Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trying 4 Greatness

Nearly lost my batch of Brew Ha Ha Bock today

With temperatures starting to climb into the 80's I moved my keg to a cooler the other day. Well last night I switched out water bottles and the bottle I put in would not fit standing up so I laid it on it's side and wedged it between the top of the keg and the cooler wall. When I went to change bottles today the cooler was about half full of beer! Apparently as the bottle warmed in shrank and slid down on top of the tap. As far as I can tell I lost at least half of the batch which sucks because what I poured out smelled really good. Since it has been in the keg over 14 days I'm going to bottle the rest today anyways just sad that I lost so much since I was really looking forward to this batch.

I guess if the rest comes out good it will give me an excuse to brew this one again.

I would take that water bottle out back and shoot it if I were you, sorry for your loss.

That's just a crying shame. But a lesson learned the hard way, I guess. Mistakes that result in a loss of beer are mistakes you won't make twice.

I've made one or two myself, but never lost half a keg. :(

Major bummer dude. I like frogmeat's solution for the offending water bottle. :shoot:

It's official over half a keg gone. :( Normally when I bottle I get 14 full 20 ounce bottles. Tonight when I bottled it was 6 twenty ounce and one 16 ounce about 2/3 full.

Now the question is do I wait the six weeks before I drink one from this batch to make sure I like it or do I go ahead and order a replacement batch now without ever tasting the finished product? I love Shiner Bock and this smells better than Shiner so I'm tempted to reorder it now so I'll be ready later.