Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Headnodic

Quick clarification pertaining to hop sacks

The instructions for Mad Dog IPA read:

2.5. Once the Booster™ is fully dissolved bring to a boil. Add Northern Brewer and Columbus hops (in hop sack). Boil for 5 minutes (stir occasionally), then remove from heat. Add 1 cup of dark brown sugar, stir to mix well.

2.6. Stir HME and UME into mixture. This mixture is called the wort.

NOTE: HOPS MAY APPEAR AS GREEN LEAF PARTICLES AND WILL NOT DISSOLVE. KEEP HOPS IN FERMENTER THE ENTIRE FERMENTATION PERIOD.

2.7. Pour wort into keg. Bring the volume of the keg to the 8.5-quart mark by adding more cold water. Add Cascade hops (in hop sack) Stir vigorously to mix well.

Am I supposed to put the boiled hop sack, AND the unboiled cascade hops into the fermenter? Or do I only put the unboiled cascade hops into the fermentor?

Headnodic wrote:

The instructions for Mad Dog IPA read:

2.5. Once the Booster™ is fully dissolved bring to a boil. Add Northern Brewer and Columbus hops (in hop sack). Boil for 5 minutes (stir occasionally), then remove from heat. Add 1 cup of dark brown sugar, stir to mix well.

2.6. Stir HME and UME into mixture. This mixture is called the wort.

NOTE: HOPS MAY APPEAR AS GREEN LEAF PARTICLES AND WILL NOT DISSOLVE. KEEP HOPS IN FERMENTER THE ENTIRE FERMENTATION PERIOD.

2.7. Pour wort into keg. Bring the volume of the keg to the 8.5-quart mark by adding more cold water. Add Cascade hops (in hop sack) Stir vigorously to mix well.

Am I supposed to put the boiled hop sack, AND the unboiled cascade hops into the fermenter? Or do I only put the unboiled cascade hops into the fermentor?

I don't get why they don't have you add 1/3 of the UME before you add the hop to boil...But to answer your question.. I think most people dry hop after primary fermentation is done. Is this a Mr Beer direction?

From my understanding the hops will infuse with the Booster, maybe not as well as with an UME but it will none the less. And I would put it all in the keg for the fermentation cycle.

that would be correct. hops need something to bind to, booster is better than water but ume or lme would be better.

Headnodic wrote:

Just speaking from personal experience, I always put all the boiled hop sacks into the fermenter, wouldn't want to lose out on fermenting any of the wort sugars that may get trapped in the hop sack. I'd be interested to hear reasons for not including boiled hop sacks in the fermenter.

when i did my 5 gallon batch, the hops were all but gone so i didnot include them in the 6 gallon plastic carboy. it was a heavy rolling boil for 60 minutes that they were in so i tossed

I brewed the Mad Dog 3.5 weeks ago and added the boiled hop sacks to the fermenter and only took them out when I was finished bottling this past weekend.
Drank my hydrometer sample and everything tasted great. Will have to see how hoppy it is in 3 months when it is done conditioning. Can tweek the recipe next time around if needed.

Guest System Admin

I read somewhere that if your boil is more than 35 min that the hops are "used up" and no real benefit to leaving in, BUT... would not hurt to leave them in either.

I usually remove hops from the longer boils (20+ minutes). For shorter boils I sometimes leave them, but I sanitize a pair of tongs and transfer the hop sack into the keg before pouring to avoid them getting stuck on the lip of the pot or "ker-splashing" in and spilling wort.

Not sure if leaving them in or taking them out changes the flavor as I haven't done the same batch both ways to test.