Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
marblejones

American Blonde Ale

Okay my first brew American Blonde Ale has been fermenting for a week. I drew a small amount to taste and it taste flat and no sugery taste. What should it look like? It looks like a weak orange orange juice.

Any help would be awesome!!!

Guest System Admin

All brews benefit from 2 weeks (3 is better) in the fermenting keg. But, if it taste like flat beer, not sweet, it is ready. I say give it 14 days, then bottle. Leave it in the bottle for 4 weeks for best carb and taste. I would also suggest on getting/using a hydrometer. Takes the guess work out of it.

ok I am in no rush of rushing the process so I will wait longer. Smells like beer. Is there any harm in leaving the beer in the keg too long? Also it is cloudy. This goes away I am assuming the longer it sits in the bottle?

Guest System Admin

Rule of thumb, 21 days max. If your really worried about the cloudiness, do as yd says and cold crash for 3 days, it helps to settle out some of the proteins. Either way, it does not affect the taste. It's only for looks, and I don't care what it looks like as I drink it, only about the taste and how quick it knocks me on my arse.

That's why I said cold crash it. Give it about 21 days (that way you know its done), at day 21, drop that puppy in the fridge. leave it there for about 3 days. Pull it out, and bottle strait away.

Sounds like a plan. I have the Cowboy Lager fermenting in my bedroom closet. That has been in the keg about three days. So soon there will be plenty of beer to go around!

one would think...but then, I've 5 MB kegs, 2 5gal conical fermenters, 2 5 gallon fermenters...and more options...but..wait...did I type that out?

Since I bought my second gold kit three days after I brewed my fist beer I have a second Blonde Ale and Cowboy Lager. Looking at getting the ingrediants to make the Blonde Bombshell! Not sure what I am going to make with the Cowboy Lager.

Guest System Admin

Good luck with it. You'll be surpised how quick it will get drunk, or drank, whichever.... LOL

My american blode ale has been in the fermenter almost two weeks. Besides tasting flat it taste week like not enought flavor. Any suggestions

marblejones wrote:

Since I bought my second gold kit three days after I brewed my fist beer I have a second Blonde Ale and Cowboy Lager. Looking at getting the ingrediants to make the Blonde Bombshell! Not sure what I am going to make with the Cowboy Lager.

I had the same - made Blonde Bombshell (conditioning now) and Cascadia Pale Ale (fermenting) with the Cowboy. You can look at the recipes and pick up the extra ingredients.

if you want more flavor, that means more body. that means a grain steep and that is easy as pie. but it will give greater flavor and body :)

marblejones wrote:

My american blode ale has been in the fermenter almost two weeks. Besides tasting flat it taste week like not enought flavor. Any suggestions

Is this a standard refill? The standard refills are a little bland if you do them as-is.

I like to start with a standard refill, but add malt and do a hop boil.

What kind of flavor are you looking for? Are you looking for more bitterness? If so, you want to add a hop boil. Are you looking for more body and/or malt flavor and/or sweetness? If so, add more malt. If you're looking for more malt flavor and/or body, but not more sweetness, add more malt and boil some hops.

Steeping a specialty grain can add more body and flavor and really isn't all that difficult. Doing a partial mash is only marginally more difficult than steeping.

I too am doing the American Blond (my second). I did the double malt version this time.. I am at week #2 and the sample I pulled off was a tad sweet and still cloudy. I am struggling with the temperature as the weather here in the northeast has not been that great. I plan on going one more week and hopefully it will clear out.

My first batch was the Standard Oktoberfest. After 2 weeks it was very clear. It has been in the bottles for 2 weeks now and I think after 3 weeks it'll go in the refrigerator..

I am hoping for some success here soon. Hopefully I have a future in home brewing :laugh:

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance IS quite Futile: We have Beer.

You might want to let it sit in the bottle 4 weeks before you put the beer in the fridge.