Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
marblejones

Got another Keg 3 Days after I got my first one

Got my second Premium Gold Edition Beer Kit today after three days of getting my first one. Does anyone have a good idea for me of adding anything extra to the Blonde Ale that comes with the kit?

Guest System Admin

Same here....I just ordered keg #4 after starting this "hobby" 5 months ago

Cheers! :chug:

I got that in my keg right now. I added 4 TBSP of fresh lemon juice and boiled and dumped some peels in too. Ill let you know how it turns out in a few weeks.

Not to quash your enthusiasm, but I seriously recommend taking it easy on adjuncts and additions for your first few brews. I speak from experience, because I went pretty far off the reservation when I first started.

Then I realized I was experimenting with unknown quantities. I didn't know what the Cowboy Golden Lager tasted like, so how could I know what would work well with it? See what I mean? I had some successes, but really, I was flying blind. It happens a lot, to be honest. It's the Kid-In-A-Candy-Store Syndrome mixed with the urge to play Mad Scientist.

There's nothing wrong with adding adjuncts and additions to the standard Mr. Beer extracts. Lots of experienced brewers on these forums use Mr. Beer extracts as the base for many or all of their recipes. But know what you're working with. If you want more flavorful beer, or more exotic beer, or higher ABV beer, look into the refills and recipes Mr. Beer has developed.

Be patient with yourself, and you'll progress faster than you think.

ah hell, i got the bug too just after my first batch a few months ago also. and i went and got a more beer 5 gallon kit with an 8 gallon brew kettle. I will brew that one tomorrow for certain as my burner for it is at walmart waiting for me to pick up. :woohoo:

FedoraDave wrote:

Not to quash your enthusiasm, but I seriously recommend taking it easy on adjuncts and additions for your first few brews.

+1 :)

thanks for the help. I wont turn into the mad scientist because I dont want to waste the money that I got invested so far without even tasting anything. I am going to get the add ons for the Blonde Ale and the Cowboy Lager that come with the Gold kit.

marblejones wrote:

Got my second Premium Gold Edition Beer Kit today after three days of getting my first one. Does anyone have a good idea for me of adding anything extra to the Blonde Ale that comes with the kit?

Steep 1/4 pound of Light Crystal Malt, and dry hop it with some cascade. That should kick it up a notch :)

I got my second one pretty quick too, because of after christmas clearance prices. I rushed and started playing with recipes too quickly as well. Can't say I regret it too much though, the only recipes mistakes I made are the witty monk which was too orangey (which mellowed over time and turned out awesome) and the honey maibock which didn't taste anything like honey and was a little too bitter (but still very drinkable after some conditioning). Still it is a very valid point, if you don't know what its supposed to taste like how can you figure out what your additions are doing (unless the only thing you can taste is pure zesty orangeness, then you can be pretty sure you added too much orange).

when i do a receipe for the first time i do it straight up no mods or additions. it becomes a baseline taste for next time. dont forget to make notes on the first receipe so you can remember what it tastes like in case you go overboard and really make a mistake