Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
remington_270

Starting my first batch.....

hello, i just mixed my first batch last night. I'm doing the Cowboy Lager. I have my fermenter out of direct sunlight just like the instructions state.

How long until I start noticing "anything" in the keg? A couple days? A week?

I plan on letting it ferment for 2 weeks, bottleing, and letting it sit for 2 weeks again. I'm just curious so I know that I did everything right and it will turn out without any issues.

Thanks in advance.

remington_270 wrote:

hello, i just mixed my first batch last night. I'm doing the Cowboy Lager. I have my fermenter out of direct sunlight just like the instructions state.

How long until I start noticing "anything" in the keg? A couple days? A week?

I plan on letting it ferment for 2 weeks, bottleing, and letting it sit for 2 weeks again. I'm just curious so I know that I did everything right and it will turn out without any issues.

Thanks in advance.

You should notice something (krausen) within approximately 24 hrs, more likely less.

I'd give it 3 weeks in the fermenter unless you have a hydrometer and take readings. By tomorrow you should start to notice it working. just snif around, you'll smell beer.
also, after you bottle, leave it in the bottle for 30 days.
Read the Simple Guide Line at the top of the first section, in New Brewers and FAQ's.

Guest System Admin

Make sure that the keg temp is around 70* F when pitching the yeast (no higher than 75*)

Also 2 weeks is the minimum you want, if your not using a Hydrometer to check gravity of beer I would recommend waiting 3 weeks before bottling.

Also try to keep the keg in a cool location while fermening, if the room temp is 68* the beer in the keg is going to be 70* or more. Many here use basement for storage due to cool temps or use a cooler with two liter soda bottle filled with water to keep keg cool (if you are in hot area).

When I did my Lager, I was able to keep the keg at 50* F with only two 2ltr bottles changed regularly (as needed) in my Coleman cooler

as you're bouncing all over the place...
:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be Assimilated. Resistance is quite futile: we have BEER

I agree with these guys. My first 2 batches i followed the directions "by the book" and damn near had to throw them away. 3 weeks in the Fermentor, then a good 30 days in the bottles. Otherwise you will have a drink that tastes like beer and wine mixed. Have fun! :)

When you say let it sit in bottles for thirty days is that thirty days before you put it un the fridge

marblejones wrote:

Thanks brother

No problem. FWIW, I like to ferment for three weeks at about 66 degrees. I feel this gives the yeast the maximum opportunity to do ALL it's work. After bottling, I'll generally give it 4-8 weeks (depending on the recipe) to carb/condition before popping one in the fridge to test.

If you follow Yankeedag's advice, you'll benefit greatly.

yankeedag wrote:

I'd give it 3 weeks in the fermenter unless you have a hydrometer and take readings. By tomorrow you should start to notice it working. just snif around, you'll smell beer.
Read the Simple Guide Line at the top of the first section, in New Brewers and FAQ's.

packerduf wrote:

marblejones wrote:

Thanks brother

No problem. FWIW, I like to ferment for three weeks at about 66 degrees. I feel this gives the yeast the maximum opportunity to do ALL it's work. After bottling, I'll generally give it 4-8 weeks (depending on the recipe) to carb/condition before popping one in the fridge to test.

If you follow Yankeedag's advice, you'll benefit greatly.

yankeedag wrote:

Verily.

D. All of the above.

CGL was my first brew too. I did the 2-2-2 method, and it was still a bit green. After a couple more weeks and it was much better. I am glad that I tried it when I did. Now I know from experience how much the beer improves over time.

It is extremely difficult to be patient for that first one to condition, so I would suggest brewing up another one after you bottle, and start harvesting glass bottles for future brews as well.

Welcome to the obsession!

:cheers:

I have been sticking with the 2-2-2 method but after reading this I plan on giving my fermentation an extra week and let it condition more. I never really thought my beer tasted bad but will try it and see. Oh yes, and welcome to the board.

~aRifleman2

Guest System Admin

I wish MB would change the recipe in their instruction books not to ferment 7-10 days and then bottle and drink after 2 weeks. I followed the instructions at first (like most of us did). After tasting my first bottle I almost quit. But Thanks to this forum, I did'nt give up and got ALOT of good advise from the seasoned guys.

Almost forgot....Cheers and Welcome to the Forum REM270!
:chug:

They should really promote this in their fliers, adds, and any other item they have. They know we love the product and will help any new brewer...and a few old pharts too. :huh: shaddap dag.

Congrats remington_270, I just started brewing in February, and have 4 batches going and getting ready the fifth. Get ready to buy some more supplies, because this stuff is fun.

