Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
powers1334

advantages/disadvantages of batch primin?

I am wondering if it is something that Id be interested in doing. is it simply easier than bottle priming because you measure the sugar one bottle at a time? anyone who batch primes...why?...anyone who has tried but bottle primes instead? just curious if this is a step worth taking. all input is greatly appreciated.

i think it is easier and its one more step to make sure less trub gets in the bottles

I just did my first batch prime last weekend. Even though it took about the same amount of time, I found the process easier than bottle priming, and I didn't have to worry about forgetting to put sugar in one of the bottles.

I plan on batch priming most of my batches from now on, though if I do a standard recipe in 1L bottles I may bottle prime for the fun of it.

the "trub bottle" does not exist as the residual trub is dispersed evenly amongst all bottles.

I have batch primed for a few batch's using honey in my 1st and corn sugar in the next 2. The one w/ honey is the only one I have tried and I have gotten varying degrees of carb bottle to bottle. This contradicts the main benefit, even carb through each bottle. but I think I may have not diluted the heated honey enough causing it to settle and thus create uneven results. Beyond that I can't testify on my personal experience but I know most who do it really prefer it for the even carb and time needed to bottle is reduced (I can testify the time is a big plus)

I have batch primed my last 6 batches and find that its easier, not necessarily faster. And one more thing to sanatise. But I don't think ill go back to bottle priming unless my slimline breaks :laugh:

can anyone fill me in on the process? i am limited in my knowledge of batch priming...i use basic table sugar to bottle prime...what would i use?...do you gently pour into the slimline? etc...i like the idea of no trub bottle, if nothing else. i am definately liking that. i have a brew(from one of my first batches) with a half inch of trub settled on the bottom. thank god i keep corona bottles around for my last bottle...

I fill my slimline half with the beer then I will have prepared 1 cup boiling with water with 5-7 tablespoon of sugar (depends on desired Carb level) stirred up real well. Cool the sugar water and add that to the half full slimline carefullg tk avoid oxidizing your brew. Then add the rest of the brew. A bottling wand fits In the slimline spigot (may have to shave off a little)

I've batch primed from the beginning, except for one batch which I bottle primed. That one experience was so frustrating, I won't repeat it.

A lot of which method you choose is personal preference and what you've become used to, I think. I think it would be tedious to measure sugar for each bottle, then invert each bottle a couple of times after capping. Maybe that works okay for 2 liter PET bottles, but I use 12 oz. glass bottles. I'm not doing that for nearly two dozen bottles.

I've also developed a rhythm and a sort of multi-tasking throughout the process that saves me time and wasted motion. But I've batch primed 30-something batches, so it would be more surprising if I hadn't developed some proficiency with the process.

I like the uniform carbonation I can count on with batch priming, and I think the preparation time is reduced. Once I've got the keg drained, it's just filling the bottles and capping.

Like Dave Ive bottled all but my first by batch prime. The first one was in 1 liters, and although it didn't take long I had really uneven carb and lots of trub. I'm sure I could do it better and eliminate those problems, but I have already done so using batch priming so I see no reason to go back. I use on of the new spigots that they sent out for the trial with 2.5 ft of hose and a bottling want and simply line the bottles up on the ground and have at it. Goes pretty smooth. I also think its a lot better of a method if you intend to use honey.

so it seems that the main advantage is saving a bit of time measuring sugar(would be great) and avoiding more trub(also great)...IM IN! now the process is where i am not up to speed. How do you make the transfer? Is it a top to top, gentle pour...a spigot to top pour(doesnt seem like the right option), or do you syphon into the slimline? temps the same as bottle priming? Im sorry for so many questions.

powers1334 wrote:

so it seems that the main advantage is saving a bit of time measuring sugar(would be great) and avoiding more trub(also great)...IM IN! now the process is where i am not up to speed. How do you make the transfer? Is it a top to top, gentle pour...a spigot to top pour(doesnt seem like the right option), or do you syphon into the slimline? temps the same as bottle priming? Im sorry for so many questions.

You want to avoid as little airation as possible. I got a 6 foot piece of tubing from home depot for $3 its 5/8" in and 1/2" od and it dogs snugly on the STANDARD Mr beer spigot. I then put the slimline I'm the floor and hold the spigot down. Once half full I slowly pour the sugar in then fill the rest of the way with beer.

powers1334 wrote:

then 2 weeks in the slimline at 68-74...bottle....repeat right?

No. If you are using the slimline as a secondary you would not add the sugar. If you are batch priming you do as I stated above and bottle from the slimline immediately.

