Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
centurifdny

Ok, so I'm confused

I have read and re-read the MB instructions for prepping wort and unless I'm mistaken you boil the water, take off flame and then add cans and mix. But as I delve deeper and deeper into the world of brewing I'm reading everyone talk about 10 minutes into the boil or 5 minutes before flameout. Are we supposed to reboil after adding the cans into the already boiled water??

I ask because I'm waiting for my Whispering Wheat recipe and I have some Orange extract I'd like to add and don't know when (after mix, after yeast, at bottling).

Thanks. BTW, tried my Grand Bohemian after 24 hrs in fridge, it was good but should be better Friday. I sat for 3 weeks carb/conditioning and had a great taste, a little heavier than I expected on carb but had good head retention. No pics, but I have 6 other bottles in fridge so once I open another one will try and post a pic.

When people are talking about the boil, they are not using Mr. B HME. You shouldn't boil the HME (well, IMHO you shouldn't) because you will change the hop boil that is already built into the HME. If you want to boil hops (or whatever), you need to boil it in DME or UME/LME.

Our general rule of thumb on here is that you don't want to add the HME because it will severely alter the flavor of your beer (generally not for the better). Once you hit boiling point and you're done with boiling any hops/LME/UME, you flameout and add the HME. If you have any other questions let us know!

Guest System Admin

centurfdny,

Firefighter? Good on ya.

as for your fruit question or extract question lots of guys add it to the cooled wort. Some even a week into fermentation. I took FedoraDave's advice last week and added a Cup of OJ to my Whispering Wheat (2x HME) and hops and spices to make a Belgian Blanc. I added when the wort was probably cooled to room temp. He has added a week into fermentation.

Another suggestion... take a couple of bottles of your Grand Bohemian out of the fridge and keep them at room temp for another two weeks. Compare the taste from those that carb/cond for three weeks to those that do it for five. Stick em in the fridge for 24-48 hrs before drinking. The difference in taste will be noticable. This lesson taught me 'more' patience. Like I had any to begin with.

It's all about the Obsession.... er, hobby.

For your extract, add it at bottling. If you don't batch prime, you will need to stir it gently into your beer, and probably need to give it a few hours for your trub to re-settle.

centurifdny wrote:

Thanks Gents!

Oly - how many drops per bottle do you think?

You got me there. I've only added extract with batch priming, and different extracts call for different amounts for use. Some call for only a couple ounces for a five gallon batch, some recommend four or more. I can say that the last extract I used, a strawberry extract, called for four to five ounces for a five gallon batch. I only wanted a hint of strawberry flavor, just enough to make someone wonder what it was, so I used half what the manufacturer recommended. The flavor and aroma is still very obvious to me, unless the beer is very cold. I think the easiest way to add it would be to put it into your fermenter (if not batch priming), stir gently and give it some time to mix well, and for your trub to settle if it is stirred up at all. Stir very gently so you leave a CO2 blanket on the beer, and don't add any air to the beer itself.

One nice thing about the Mr. Beer fermenters is that they are small enough to experiment in this way. It's a lot easier to polish off a couple twelve packs of beer that didn't work out so well, than to go through five or six gallons of it.

centurifdny wrote:

Thanks Gents!

I've never done this, but some people will buy a commercial beer while waiting for their batch to ferment and add some extract to those bottles, experimenting until they get the taste they're looking for.

One thing to note is that the flavor you get that way may be different from the flavor after it is in the bottle, melding with other flavors during the carbing and conditioning.

centurifdny wrote:

Thanks Gents!

This is a tough, if not impossible question to answer, because the level of flavor perception in each individual differs, and this addition isn't something that can be formulaic, as a malt bill or hops bill can be. I've added extracts at priming (I batch prime), and the influence differs depending on the extract and the brew itself. A hazelnut extract added to an amber ale produced a fairly strong, yet pleasant aroma and flavor, while cranberry extract added to a spiced porter wasn't noticeable at all.

I would advise starting with a smaller amount rather than a larger amount, though. It's easier to add than subtract in cases like this, and too much might ruin the beer for you, whereas too little would still be drinkable; just not the taste you were aiming for.

I like Oly's advice of adding gently to the fermenter. Trying to get two or three drops into each bottle would be frustrating and very time-consuming, IMO.

Ok, so this is what i plan on doing when the time comes.

Since the bottle states 1 tsp = 1 med orange zest and many of fellow brewers posts states 2 oranges I am going to add 2 tsp into the fermenter 1 day before bottling to allow any stirred up trub to settle.

Lemme know how y'all feel about this.

centurifdny wrote:

Since the bottle states 1 tsp = 1 med orange zest and many of fellow brewers posts states 2 oranges I am going to add 2 tsp into the fermenter 1 day before bottling to allow any stirred up trub to settle.

That should work. Sanitize the teaspoon, open the fermenter carefully, add the extract and close it again.

Guest System Admin

FD said "formulaic"

I need a thesaurus to read beer blogs now. :P

centurifdny wrote:

I feel like I wanna drink a pint or two of this once it's all done. Sounds like a good plan.

Beer Daddy wrote:

FD said "formulaic"

I need a thesaurus to read beer blogs now. :P

I gots me a edumacashun. :P

Guest System Admin

Maybe someone else would like to comment on this, but I wouldn't recommend stirring up the trub. I was advised against stirring in a flavoring even gently ...

dferron wrote:

Maybe someone else would like to comment on this, but I wouldn't recommend stirring up the trub. I was advised against stirring in a flavoring even gently ...

Rationale?

dferron wrote:

Perhaps, but if it's done a day or two before bottling, the trub will have a chance to settle again.

But even if he just puts the extract into the fermenter a couple of days before bottling, I imagine that the flavor would work its way through the entire batch.

I'd be a little hesitant about stirring, too, but then again, when I take the keg out of the fridge after cold crashing, I'm sure I'm disturbing some of the trub. The watchword in all of this is "gently".

bpgreen wrote:

centurifdny wrote:

Thanks Gents!

I've never done this, but some people will buy a commercial beer while waiting for their batch to ferment and add some extract to those bottles, experimenting until they get the taste they're looking for.

One thing to note is that the flavor you get that way may be different from the flavor after it is in the bottle, melding with other flavors during the carbing and conditioning.

I'm experimenting with flavoring commercial beer right now. Once I find what I'm looking for, I'll shake the cob webs off of my math skills and see how it compares with the instructions on the bottle.

Like you, I wonder how different the flavor will be. Thanks for the post, it's helping me with my next batch.

Hey FD, if you're anywhere near Brooklyn, NY you are welcome to try the brew once I make it!

I will be very gently mixing, and perhaps 3-4 days early is better top allow for better settling. I just get nervous about opening fermenter given all the "DON'T OPEN THE FERMENTER OR LIFE ON THE PLANET WILL END" talk.. LOL

I think you'll find many of us around here don't adhere to the "do not open the fermenter" meme. As long as you are sanitary you should be fine. I've opened maybe half of mine (at least) for dryhop additions. Also, when you move to a secondary, I would contend that you are at at much (or greater) risk to do something to your beer than a quick addition, and yet racking to a secondary is a fairly common practice.

Just make sure you are using sanitized equipment and that you don't dawdle... open, take care of business, and then close.