Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
KJI

Help with Cider Dilemma

Basically, I have 1 1/2 gal of cider that is getting close to bottling and 1/2 gal of unfermented cider in the frig. I'm not sure how to go about sweetening it up some for SWMBO without using lactose and still have it carbed.

How do you back-sweeten with cider and then carb? without the yeasties going all crazy again. My LHBS said I should use the potassium sorbate tabs and back-sweeten, but to my knowledge this will kill the yeasties and I won't have any carb if I do this and then bottle.

Also, Can you use cider to prime your cider and if so how much? I'm not looking to back-sweeten it here just carb.

Why not backsweeten it? Is it just lactose she has a problem with? Xyilitol will work just keep it away from dogs. I used it in my cider. It will reduce the conditioning time as well. As for priming with cider I have no clue. You would have to find the sugar content for that ptaticular brand of cider.

Edit: I'm brewmaster now! Post 500 :woohoo:

I think back-sweetening is also known as "cutting". Basically pour a small amount of regular cider in the glass, then fill the rest of the way with hard cider.

If the cider is already fermented, your only options at this point is lactose at bottling, or cutting it at drinking time.

There's inverted sugar, but you should put that in at brewing time.