OK, I'm about to go out and get tubing for my locking spigot. In another thread, I was told the 5/8" 1/2" would work for that. TMed, any reason you emphasized that you are using the regular spigot? Just because you aren't sure about the locking spigot or because you know it to be different?

SenorPepe wrote:

OK, I'm about to go out and get tubing for my locking spigot. In another thread, I was told the 5/8" 1/2" would work for that. TMed, any reason you emphasized that you are using the regular spigot? Just because you aren't sure about the locking spigot or because you know it to be different?

Just not sure about it. But it does work on my slimline as well tho not as snug. I tried to get locking spigot on my last brew club order but they were out so I just got a bottling wand. There is noting I want on the Mr beer site right now to justify a order.

OK cool. Thanks. I've got a few clamps I can use to tighten it on there if necessary. Real PITA when you need one little accessory from MB.

SenorPepe wrote:

I use that size tubing on my locking spigot and it fits perfectly. I used it last weekend with no problems.

Guest System Admin

OK, so let me see if I've got this straight: 5/8" OD tubing will fit around the outside of the locking spigot, correct?

Next question: I've got a slimline and a bottling wand. What tubing will fit the slimline spigot AND the bottling wand? By my crude measurements:
Wand - 3/8" OD 1/4" ID
Slimline - 5/8" OD 5/16" ID
Doesn't sound like good matchup for one piece of tubing. No matter how you try to put the inner & outer dimensions together, it seems like there'd be a poor fit at one end or the other. Am I wrong about that?

I'm beginning to think that a second keg w/ locking spigot is a better choice for batch priming, since the wand fits so nicely inside the spigot. Just rack to the second keg w/ either 5/8" OD or 3/8" ID tubing and then hook the wand to the second keg and bottle....

TMed wrote:

powers1334 wrote:

You want to avoid as little airation as possible. I got a 6 foot piece of tubing from home depot for $3 its 5/8" in and 1/2" od and it dogs snugly on the STANDARD Mr beer spigot. I then put the slimline I'm the floor and hold the spigot down. Once half full I slowly pour the sugar in then fill the rest of the way with beer.

Crazy Climber wrote:

OK, so let me see if I've got this straight: 5/8" OD tubing will fit around the outside of the locking spigot, correct?

Next question: I've got a slimline and a bottling wand. What tubing will fit the slimline spigot AND the bottling wand? By my crude measurements:
Wand - 3/8" OD 1/4" ID
Slimline - 5/8" OD 5/16" ID
Doesn't sound like good matchup for one piece of tubing. No matter how you try to put the inner & outer dimensions together, it seems like there'd be a poor fit at one end or the other. Am I wrong about that?

I'm beginning to think that a second keg w/ locking spigot is a better choice for batch priming, since the wand fits so nicely inside the spigot. Just rack to the second keg w/ either 5/8" OD or 3/8" ID tubing and then hook the wand to the second keg and bottle....

The bottling wand should fit in the slimline spigot. It may be a slightly tight fit, but it'll go in. I was going to give some more specific instructions, but last time I did, people thought I was talking about something completely different.

TMed wrote:

I have batch primed my last 6 batches and find that its easier, not necessarily faster. And one more thing to sanatise. But I don't think ill go back to bottle priming unless my slimline breaks :laugh:

All Hail the Mighty Slimline !!!

KJI wrote:

TMed wrote:

@ $7 YOU BETTER BELIVE!

Guest System Admin

bpgreen wrote:

The bottling wand should fit in the slimline spigot. It may be a slightly tight fit, but it'll go in. I was going to give some more specific instructions, but last time I did, people thought I was talking about something completely different.

Wow - when I put the wand up to the spigot, it seemed like it would be impossible to get it inside without risking breaking the wand! (Basically, trying to fit 6/16 into 5/16.) Guess I'll have to give it another try.

(And yes, I'm still talking about bottling equipment. ;) )

TMed wrote:

KJI wrote:

TMed wrote:

@ $7 YOU BETTER BELIVE!

I love mine and you're right .... you cant beat the price!

Crazy Climber wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Wow - when I put the wand up to the spigot, it seemed like it would be impossible to get it inside without risking breaking the wand! (Basically, trying to fit 6/16 into 5/16.) Guess I'll have to give it another try.

(And yes, I'm still talking about bottling equipment. ;) )

I Took a steak knife to it and gently shaved a very little bit off the indside.

Guest System Admin

Good call, Tmed. I tried again this morning and realized there was no way the wand was going to fit in side the slimline spigot. But after a few seconds with a 3/8" drill bit, all was right in the batch priming world.