Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
conorek1

Standard Recipes

Any standard recipes worth making? I just got the international refills and I'm wondering if i should just combine them with other ingredients.

Guest System Admin

Welcome to the family :)

FWIW ... I think that it is good to stick with the basic recipes as designed until you get a handle on the process and flavors. I have been very satisfied with the basic brews (see my signature) and am learning more everyday about the processes and flavors. Just now starting to venture out in small steps and asking for advice as I do ... just like you are doing here.

Read the primer from Yankeedag ... Good stuff :)

The greatest lesson I am learning to to be patient!

Again, WELCOME!

I often use a standard refill as a base for a batch, but I usually add more LME or do a partial mash and I'll do a hop boil if I add more than about a pound of LME (a lot of what drives this decision is how much time I have).

I've made a couple of standard recipes already and they were pretty good. I also have grand bohemium which I haven't brewed yet. Any info on that.

Grand Bohemian is good as is, even better if you use notthingham or s05 instead of the fromunder yeast.

welcome to the borg conorek1 :cheers:

my first batch was WCPA standard (HME + booster) and my third was WCPA deluxe (HME + UME + dry hops) to me the WCPA standard was better by far. but that was me

Branching out and experimenting is good, as long as you know what you're experimenting with. As dferron said, get a handle on what the standard refills and recipes are like, and then, like bpgreen, you'll be making more intelligent choices when you mix HMEs and UMEs together, or use a Mr. Beer extract as a base for a recipe with LME or DME and adding hops and other stuff.

I like your enthusiasm and your desire to branch out and try new things. But you have to crawl before you can walk, and I know from my own experience that giving in to the Mad Scientist urges can actually slow down your progress.

In another six weeks or so, I'll be initiating the third Recipe Collaboration Exchange. It's something I've come up with to encourage Borg members at all levels of brewing experience to work together and help out new guys, try something new, and get to know each other a little better. I'm going to be announcing it shortly after Father's Day, since we may have a slight bump in membership, given the gifts that some dads may bet. Watch for it in the Community Drain Pipe.

(Sorry if I sound like I'm pimping my own idea, but your situation is tailor-made for the RCE. Also, guys who participated in it enjoyed it a lot, and thought it helped them.)

I went with the standard wcpa recipe first, then I did about 10 of the Mr. Beer Recipes. Now I am dabbling with hop boils and using dme...I am really understanding a lot now about bittering and flavor boils..using dme and so on. The point I am making is to take it slow and learn the process a bit. as you get more comfortable with the process you will make the advancments that you want to make. that said, if you want to jump right in, by all means...it is your brew.