Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
tcsinowski

Englishman's Nut-Brown Ale w/Mellow Amber

Ordered on Friday, Shipped today, Brew this weekend?

Any thoughts on additions to this beer?
1 Can Englishman's Nut-Brown Ale HME
1 Can Unhopped Malt Extract (UME)
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HME)
1 Packet One-Step™ Sanitizing Cleanser

all thoughts and opinions are welcomed!

It's good as is, and it's also good with willamette or fuggles or goldings added as aroma hop.

A couple of weeks ago I did this same recipe using the MA UME & fuggles, with a couple of variations. First, I steeped a cup of old fashioned oats for 30min in a hop sack. I then removed the oats, brought to a boil and added the fuggles in a hop sack & 1/2 cup of honey and boiled for 10min. Removed from heat added HME & UME, stirred and then picked up from normal MB instructions. I can't remember my OG (it's written down on top of the keg & I'm not at home),I'll be taking a 2nd reading early next week and will let you know the results & taste qualities. My intent was to try & create something close to newkies, but with a little more body.:huh:

Bottling this today, as a matter of fact. However, I added almost 1 cup of brown sugar to it. Wort tastes pretty good.....will let U know.

Bottling this today, as a matter of fact. However, I added almost 1 cup of brown sugar to it. Wort tastes pretty good.....will let U know.

Just checked my tracking and my supplies should be here tomorrow evening! All the ideas sound great! The brown sugar seems the easiest, although I do have some oats and honey laying around too....oh the choices!

Nunahi and Lylebobyle, I was wondering how it turned out?

I am interested in how it would taste with the oats, fuggles, and honey. Im pretty sure I am gonna brew this up tomorrow morning. There is a homebrew store around the corner from me and I could pick up the Fuggles and hop sacks very quickly. Let me know! Thanks again!

I made the Englishman's Nut-Brown Ale w/Mellow Amber with also a pack of booster and I boiled some liberty hops for 10mins into the booster/UME. I still have some left, but it's going fast, as it is awesome.

Of course, this brew must be delicious undoctored, because I just upped the gravity with the booster, and didn't go crazy with hops, so I'm sure it taste pretty much like the undoctored.

I love it.

Thanks Tabasco, I just remembered that I have a pack of booster at home from an old brew that I changed. I get carried away with making changes to personalize the beer.

I was excited about this one and brewed it carefully. Didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped. Not really much flavor. I think the extra hops may help, maybe booster also - my abv was on the low side. All conditions seemed good - just did't have the taste I hoped for.

Well it is brewing up something fierce in the ferminator.

I added a pack of booster, cup of light brown sugar, and .5oz of Fuggles for 10 mins, along with the UME and HME. I also have another .5oz of Fuggles that I am going to dry hop after primary ferment has ended.

I'll let you know it turns out.
Roll Tide!

Sorry tcsinowski, I was out of town this weekend & just noticed your question. :(

I have visually checked a couple of times, but nothing else as this was just brewed 4/17 & I typically leave things alone for three weeks. But since you have asked, I will do a reading/sampling tonite & will let you know :cheers:

tcsinowski, just got home & took 2nd reading.
OG - 1.052
Current G - 1.017
Drank sample, it has a rather odd aroma not sure how I would describe it. Taste is not quite as nutty as I was shooting for, pleasant hop flavor though.

Your getting close. only a few more points (4) and you should be good.

The beer has been bottled! It was darker than I originally thought it would be. It was a little bitter still but I believe that this will mellow out a little more before its ready to drink. however if it doesn't mellow then I am completely fine with that (love a good ipa).

I bottled mine a little over two weeks ago. Minw too came out a touch darker than anticipated, but I thought the IBU was perfect. Will sample around Fathers Day. :cheer:

harpdog wrote:

I was excited about this one and brewed it carefully. Didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped. Not really much flavor. I think the extra hops may help, maybe booster also - my abv was on the low side. All conditions seemed good - just did't have the taste I hoped for.

This was my first brew after what came with my Mr Beer kit, although I substituted the Creamy Brown UME for the Mellow Amber. Other than that I brewed it up straight and was fairly disappointed with the flavor. It just tasted.....thin. I ordered the oktoberfest vienna with creamy brown and the linebacker doppelbock, and was disappointed with all three. The strong dark winter seasonal, on the other hand, had tons of flavor. That is more to my taste.

bgthigfist wrote:

harpdog wrote:

This was my first brew after what came with my Mr Beer kit, although I substituted the Creamy Brown UME for the Mellow Amber. Other than that I brewed it up straight and was fairly disappointed with the flavor. It just tasted.....thin. I ordered the oktoberfest vienna with creamy brown and the linebacker doppelbock, and was disappointed with all three. The strong dark winter seasonal, on the other hand, had tons of flavor. That is more to my taste.

I have one here that's just barely ready to drink that I made with Creamy Brown as well. But I also added 8oz of DME and steeped 6oz of crystal. I added 1/4oz of Willamette @30, and another 1/4oz @5. I used S-04 yeast.

It's not thin, and it's tasty, but it is more malt forward then most of my beers.

Still seems a little green with having added the brown sugar...almost a soapy bite to it. Needs to shelf longer...