Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rothbr

Eye Opener Sumatra Stout w/ instant espresso?

I am currently fermenting the Eye Opener Sumatra Stout. I don't have an espresso machine and wasn't sure the best way for me to add the required espresso at bottling time.

My wife found instant espresso at the store and I am wondering if I should make that or if there was another better way to do this? I don't drink coffee and have no idea how this stuff works or the difference in taste. Is it even possible to go to Starbucks and get a 12oz cup of espresso?

Guest System Admin

Wait to hear from someone who has used espresso before you add it. I can imagine that there would be small differences in brewed espresso and instant... and huge differences in 12 oz of espresso vs a cup or half cup.

It sounds good though.

When you get replies with specific instructions look for:
-Amount
-Type if important (brewed vs instant)
-when to add (during fermentation or before bottling/in the bottle)

have fun.

Guest System Admin

I brewed the Eye Opener and love it .. just 5 bottles left :(

I brewed my own espresso, 1oz per 12oz bottle. The MB instructions would not have been nearly enough IMO. One of our stores (Cash and Carry) carries brewed espresso. Don't recall the size of the bottle or the exact price, but I think it was around 12oz for about $8.

If you do not have access to home brewed espresso, or the store bought, then I would see nothng wrong with using the powdered. Be sure to sanitize the container you make the espresso in. I would make enough to use 1oz per bottle. Actually, make a couple extra just in case your adding to each bottle are not exact.

Hope you enjoy the Eye Opener as much as I do. Going to try the Russiam Imperial Stout next. It has espresso, too.

Be sure to sanitize the container you make the espresso in.

I did not even think about that, which I bet, makes it not such a good idea to get it at a coffee house. I will look for a store bought bottle first, but if not, I will go with the instant stuff.

Hope you enjoy the Eye Opener as much as I do. Going to try the Russian Imperial Stout next. It has espresso, too.

Stouts are my favorite and given that this is the first one that I have brewed, I am really looking forward to it. Might have to try out the Russian Imperial next. :stout:

You can use the instant ... I just suggest rehydrating it, since it is probally freeze dried, before adding it (that way you can adjust for taste/flavor/intensity of the espresso).

I use the instant espresso when camping. Tastes fine, and as for the purposes that you intend to use it for (adding espresso flavor to your stout), should be fine. The stout is going to hide the more complex flavors that you find in say a Starbucks espresso anyway.

Soooo... unless your an espresso snob, use the instant.

Last week I brewed the Russian Imperial Stout which called for expresso beans , I believe any coffee bean can be served expresso style, but I found some Mexican roasted expresso beans, I got a half pound, coarsely ground used 1 cup, the wort smelled and tasted so good, 12 hrs later I had thick black krausen on top, also think I'm going to add a bean to each bottle, can't wait bet it will be delicious, a long 6 months

@sp8

If at bottling time there isn't the coffee flavor that you want, you might consider adding 1oz of espresso to each 12oz bottle. Not sure that adding a bean to each bottle will do much. It is the hot extraction of the coffee oils that bring the flavor. The darker the roast, the more intense the coffee flavor.

I have been roasting my own beans and making my own espressos/lattes for about 6 years. At least one a day, sometimes more :) There are beams that make better espressos than others, because of the flavors the beans offer. Darker roasts generally make better espresso.

BTW ... Starbucks coffee is not all that good. Roasted beans should be used within a week, and brewed within 3 days of being ground. How long do you think the packages they sell have been on the shelf? Think about the stock in those dispensers in your local grocery store. BUT for what we add to our brews, does not make a difference as we look for the coffee flavor and not the subtle overtones.

Enjoy!!

Yeah Im sure the 1 Cup of ground beans will be enough, for me anyway, I even went and bought a six Shafly oatmeal coffee stout but didn't really care for it too much. I like coffee but don't want it too over powering, and as for the been in each bottle is more for fun than flavor,

I used fresh ground coffee in the coffee stout I made. Enough for a pot, put in hopsack, 4 cups water at 180*, steeped for 20 min, cooled and added to keg with wort. Awesome , but not overpowering flavor. My favorite out of 35ish batches. Used 2 sticky wicket as a base with a bunch of different grains.

Yes that sounds really good, I really like the Stouts, Sticky Wicket is one of my favorites, as is the Oatmeal Stout, but its gonna be 6 months n 2 weeks and counting before they are ready, ill taste it in 2 more weeks and see how strong the coffee flavor is but think it will be enough,