Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Russellr2d2

Liquid Yeast

I received my box of goodies from Mr. Beer today and it included a pouch of liquid yeast. WOW ! The pouch is BIG!

Do we use the whole thing in our 2.13 Mr. Beer barrel ?????

I do. I don't know how you would even begin to save any if you were to use less, unless you were doing two batches at the same time and split the pack.

I've always had good luck with the liquid yeasts.

Chezjuan wrote:

I do. I don't know how you would even begin to save any if you were to use less, unless you were doing two batches at the same time and split the pack.

DITTO.

Chezjuan wrote:

+1. No use splitting unless you are doing 2 batches or making a starter.

I use the whole thing unless I purposely want to underpitch. If you want more mileage its better to harvest the cake or the krausen.

Dr. Dink posted his method for splitting smack packs in this thread (click).

I've done it myself now with great success, you just need to make a starter to step up the yeast quantity. I now have 2 strains of yeast in my fridge that I've done this with, and I'm currently harvesting yeast from a bottle of Bell's Oberon, which I plan on splitting and putting in the fridge as well.

In one of the threads around here, I read that yeast will keep for up to a year in the fridge using this method. For me, it makes sense to do this for yeasts I know I'm going to use in the next few months, but if I was doing a specialty brew using a strange yeast strain, I'd probably just pitch the whole pack and be done with it.

Ok everyone, so I just go ahead and toss the entire packet full of yeasties into my Mr Beer barrel, even though the quantity of these packets is really for 5 gal. ? Ok thats wierd....but Ok....

Thanks!!!
:laugh:

PS: Raptor, I like your avatar too! Any interest in droids, PM me.

Russellr2d2 wrote:

Ok everyone, so I just go ahead and toss the entire packet full of yeasties into my Mr Beer barrel, even though the quantity of these packets is really for 5 gal. ? Ok thats wierd....but Ok....

Thanks!!!
:laugh:

PS: Raptor, I like your avatar too! Any interest in droids, PM me.

It's really hard to overpitch. It's possible, but unless you're looking for specific contributions (like fruity esters) from the yeast, you're far more likely to have problems from underpitching than overpitching.

+1 for what bp said, plus a smack pack is just barely adequate for a 5 gal batch. Anything too much over 1055 with 5 gal and you need to make a starter. Anyway by the time fermentations done with the yeast will have multiplied considerably and you can bottle them then for future use.