Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
teran85

mason jars

has any one ever used mason jars in brewing weather it be for fermenting or brewing and how did it go? or is it a dumb idea

Guest System Admin

Mason jars aren't made to hold the pressure of carbonation. No good for fermaneting either. No way to easily get from the mason to bottle without areation problem. Not dark glass to block out UV light. There are other issues to, but all in all ... bad idea.

I've used them for small yeast starters. Don't see where they'd be much use otherwise though, unless you use them for storing steeping grains.

But they are designed to hold pressure. Canning pressure which isnt much more than brewing pressure. Im sure in a pinch you could probably use them as bottles if you needed to. As for them being clear, its not very hard to keep them out of light. Throw em in a box or a dark place around your home. Post your results if you try it

Guest System Admin

Canning jars are meant to hold a vacuum, not positive pressure.
Mason jars are designed to hold vacuum, not positive pressure.

I found numerous references to the above statements on other brew sites. The seals on a mason jar are meant to be heated so that the rubber is soft creating a positive seal when the contents cool, creating a vaccuum. Though you may not end up with a bomb, you could certainly end up with skunky beer because of less than a positive seal.

ILoveLamp wrote:

But they are designed to hold pressure. Canning pressure which isnt much more than brewing pressure. Im sure in a pinch you could probably use them as bottles if you needed to. As for them being clear, its not very hard to keep them out of light. Throw em in a box or a dark place around your home. Post your results if you try it

Pressure in vs pressure out. Different stories.

I use them all the time to clean and store yeast... no ill effect yet.

Tindel wrote:

+1 - I have only used them for starters, or for collecting slurry from a carboy....or cargirl :huh:

nyoung wrote:

Tindel wrote:

+1 - I have only used them for starters, or for collecting slurry from a carboy....or cargirl :huh:

I'm pretty sure the pc term is carPeoples

Guest System Admin

I just sent an email to the jar mfg for their input. Also, I had forgotten an exploding mason jar I had a few years ago. It was a batch of sauerkraut that I had screwed the lid on too tight ... boom! Fermentation pressure was too much for the jar.

Storage with out pressure or with vaccuum is defenitely OK with the use of the approved lids and rings.

Will post the results of email to Ball/Mason when it arrives.

drinking HB in a fruit jar is a sign of elegance...

years ago that was the container of choice for moonshiners...I do it in deference to my old North Carolins buds...

Beerlabelman wrote:

Here's my Mason Jar :chug: IMG_1943-20110329.JPG

i remember those jars from south east Kentucky, they (we) drank from them all the time. all the ones i used to have are now broken :( but that looks nice tho

Guest System Admin

Here is the comment given by the mfg of Mason/Kerr canning jars:

Dear Mr. Ferron:

We appreciate your inquiry. The home canning jar is not a pressure vessel and the home canning lid may not hold a highly carbonated product such as beer.

Thank you for contacting us.

Regards,

Consumer Affairs

Jarden Home Brands