest in a true bucket/container that is made for batch priming? Or should I just get a Slimline through the web and pay as much for shipping as I do the container... Also, for those more experienced, is it a good idea to invest in the swing top bottles?

Sorry for all the questions. I am new to all this and rather excited about brewing beer.

as far as the first part:
Batch vs Bottle prime is a personal pref. Some like the batch priming and some like the bottle priming. If, with bottle priming, you're having problems, look at what your doing. Each bottle SHOULD have the same amount (per size) bottle. If your getting different carbinations, the following may be the culprit:
Different "trub" levels in the bottles (read increased yeast)
Caps not secured properly.
Not putting the proper amount of priming sugar in the bottle.

The next part... Why would you want to "plug up the holes where air could escape"...and what are you refering to?
With the secondary, your adding your pre-mixed priming sugar along with your beer,it mixes, you bottle it. Your not leaving the beer in the batch prime container all that long, and you shouldn't be splashing it around.

Swing top bottles..they're ok, I've gone back to capable bottles.

hagelini wrote:

Thank you all for the answers. Since I am not using the plastic bottles from the Mr. Beer kit, that will work out well.

Just so it's clear on this....
When making the Mr.Rootbeer - you DO NOT even use the fermenter. The whole process goes from brewing right to the bottles. I have made many batches of Rootbeer and I have dedicated 4 PET bottles just for rootbeer. Others have said they got the smell out...but I haven't.
I bottle my beer in glass, so no worries.

hagelini wrote:

Back onto the beer topic then, is it much more worthwhile to batch prime instead of bottle prime? The biggest issue I've noticed with my first batch is some bottles have excellent carbonation while others are basically flat. It would be nice to have each bottle be the same.

I cannot seem to find the slimline at my local wal-mart or target, so if I were to buy a second Mr. Beer fermenter, is it possible to use that to batch prime as long as I plug up the holes where air could escape, or should I invest in a true bucket/container that is made for batch priming? Or should I just get a Slimline through the web and pay as much for shipping as I do the container... Also, for those more experienced, is it a good idea to invest in the swing top bottles?

Sorry for all the questions. I am new to all this and rather excited about brewing beer.

You can use a second MB keg for batch priming...works great! No need to plug up any holes. As a matter of fact, you don't even need the keg lid while doing this. Unless you are maticulous about measuring into each bottle, batch priming does theoretically give you an easier route to consistently primed bottles. Personal preference really. Now with 5 gallon batches especially, it is a lot less work to just batch prime.

Flip tops...another personal preference. Have to factor in the cost when you decide. The gaskets probably won't last "forever" either. They do look real nice though...don't give too many away! ;)

I use a MB keg exclusivley for batch priming. Just use the bottling wand, removing the tip of it, and voila! batch_priming-20110321.jpg