Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DrunkenTaz

useing dme to prim?

I will be bottleing tomorow. 4/4. I want to try using dme. to prim with. how much should I use?. same as sugar 3/4 teaspoon. thanks.
Ed

I assume you are bottling priming since you called out the measurement for table sugar. I've only batch primed with DME, so I can't help with the bottle amounts, sorry.

To clarify: I also boiled the DME in water and then primed, so I didn't add it dry. I'd be concerned with it clumping in a bottle-prime situation, but maybe somebody here DOES bottle prime with it and can chime in.

Ive never used it for priming (though ive used it quite a bit in my batches), but every time ive read about it being used it was as kealia said, they make a solution of it and then prime. I would think bottle priming with it dry you would have to shake the hell out of the bottles to mix it.

Guest System Admin

What are the benefits of priming with DME?

Are you able to control the sweetness better (as in maybe you do not want to add any sweetness)?

Someone else pointed out that it's far cheaper to prime with table or corn sugar than with DME, and you don't really get any flavor difference between the three methods since it's such a small amount of sugar. I haven't tried it myself, so I can't say for certain, but their advice was to just go with sugar and save the DME for starters or other brews.

From my readings, DME more used to batch prime and is better with head retention than corn sugar but I have no 1st hand experience.