Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
centurifdny

Cider brewing

I notice that the MB cider kit has a clear fermenter, but with two already in the house and us getting ready to move, last thing I want is more stuff (maybe later). Can you brew a basic cider in a beer MB fermenter? Would I want to? What are the risks?

Thanks gents!

Guest System Admin

Nothing wrong with brewing a cider in a standard keg.

They reason for clear is that no hops to "skunk" the brew.

I use a clear plastic slimline water bottle from wally world. I got 2 . One for batch priming

I do my Nong Ciders in the kegs all the time. If I'm not brewing beer, that just means I can make cider. Down side: I leave the sider in the keg for a month...

Guest System Admin

I brewed an apricot cider in the MB brown keg and it turned out just fine. Just don't brew beer in a clear.

Hey guys spence here, just a question on the cider. I just made a blueberry cider washed up and sanitized real good ,brewed the cider cooled down add the yeast.Last nite cider had signs of fermation, this morning it look like it had stopped also strange odor, maybe need somehelp on this please thanks alot.

spence wrote:

Hey guys spence here, just a question on the cider. I just made a blueberry cider washed up and sanitized real good ,brewed the cider cooled down add the yeast.Last nite cider had signs of fermation, this morning it look like it had stopped also strange odor, maybe need somehelp on this please thanks alot.

My cider fermentations are more leasurely than beer and usually more odouriferous. Watch you temps, the cider likes it warmer than beer.
Keep posting.

Guest System Admin

I have used my cider(clear) keg to brew numerous batches of beer with no problems. I follow a simple rule of keeping the keg in the dark - duh, and bottle from it at night. Then those nasty UV rays have less of a chance to attack it. I'm sure you won't have problems doing just the opposite.

Cheers! :chug: