Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
marblejones

Cidery Taste and Smell

My Cowboy Lager has been fermetning for almost two weeks. I pulled a sample and it taste a little cidery. What does this mean?

thanks

Cheers MJ :chug:
Did you add any sugar or booster?
If you added booster you're probably just picking up that taste.
Ferment for 3 weeks (make sure you're under 76 degrees) then prime & bottle as the instructions say. Wait 3 - 4 weeks after bottling (Racking) to try your 1st one. Should be good. :barman: 40487-20110416.jpg

I added the booster and my fermenting at 70-76 degrees. I was going to bottle this on Monday two days from now. I was reading that a cidery taste means your beer could be infected? Should I be worried about that?

Guest System Admin

I haven't had an infected batch yet (knock on wood). But from reading lots of posts I think that if you had bad bugs it would be virtually undrinkable and thus you'd surely know it.

I don't think you're infected. It's just the yeast fermenting the booster. It will go away over time. Brew On1 :barman:

Beerlabelman wrote:

Cheers MJ :chug:
Did you add any sugar or booster?
If you added booster you're probably just picking up that taste.
Ferment for 3 weeks (make sure you're under 76 degrees) then prime & bottle as the instructions say. Wait 3 - 4 weeks after bottling (Racking) to try your 1st one. Should be good. :barman: 40487-20110416.jpg

I agree with you. Sometimes the sugar adjunct type of ingredients will yield a cidery taste when you "taste sample" at bottling, but after conditioning, the beer tastes good. Cidery would only bother me if it was significant. If it is subtle, I'd have no problem with it. Some crafts have a little hint of that, eh.

Several of my brews have been either cidery or tangy at bottling .... time has healed them all ....lower fermenting temps are better IMHO... I learned that from the people here... also venturing into different yeasts to see how they do currently... its a rewarding feeling to let someone try one of your brews and say I made that....
as they told me early on PATIENCE ....
:P

That's why it's better, in my opinion, to use 1/2 pack of booster & 1/2 lb of DME with any standard Mr Beer mix. :drinking:

Guest System Admin

a couple of things. Most already mentioned...

1. Booster and two weeks fermenting is probably the cidery taste.
2. Letting it ferment another week will get the cidery taste out faster than when in the bottle, I think.
3. You are fermenting at temps that are a bit high. 65 to 70 is best.
4. When your beer gets infected with the crud, you will know it. It will be moldy or stink.
5. Time heals most beer worries.
6. When in doubt, ask.

Happy brewing!