Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jresille

Coffee and milk stout!

I am toying with the idea of making a coffee and milk stout. I want to use lactose for the "milk." How much lactose do you think I should use for a 5 gallon batch??

That depends on how sweet you want the stout.

I actually just did this. My collaboration brew was a sweet stout and I decided to add some coffee to a few of the bottles since my favorite beer is a coffee stout from my local micro.

I did a Mr B sized batch and used 6 oz so maybe 14 for a 5 gallon batch?

I'm sure someone with more experience will know better than me tho

cdbrewer wrote:

I actually just did this. My collaboration brew was a sweet stout and I decided to add some coffee to a few of the bottles since my favorite beer is a coffee stout from my local micro.

And have you tasted it yet??

I just bottled it Sunday so the only thing I tasted was a sample before carbing. It was really good but I doubt thats the answer you are looking for

cdbrewer wrote:

I just bottled it Sunday so the only thing I tasted was a sample before carbing. It was really good but I doubt thats the answer you are looking for

Hehe, not really, but it's a start! I know it'll have to age forever, but if you remember, please keep me posted.. (Especially when you sneak the early one..)

Start with a quarter pound for the MB sized Keg, or half pound for a five gallon. Adjust from there.

Roasted Barley has coffee overtones. That's good enough for me.

Coffee, lactose? Are you shooting for something you'd like to be served in a bar, or in Starbuck's?

cdbrewer wrote:

CD's recipe came from a developed Sweet (Milk) Stout that I have brewed several times. It already has a some coffee flavor to it that comes from the roasted grains. It is excellent!!! I have the next generation in the works now which includes Golden Naked Oats to give it even more body and smoothness.

For a first Stout, you can't go wrong following his Sweet Stout Collaboration Brew.