Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
marblejones

New to the game!!!

Read a lot of things before making my first brew tonight. There is a lot of knowledge on this site. Look forward to learning and meeting everyone.

Thanks
Mark

Welcome... you are correct lots of knowledge here... Patience and time will fix most mistakes I also am new to this fermenting batch #6.... lots of good people with plenty of answers here

Welcome to the obsession Mark! Lots o' good people on here to answer any questions you may have. They have helped me a lot!

Cheapest option is to go out and get club soda or soda bottles. but do your self a favor and grab some pry cap free beer bottles. (the beer is free you pay for the bottles) you will want them after a few batches trust me :blink:

MuHaaaHAHAhaahahaaaaa!.... uh ... I mean ... Welcome Aboard!!

for bottles

buy some good beer, drink it, and spend 15 bucks on a capper. I too started off buying some seltzer bottles, and found myself recycling them after a month or two.

Whats if you used New Castle bottles. I know that they are clear but if you have them in the closet in the dark they should be ok.

Welcome aboard! Plastic bottles are easy, but I recommend glass bottles. I just like the traditional bottled ale, & feel more comfortable when giving them away to co-workers & friends to taste.

Anything that is good for pry off caps should work as long as you keep them in the dark. I get my thermometers from petco or Petsmart fish department.

You can also get smaller plastic bottles from the canada dry small 6-8 oz bottles they sell in the store. I prefer glass bottles, which when you pour usually equals 10-11 oz due to the trub left over. But whatever works for you.

Welcome! Glad to have you aboard.

You can use Newcastle bottles, even though they're clear. As you said, if you keep them in the dark, they should be fine. I've never used them myself, but my routine when bottling is to put the packs in black plastic garbage bags. This way, if there's a bottle grenade, at least the spillage will be contained. And it's another layer against the light, thus killing two birds with one stone.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be Assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: We have BEER.

Smaller bottles, as in less than a liter? When I first started out, I could still drink Budwiser in the 16oz PET bottles. I'd just use the caps off of Pepsi or any other soft drink I was enjoying at the time. They, the Bud bottles, are good for about 5 cycles before they start seperating internally. Other than that, any bottle that had carbinated stuff in it will work. With Soda bottles, wash with cold water, otherwise, you'll fix that flavor into the plastic. :stout:

marblejones wrote:

Looks like the stick on thermometer that I bought at Wal Mart is garbage

I have four of them....I find that I have to shine a flashlight at them to see the temp. But don't shine it too long or it will start climbing because of the heat of the bulb.....and you will get a false reading. Welcome to the obsession.

I looked around for what bottles to use too. I ended up getting 4 4-packs of Grolsh pints, which should be enough for the 2 gal batch.

Buying similar 16z stopper-top bottles costs more (like $3.50 per bottle) and you have to put the wire and stopper together yourself. Grolsh bottles on the other hand, were $2 per bottle ($7.99/4pk), came pre-assembled, and were full of Grolsh. Ya just can't beat that deal.

But I might go to bigger bottles in the future if bottling is a pain (I'm still on my 1st batch and won't be bottling it until this weekend).

you'll want to get containers (read:bottles) that you will drink at one time. Otherwise, you're mixing up the trub, and possibly drinking flat beer.

FedoraDave wrote:

Welcome! Glad to have you aboard.

You can use Newcastle bottles, even though they're clear. As you said, if you keep them in the dark, they should be fine. I've never used them myself, but my routine when bottling is to put the packs in black plastic garbage bags. This way, if there's a bottle grenade, at least the spillage will be contained. And it's another layer against the light, thus killing two birds with one stone.

Good point about bagging your brews to guard against bottle bombs. I think I will just start doing that...I normally put them in rubbermaid totes, but they don't fit all too well inside...can't stack bottles 2-high inside...and the totes aren't the right shape as the bottles clank around and such. With partially filled totes it is inefficient for my limited storage space. And they weigh a ton with beer in them!

Oh, and just name the time and place...I want to kill some birds with stones too! :woohoo:

Welcome marblejones!

Yes I want another keg right now and I dont want to wait two weeks on delivery. Does anyone know where you can buy Mr. Beer products at a store???

Bed Bath & Beyond carries it during the holidays. I would start there. You can also try some Walmarts or Targets. I've also heard of bait and tackle shops carrying it.

marblejones wrote:

Read a lot of things before making my first brew tonight. There is a lot of knowledge on this site. Look forward to learning and meeting everyone.

Thanks
Mark

Welcome to the board. You are already ahead by finding this forum and reading before you started,it will help with a lot of first time mistakes (I was a year making beer before I came here) and learned so much now. Brew-on

Read that some people have found kegs at CVS or Walgreens but it seems that mainly happens after the holidays.

marblejones wrote:

Yes I want another keg right now and I dont want to wait two weeks on delivery.

I've ordered from their store once, but I got the order pretty quickly. Less than a week IIRC.

The only place I've seen them here in a non-holiday situation is at Bass Pro Shop and at a local hardware store. I've only seen them in the holidays at those locations and at BB&B. Our CVS, Target, Sears, KMart, etc. do not carry them for the holidays, even though the Mr. B site until recently listed them as vendors. You can go to this link to enter your zip and find local retailers. It appears to have been updated somewhat recently to reflect their current vendors.

Also, though they don't sell it in the store, you can also ship-to-store Mr. B equipment and refills for free at WalMart...