Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
marblejones

Fruits

Ok questions. How do you use the fruit that Mr. Beer sells. Say I am brewing the American Blonde Ale what would adding fruit to that do? Is there any information on what fruits do to the flavor.

I've never used it but from what I gather from folks on this board who have, you add the fruit after initial fermentation has occurred. Meaning you brew your beer and put it in the fermentor, after 7-10 days initial fermenting has stopped, you then carefully add the fruit to the keg without splashing or stirring the wort up too much. It will impart a mild flavor to the beer of whatever fruit you choose to use. It will also raise your alcohol level by about one percent or so. I have also heard you will need to extend your fermentation time by about an extra week or so. Again, I've never used fruit so take my advice for what it is...

Thanks. I should have finished the Brewing with Mr. Beer book before I made that first batch last night. I saw the part about the fruit.

Thanks for the information

I think there is a wealth of information posted on these boards about fruit, adding fruit, etc. Using the search function will bring up loads of posts on the subject. I have not made a beer with fruit yet (except lime), but am going to soon, so I have read up on the subject. This is what I have found.

In a nutshell:

Adding fruit will impart a hint of the origional fruit flavor. There are several variaties of commercial brews available that have this (Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, etc.).

It is often thought that adding a fruit flavored extract will give a more fruity taste than using real fruit in your wort.
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/ingredients/additives/flavorings

If you wanted to use canned fruit in your beer, there are several phases that the fruit could be added to your wort.
1. At initial brewing. It is said that most of the fruit flavor goes away during the brewing process. It is also said that adding the fruit during primary fermentation (the first week or so) will increase the odds of the fruit causing high levels of krausen (the floaty stuff on top of the wort)that can overtake your keg and make a big ol mess.
2. At secondary fermentation (the second week - day 7 of fermentation). I have read that the flavor of the fruit sticks around a bit more and there is less chance of a krausen foam-over.

Hope this helps. Search the site and you will get tons of info.

Wait a week to add fruit I've done three batches with fruit and added it right away . There is no fruit flavor in any of them and all have a weird taste that doesn't seem to condition out