Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nurb

Maximum time for fermentation?

This is the recipe I'm talkin about:
http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=124&func=view&catid=9&id=140179

I've just reached my 5th week of fermenting, and over the weeks I've noticed the taste slooooowly getting towards what I'm going for. 2nd week it was both apple-cidery and earthy bitter, 3rd week it mellowed, 4th the malts started to come, and today it tastes like it's beginning to balance out, but the spice is still a bit dominate with a liiittle noticable cidery taste hanging around. It doesn't taste like flat beer yet either.

So I'm wanting it to continue for another week, but I don't want it to spoil on me, and wondering how long is TOO long with this. The sediment is taking a while to settle, but I don't see any mold or scuzz on top besides the leftover foam on the sides from the first days of fermentation.

thanks in advance

5 weeks is a long time i would bottle now its done fermenting it will further condition in the bottle

I thought it was a long time too, but the taste just kept improving and it didn't quite taste like 'flat beer' so I posed the question. I guess I'll get to bottling and wait and see.

Nurb wrote:

I thought it was a long time too, but the taste just kept improving and it didn't quite taste like 'flat beer' so I posed the question. I guess I'll get to bottling and wait and see.

I'd bottle it and let it continue improving in the bottle. There's more of a chance at having something go wrong with an extended time in the fermenter than an extended time in the bottle.

What you have going for you is the 'bulk conditioning' versus the 'bottle conditioning'. Many experienced brewers claim that this yields a better brew in the end.

I'm not against leaving the beer in the primary for a while, I just don't know how long the 'open' style of the MrB kegs will last before all the CO2 escapes. 4 weeks? I wouldn't sweat it. 5 weeks - I'd start thinking about bottling.

I posed this question (how long can we ferment in the MrB kegs?) to the brewmasters here and they are planning on addressing this in an upcoming podcast.

Guest System Admin

What about those of us who don't do Podcast? :(

dferron wrote:

What about those of us who don't do Podcast? :(