Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jenta

Oh my god whats happened?

I have just discovered that my very first brew which i have been very patient with was placed into the fridge last night and what was crystal clear has become CLOUDY!!!! Whats happened and will it come clear again soon?
heres the rundown:
Coopers lager 1,7kg hopped malt extract and 1kg dextrose 5 gal brewed at 70 deg F for 10 days,
Bottled and primed in bottle left at 70 deg for another 2 weeks for carbonation, removed to temp of 62 deg for another 2 weeks to condition. All was going well and beer was crystal clear placed it in fridge with intentions to cool it down for a couple of days the consume it and skite about how good a brewer I am but DISASTER!!!
Please help.

Is it ruined?
Have i done something wrong?

Prob Chill Haze. If you take one out and bring to room temp and it clears up, thats what ya got. No big deal flavor wise. Not sure but maybe the short 10 day ferm time left to many proteins in the solution...not sure...just winging it. RDWHAHB.JPG

Yep, no worries. It won't affect the taste or character of your beer at all. Chill haze happens. Enough time in the fridge and it would clear again. All it means is that you can forgo your daily tofu. Beer is food after all. :P

thank god it will clear. Been coping flack about amount of time spent on brewing beer and she would have a good laugh at my expense if i had foul tasting beer!

I think it would be a shame if she laughed at you rather than sympathized with your disappointment. That would just be mean.

My wife got me started with this hobby by giving me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas, and she's watched as over the last 14 or 15 months I've immersed myself in the hobby. I've got 3 Mr. Beer kegs in a closet in the ManCave and 5-gallon kit. My brother and I recently built an 8' X 2' brewing/bottling station in the basement. I hoard empty bottles, I bought a small refrigerator just for my brews and brewing ingredients. I commandeer the kitchen every weekend to brew, trying my best to co-ordinate it for when she's out running errands and buying groceries.

She doesn't drink beer; doesn't drink alcohol at all, in fact. She listens to me plan and speculate and act like a Mad Scientist and brag and fret and all the stuff we do as homebrewers.

But she never, EVER ridicules me or my hobby. She knows how much it means to me, and how much enjoyment I derive and pride I take, and how hurtful it would be if she acted that way. Her overall disinterest I can take; I can even understand it, and I try to soft-pedal my enthusiasm because I know she doesn't understand it the way I do. I save that for my brother and my nephew and the Borg.

As I said, that would just be mean.

My wife doesn't ridicule, and bought me stuff (extra fermenter, ingredients, etc.) But, she does not always take it well when I do something like skip dinner or forgo some chores because I'm brewing.

I'm away alot on the motorcycle, too, so I have to reevaluate. Nah.

With the exception of the two lagers we've done all our ales have some chill haze. It may take a few days to never for the haze to settle out. It wont hurt you.

invest in some Irins Moss, add that (1/4 tsp) to the boil at the 10 min mark. That should help prevent that.

I have brewed, to date, 92 batches, the 92nd is the Maibock, fermenting in the garage. More on that coming in another thread.

Anyhoo, many batches that I fully expected to be clear (e.g. a 2row mash with no specialty grains or adjuncts) were cloudy, and many batches I expected to be cloudy where crystal clear. The clearest beer I ever made so far was mostly 2row, but with cane sugar adjunct, well within ratio). Almost too clear to believe it came from a primary fermenter with no racking or cold crashing of any sort.

I don't cold crash. I don't rack. I don't bottle bucket or batch prime. Some beers are cloudy, some are pretty clear, some very clear.
I guess there are too many variables for me to bother with. When I get a cloudy beer, (they're all cloudy if you pour trub into glass, heh heh) I ask myself "so, how's the beer?" "KICK ASS!"

Oh well I hope it clears but clear or not it is being tried for the first time tomorrow! Wish me luck.