Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
duranko1332

All Grain!

A new friend of mine Noah showed some friends and I his all grain brewing steps this weekend. It was really awesome and very eye opening.

We created an "Edward De Vere Stout" in roughly 4 hours and it was a blast. If you can find someone who is cool enough to teach you some all grain stuff totally go for it!

I plan on continuing learning Mr.Beer recipes for now but one day I would like to get an all grain set up going.

I have been doing all grain brew in the bag batches and I love it. Its not much harder than steeping some grains in some water and removing the bag. The beer tastes better and is much cheaper to make.

I just did my second AG batch yesterday and love it. First batch was BIAB method and I realized I am not that good at it. So before this last batch I built a Mash lauter tun out of a 5 gallon circular cooler with directions that I found online and it worked out amazingly well. I plan on doing this a lot and it I only have the Mr. Beer setup so I do the 2-2.4 gallon batches.

crazybrody is right, this last batch only cost $13 (although I already had the yeast).

Youtube taught me how to do all grain brewing...

Every year my wife and I donate our time to the Local Dollars 4 Scholars in Windsor Locks, CT. They have an Auction to raise scholarship money for the students there. We work as Pat and Vanna, showing the items that people are bidding on. This year I asked Mr. Beer to donate something, which they did and it was awesome! The kit, along with a $25 dollar gift card to Midwest Supplies sold for about $55. Not only that, I included a certificate from myself entitling the person to brewing lessons for the kit and more. I'm going to get him started and also show him how to bottle and all the procedures that go with it.

Not only that but he is going to invite over some friends and we are going to make a day of it. I'll show them the basics with extract brewing, which his friend already does, and go into more details about partial mashing and full mashing. Eventually, if he likes brewing, we will set up a time that they can all come over and see the whole process of AG brewing.

Should be a great time!

D Rabbit wrote:

Every year my wife and I donate our time to the Local Dollars 4 Scholars in Windsor Locks, CT. They have an Auction to raise scholarship money for the students there. We work as Pat and Vanna, showing the items that people are bidding on. This year I asked Mr. Beer to donate something, which they did and it was awesome! The kit, along with a $25 dollar gift card to Midwest Supplies sold for about $55. Not only that, I included a certificate from myself entitling the person to brewing lessons for the kit and more. I'm going to get him started and also show him how to bottle and all the procedures that go with it.

Not only that but he is going to invite over some friends and we are going to make a day of it. I'll show them the basics with extract brewing, which his friend already does, and go into more details about partial mashing and full mashing. Eventually, if he likes brewing, we will set up a time that they can all come over and see the whole process of AG brewing.

Should be a great time!

That's cool, Rabbit. What a great idea, and for a great cause, too.

Dan Roy - Mr. Beer's equivalent of St. Paul.

Yeah I want to look into building a mash tunn so I can do full mash recipes. I've seen people make them out of the larger coolers (as mentioned above) but do you think I could get a smaller cooler to do a Mr.Beer sized All grain batch?

My space is kind of limited and I'm still working in a kitchen so I think the 2.5 gal batches are ideal. I'm sure I can do the math and break some all grain recipes in half.

There are definately threads on how to make them on here or homebrewtalk. I made one myself and the thread is probably back to late last summer time, maybe august or september. I have some pics and measurements I think laying around somewhere. They are fun and aggrivating to build all at the same time!

Yeah I found a few builds. The orange sports cooler style?
I'll check it out.

Where do you guys buy your grain? Local store? Northern Brewing Site?

Thanks

No shipping cost buying locally. Your price per pound goes down a lot if you buy 50 lb bags too.

Yeah, I buy locally and the grain is under $2 a pound depending on what you get. Threw out my last receipt so I couldn't tell you exactly.

For a Mr. Beer batch the 5 gallon cooler is perfect. If that is all you plan on doing then go for that one instead of the huge coolers that most people do with the bigger setups. Making it yourself isn't that hard and all the equipment should be easily found at the hardware store.

I feel very lucky with how much I pay per lb of grain. I don't even think my cost is more than a dollar per pound of grain. Can't believe some of the prices people pay for it at their LHBS!

The guy who showed me All Grain had bad experiences with our local homebrewing store, bunch of jerks I guess, so I'll probably avoid them.

Online is more my style anyway.
Suggestions on online sites besides Northern Brewing?

duranko1332 wrote:

The guy who showed me All Grain had bad experiences with our local homebrewing store, bunch of jerks I guess, so I'll probably avoid them.

