Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
woodbikefish

Hoppin' Tuscarora IPA

Last brew of the season for me, so using up some ingredients. Tried this one today: Hoppin' Tuscarora IPA

1 can Golden Wheat UME
1/4 oz. Cascade 20 min boil
1/4 oz. Cascade 5 min boil
1/2 oz. Amarillo 5 min boil

2 cans AD-IPA HME at flameout

Used SafBrew T-58 11.5 g. rehydrated in warmed, sterile water prior to pitch, instead of the Mr. B Fromunder ale yeast.

OG came in right on target (according to QBrew) at 1.061. Left the hops in the hop bag when I transferred to the fermenter, and plan on leaving the entire 3 weeks; hope that's OK. Qbrew comes in at 62 IBU.

I know that T-58 is not the proper yeast for an traditional IPA, but I had it and wanted to use it. I didn't know too much about beer before I started my first WCPA kit that I got for Christmas, so I'm not a purist yet, hence the T-58 with an IPA. I pitched around 1:PM EST, and it is ripping 5 hours later; huge krauesen. I'm a firm believer in the rehydration process, even though I understand it is not necessary for Mr. B kits. Just seems to make sense. This is what sold me on it:

http://koehlerbeer.com/2008/06/07/rehydrating-dry-yeast-with-dr-clayton-cone/

I'm excited about lucky number 13. Cheers!

Your beer, use whatever you want!! I am sure you will get beer!!! I wouldn't worry too much about the yeast.

That recipe looks good, too bad it is your last brew of the season. Too hot for fermentation after this I guess? However, this looks like a good one to end on, keep us posted with the results.

No, not too warm in the house yet. My wife thinks I'm crazy brewing this much beer, so it's become a covert operation. I have two in the little brown kegs, and about 155 bottles of beer in the cellar. I'm hooked on the whole home brew process, but she's not. Any one else lacking that encouragement and support?

Just not enough time in the day heading into the summer season, so I'll get back at it in the fall. But, I do see the Imperial Hefeweizen is now in stock.... Hmmmmm, still have an empty keg just waiting, and there's still night-time....

if you wanna start a fight, if she can't support your hobbies, deny hers. You'll die, but hey, there is beer involved.

I like T-58. I consider it to be a pretty decent yeast for Belgian or French farmhouse ales if you don't have liquid yeast on hand, it makes good wits too.

I've never tried it in an IPAish brew. With the wheat in there you will probably get a good bit of fruit along with the peppery spice from it, could get cloves too depending on temps. It should be interesting.

I use it instead of liquid yeast in a petite saison I make that uses wheat and pilsner malt, which has a very hoppy nose, and it works well with it, but I'm using tettenager, santium, and saaz in it not American hops.

I'm interested in knowing how this comes out.

is it just me, i thought that marriage was for two to become one by supporting one another. of course after divorse...... i shouldnot be speaking much oh well :(

OK, OK. Couldn't resist, so ordered two cans of the Imperial Hefeweizen. She'll be OK; I'll share. Still may have to wait a while, but I'm down to three empty LBKs, and after this IPA, I'll have four lonely kegs.

That sounds like a great brew. I had never thought of adding a wheat UME to the ADIPA, but I think it ail turn out well, especially with the added hops. Let us know how this one comes out.