Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BugLaden

#28 Ooh La La Saison

Expanding my horizons a bit with regards to recipes, I decided to make a Saison as one of my end-of-summer batches.

This is pretty much a clone of a recipe from Rev Evans. I went light on the hops in the hopes of letting some of the spices come through.

Code:

Ooh La La. ... Saison

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 2.40 Wort Size (Gal): 2.40
Total Extract (Lbs): 4.75
Anticipated OG: 1.085 Plato: 20.37
Anticipated SRM: 9.8
Anticipated IBU: 27.2
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.5 0.50 lbs. CaraVienne Malt Belgium 1.034 22
5.3 0.25 lbs. Victory Malt America 1.034 25
21.1 1.00 lbs. Briess DME- Weizen America 1.046 8
63.2 3.00 lbs. Briess DME- Pilsen America 1.046 4

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 7.8 30 min.
0.50 oz. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.25 11.7 30 min.
0.50 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 3.1 10 min.
0.50 oz. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.25 4.6 10 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP565 Belgian Saison I

Notes
-----

Yeast Starter 24 hours in advance

Grind in pestle & mortar, and add @ 15 min:
1/2 oz. Sweet Orange Peel
3/4 tsp Corriander
1/2 g grains of paradise

This came out excellent.

OG: 1.085
FG: 1.014
ABV: 9.42%
Attenuation: 82%!!!

I used a yeast starter with the WLP 565 and thought I might have pitched it too hot. Apparently not.

The taste was not hoppy at all. Rather it was spicy and peppery and absolutely delicious!

I'm harvesting this yeast and making another batch or two for the end of summer as soon as fermenters open.

Sounds like a good recipe. I was looking to make a saison myself. What did you do with the grains? Were those steeped?

Yep, they were all steeps. Victory can be steeped to gain color and flavor, but not to add fermentables.

I love Victory Malt and use it in most of my brews

Recipe looks great can't wait to see how it comes out

Nice timing... Just read my latest issue of BYO tonight featuring Saisons & Wits. Makes me very eager to get an empty fermenter and try my hand at the saison. Had another question though. What temperature did you ferment this at? Do you have any temperature controls? Or ideas for keeping this one a little warmer?... Unfortunately, I don't have any temperature controls. I'm hoping that we get some warmer weather this next month here in Michigan!

I usually brew with S-04, and S-05 which are optimal for my basement. In the summer it doesn't get higher than 70-72.

For this one I kept the keg in a cooler, upstairs. It stayed in the 72-75 range. If needed you could add a single frozen water bottle to the cooler to keep it at 75.

Everything I've been reading about using the saison yeast has been saying that it's actually good to ferment at higher temps in the 80's -- even up to 90F. Supposed to give it a spicier saison taste I guess. Sounds like you should be solid!

These are now online! Just cracked open my first bottle of this last night.

OMG, this is perfect. Sweet and malty, with a spicy, peppery finish. I'm bottling my second batch of this tonight.

By far, my favorite summer recipe to date. Have to wait until I taste my Hefe in a few weeks before declaring this my ultimate summer recipe.

And.... it's gone.

Drank the last of this batch last night with my bride. So far, the quickest recipe to be consumed yet. Thankfully, batch #2 is online next week!

I'm going to be fiending for these all winter...

I started brewing saisons this summer because the yeast works well into the 80's and I must say, I've become a big fan of the style. I just bottled my last 5 gallon batch of it and I only have three cases plus a six pack to get me through the winter. I'm thinking about entering it in a local competition in early October. They're judging sour ales, Belgain ales, and saisons. I was using Wyeast 3711 and carbing to 3.5 vols of CO2. I also used some table sugar in the last batch to dry it out. Can't wait to try it in four weeks.