Everyone pretty much covered it. I would take a temp reading to see what temperature your cooler in the basement is at. The worst is too hot, but too cold could slow down the yeast which takes longer for the beer to ferment. You should really take a look at the "Simple Guidelines" thread that is stickied on the New Brewers FAQ forum. It will help answer a lot of questions.

Welcome to the Borg and just start reading and asking questions, there is a ton of information to be had and everyone is real helpful.

The one recommendation that I do have is what GWCR said and try one of your beers early so you can see how it is when you don't wait. Then try one a few weeks down the line and compare. You will actually be able to see that waiting is the way to go...just hard as hell.

I just checked it. It's sitting on a carpeted basement floor in a cooler. The temp is at 63 F. There is also some krausen, so am I safe to assume all is good???

Ok, tomorrow it will be 2 weeks in the keg at 61 degrees. The "head" is gone. How will I know FOR SURE that its ready to bottle or leave for another week or so?

make sure you read Yankeedag's Simple Guide...good luck and welcome...

Guest System Admin

To know for sure, invest in a hydrometer. Best purchase I made in a long time. It will tell you when it's done.

Also, I'd let it go another week. I bottled my first batch at 2 weeks after fermenting around 60 and it was over carbonated. No krausen so I thought it was done. Ma and Granny liked it because it was like champagne but it wasn't for me.

:borg:

Welcome!

For that brew you should be good...

Rule of thumb, more fermentables = more time (gotta let the yeasties do the job and then clean up afterwards... Less is usually quicker but generally I never ferment for less than 14 days... Sometimes I go 21 days or so...

If it's 'still', give it a taste... If it's sweet, it may need more time... If it tastes like flat beer it's probable ready...

If in doubt, give it a few more days and test again...

It's worked for me...

And I agree with Edd1619 and others, a hydrometer is about $8-$10 bucks...

I just got one and will be using it to test the OG (original gravity) and FG (final gravity) of my next batch... With it, if the FG stays the same for a few days of testing, it's ready...

As I have been counseled a number of times...

Time is your friend...

Give it another 3 or 4 days to a week...

Try it again...

If nothing has changed, it's probably ready.

Then on to the bottling phase, and more patience...

After a few weeks in the bottle...
:banana: BEER. :banana:

Guest System Admin

remington_270 wrote:

ok, so i just tasted the first batch. It tastes sweet and flat.

any suggestions???

It's not ready. Give it 21 days, then taste/bottle. Should taste like uncarbed beer. Not sweet.

it comes with instructions. It really isn't hard. What I do is just leave the hydro in the tube it comes in, add beer until it floats and take the reading.

remington_270 wrote:

ok, so i got my hydrometer. Could someone be so kind and tell me how to use it....ya i'm a rookie.

Thanks!

Clean test tube and Hydro
Fill Test tube with sanitizer and put hydro in tube
Wait 10 min
Pour out sanitizer
fill test tube until hydro floats
Spin Hydro to make sure no bubbles in tester
look at the beer line on the top of tester
This is your reading
Note temp of sample
Adjust as needed for temp variable (paper comes with hydro)

--- Edit ---

Either drink sample (my favorite) or pour back in keg (why you sanitized it)

smokediver3zero wrote:

I wish MB would change the recipe in their instruction books not to ferment 7-10 days and then bottle and drink after 2 weeks. I followed the instructions at first (like most of us did). After tasting my first bottle I almost quit. But Thanks to this forum, I did'nt give up and got ALOT of good advise from the seasoned guys.

I think their advertising "Make Great Tasting Beer in just 14 Days" is a bit of a bait-and-switch approach, but it probably gets a lot of folks to take the plunge, instead of advertising "Brew your own beer in 1.5 to 6 months!" I know a lot of folks probably would not even try home brewing if they knew how long you actually have to wait, but once you get started, you keep trying to make your beer better and better. I wish the Mr Beer instruction book had big suggestions "visit Mr Beer Community forums for all your brewing questions."

Ok, it's been another week and it tastes the same. And since i can't understand the stupid hydrometer, i'm gonna bottle it this afternoon or tonight.

Any specific tips for the bottleing process? or just follow the instructions?

Can i just put bottles in the fridge right away?

Guest System Admin

The bottles need to sit at room temp for atleast 4 weeks (Mr. Beer says 2, but don't be fooled)

Then take 1 bottle and place in fridge for 3-7days and taste.

Don't forget to post in the First pour forum :)

remington_270 wrote:

i can't understand the stupid hydrometerquote]

This will help, its a good watch!