Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brewlove

How long is too long in the fermenter?

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't been posting as much, life has been hectic, but a good kind of hectic.

Unfortunately I haven't had as much time to devote to bottling my beer so I have a batch of Jamaican Ale that has been in the fermenter since the last week of March. Have I let it go too long? Will the extended time in the fermenter help or hurt it?

Thanks!!

Should still be fine, and the yeast definitely had the time to finish things up. Since you are pushing 6 weeks, I would bottle as soon as you can.

I have a batch in one of my kegs that is currently approaching the 4 week mark and if it isn't ready by this weekend, I am going to rack it to a secondary just to be safe.

I think you'd be ok @ 6 but I agree with GWCR....get that bottled ASAP!

Guest System Admin

Does bottling asap have to do with the yeast left available to turn the priming sugar into carbonation?

Paddy OBrewski wrote:

Does bottling asap have to do with the yeast left available to turn the priming sugar into carbonation?

I don't believe so. I believe the real problem is you could develop an off taste from having your beer sitting atop all that sediment/dead yeasties.

Paddy OBrewski wrote:

You can cold crash the beer and still have enough yeast left to carbonate. As someone said already, it's all about possible off flavors from sitting on the yeast so long.

myndflyte wrote:

Paddy OBrewski wrote:

As someone said already, it's all about possible off flavors from sitting on the yeast so long.

yah, the trub breaks down and puts stinky flavors out.

Guest System Admin

Listen to Podcast #15 for the answer to "how long it too long?" That question is anwered about 3/4ths of the way through.

Anyone happen to have a table of contents for the podcasts? Not that I'm lazy, just in a spot where I can't access itunes and search all by my onesie