Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
texasbrewer0069

voodoo magic qeustion

I have brewed Voodoo Magic recipe from MrB.... after two weeks in fermenter it tastes kinda cidery.... the recipe has brown sugar in it.... is that where taste is from? I fermented at 70 degrees ....any input appreciated..

According to the experts, the cidery flavor comes from acetaldehyde, which is an early byproduct of fermentation and not necessarily directly attributed to cane sugars, but could also be a natural byproduct of the yeast, or of a rapid fermentation...in any event, as Oly says, patience, and it will condition its way out during secondary fermentation/conditioning.

Let it ferment another week, then bottle, IM drinking one as we speak, I fermented it for 3 weeks, I bottled it on Jan 20th let it carb and condition at room temp for 4 weeks and 1 week in the fridge and its delicious

No mine was more sweet but I didnt taste it until the 3rd week, then i bottled,and keep it in a pantry where it sits at about 68 70 degrees, then ill put a couple in the fridge a few days before i drink them, ill post a pic

I made a version back in March '09. Look for any threads with 'deja voodoo' in the title or body. My notes from back then say 'very cidery'. I tried the first one after only 24 hours in the fridge (after 2 weeks carbing). The off flavors are understandable.

Let 'em age and you will be very pleased...

Looking at my notes, this one needs a revisit. Holy Cow, it was batch number 2...!!??

was you temp 70 F? to me that may be a tad high, what yeast did you use? try 65 F next time, if you use the fromunda yeast and yes i know that that yeast works up to 76 but, remember that is ambiant temp, in side the keg, the temp will be about 5 degress higher because the yeasties getting busy

Guest System Admin

Brian is right about high temps making fast fermentation. This makes sweeter beer to begin carb/cond time. However... it all smooths out if you can leave it in the bottle for 4+ weeks. Try one or two at 4 wks and see what you think.

Low Tech must be a Blues fan. Kenny Wayne Shepard had a song called Deja Voodoo... inspired by Jimi and Voodoo Child?