Online is more my style anyway.
Suggestions on online sites besides Northern Brewing?

http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/default.asp

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/

for DME:
http://dmemart.com

For hops:
http://www.hopsdirect.com

I've also gotten good deals on hops from ebay and I've bought refill kits on Amazon.

All grain is definitely the way to go, and it's really not that hard to learn how to do. The centerpiece is the mash tun, I went with a 5 gallon igloo round cooler myself and haven't looked back since.

Rabbit, great cause, that's awesome!

I just put my 4th all grain batch in the fermenter the other night. Great hoppy pale ale. I went with the 5 gal igloo cooler build. Found the instructions online. Cost was less than 40 bucks (I think 37). Home Depot usually has decent pricing on the coolers (I've seen them as low as 20-25). You tube is a great resource for for instructional vids and the more you watch, the more bits and pieces you pick up. A 5 gal. cooler will do up to 13 lbs. of grain which as mentioned, will easily do a MR Beer sized batch (5-7lbs depending on the ABV you want) but 13 lbs will also get you a 5 gal batch in the 6%-7% range.

I've got the Maibock Seasonal in my MB keg as well. All grain is fun, and I love the beers I'm putting together, but as Tabasco pointed out in a different thread, it does take more time.

:cheers:

I went with a 5 gallon igloo round cooler myself and haven't looked back since.

Yeah Screwy Brewer I've got you're mash tun tutorial bookmarked. I'm sure you hear this a lot but thank you sooooo much for your website.
It's amazing!

haha

Thanks for the grain and hop links as well my fellow board members. Most helpful board on the net I swear.

All grain brewing does take a lot of time, anywhere from 4-8 hours. But in the end, you'll have some form of beer that YOU made.

Gettin close to AG. Last Mr Beer sized batch I used 3.5 lbs of grain and 1.5 lbs DME. Gonna do 6 lbs with a 21 qt pot.

Hurst/Olds wrote:

Gettin close to AG. Last Mr Beer sized batch I used 3.5 lbs of grain and 1.5 lbs DME. Gonna do 6 lbs with a 21 qt pot.

Impressive. I'm going to do my first stove top AG recipe today. Only have about 4.5lbs of grain for it. Based on that it is going to be a relatively low ABV, about 4.25% brew, which is what I wanted to do. Its a dry stout so its not meant to knock you off your chair. That is what my Big Black Hole is for at 9%!

I'll post some pictures in another thread as the day progresses. I'll be using a 20qt pot and 16qt pot for the sparge.

I'm trending toward AG (BIAB) as well. I just don't have the pot for it yet. I'm doing my PMs right now in a 12qt (I think) pot. I figure I'd need at least a 20qt one for 2.4gal BIAB batches.

ugh!! I need to get some bigger pots! My last one I had to split the wort into two 12qt pots and once I boiled off enough wort, I poured it all into one pot. I am thinking the 20qt pot is the way to go because waiting to catch a boil over for almost an hour is no fun.

Drabbit, I have thought about it lately and have decided since summer is coming up that lower ABV is probably what I am looking for since I like to drink :) Let us know how your brew day goes.

Amazon. Picked up a 21qt SS pot, pretty heavy duty, for around $70. Got a digital scale for hops for $15.

I have a 15.5 gallon keg converted to a kettle - it's a little tall for 5 gallon batches but I can let it boil with zero worries of a boil over. I purchased a 32 quart stainless pot for heating sparge water. I used the 32Qt pot to boil my last 5 gallon batch and I had to pull it off the burner a couple of times to prevent boil over.

Colby wrote:

I have a 15.5 gallon keg converted to a kettle - it's a little tall for 5 gallon batches but I can let it boil with zero worries of a boil over. I purchased a 32 quart stainless pot for heating sparge water. I used the 32Qt pot to boil my last 5 gallon batch and I had to pull it off the burner a couple of times to prevent boil over.

I can see that with an 8 gallon pot. I usually do a 6 to 6.5 gallon boil and with using a 10 gallon pot it gets pretty close to the top of the pot before backing down.

D Rabbit wrote:

Colby wrote:

I can see that with an 8 gallon pot. I usually do a 6 to 6.5 gallon boil and with using a 10 gallon pot it gets pretty close to the top of the pot before backing down.

Yeah, that's why I got it just for heating sparge water. I thought I'd see what it would do for a 5.5 gallon batch....never again lol.